need some opinions and some quick help need a bow asap

bassinhunter

I have an opportunity to go on a bow elk hunt that a buddy of mine may not be able to make. He bought the tag and it looks like he's going to be jammed up out of town with work. Lucky me right? Well I've never shot a bow and need some help and advice quick. I'd be going with two other friends and they have bow hunted the last few years, and are bow proficient, so I'll have some help. Anyway I need to get a bow quick but not without doing some homework. What do u guys think about bow packages like the pse bow madness? How about a used bow setup? What do you all think would be a good bow? I don't want anything starter that I'll want to upgrade later. I went to the bow shop and my draw was 28.8 he said to round down to a 28.5 draw length. Anyone have a good setup that's ready to roll at a good price? I've also heard goof things about the switchback by Mathews. Any advice or opinions would help me out.

Thanks,

Rob

YES.........I JUST BOUGHT A PACKAGE SETUP BY HOYT AND LOVE IT!!!! I KNOW THE PSE ARE GOOD BOWS....BUT RECENTLY I KNOW OF TWO THAT HAVE JUMPED THEIR CAMS.

I BOUGHT THE RAMPAGE XT AT 325FPS....28.5......COMPLETE PACKAGE. YOU WILL NEED A RELEASE, ADDITIONAL ARROWS, & BROAD HEADS. THE WHOLE MESS COST ME 1100 BUCKS VS. 1400 BUCKS FOR MOST HIGH END BOW ALONE......NO PACKAGE. YOU CAN GET THIS PACKAGE MUCH CHEAPER IF YOU ORDER IT. I WANTED THE ARCHERY SHOP SUPPORT SO I BOUGHT IT THERE...................YD.

I'm assuming you are in Utah?

If you lived in Idaho I could help you out.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

I shoot the PSE BowMadness 3G. Its a mainline bow, $600 retail. I can shoot right along with the guys that are shooting $1000-1200 bows. Some setups could cost you well over $2000.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

How much time do you have before the hunt starts? Archery hunting is not like a rifle hunt you cannot go out once or twice and be good to go. In order to be proficient with your bow you need to have time to practice, practice, practice?? If you have never bow hunted before I would give yourself at least a month to practice and get dialed in out to 30-40 yards.

400bull

>How much time do you have
>before the hunt starts? Archery
>hunting is not like a
>rifle hunt you cannot go
>out once or twice and
>be good to go. In
>order to be proficient with
>your bow you need to
>have time to practice, practice,
>practice?? If you have never
>bow hunted before I would
>give yourself at least a
>month to practice and get
>dialed in out to 30-40
>yards.
>
>400bull

You are right on 400bull. My advice was going to be, "Wait until next year."

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

The hunt starts in 2 weeks I'm going to buy a bow tomorrow. I'll shoot every day for a couple hours if I need to. Anyone else have suggestions about which bow would be best?

You need to shoot the bows before determining which is best for you. I expect they will all get the job done if you can. Get proficient at 20 yards, then move out to 25 and 30 yards. Commit yourself that you won't take a shot beyond the level of proficiency you have proven through your shooting. When taking up bow hunting after rifle hunting, you will find yourself frustrated with animals hanging up out there in easy rifle range and you may find some temptation to lob an arrow because it is only a little ways past what you've been practicing--or worse yet just because it is such a great animal and your willing to just chance it. Don't do it. Practice shooting standing, kneeling and sitting.

Rob, you can come practice with me on base either for lunch or I'll stay here till after work to help you. A couple hours a day will be good but we have to see how your gonna shoot first to determine whether thats really enough time or not but I think it can be done for sure. If you meet me out here today you can shoot mine and get started or we can go get you one for my lunch if thats better. Gimme a holler! Oh and tell everyone about your antelope!

Ryan

Like others said,..it takes practice,..but if your going to do it,..get yourself to a local bow shop,..shoot a few bows and find what feels best for you.The guy at the shop can measure you for your draw, and give you pointers.Also at most shops they carry some used bows,set up with everything you'll need.Some packages are nice,..go with a release, and a 70# draw bow,..plenty of speed for about anything.After you practice,set yourself a reasonable limit of shooting,..you owe it to the animals.Good luck!
Mike

Thanks for the help guys. I shot the bow tech assassin and the pse bow madness 3g. It was close but I pulled the trigger on the pse. The bow shop is getting everything setup and I plan on shooting until my arm falls of tomorrow. If I'm lucky enough to get close to an elk I'll take a shot I'm comfortable with and one that is ethical. I appreciate all who responded.

Rob

Be careful though there is such a thing a to much practice at one time and remember ALWAYS end your practice session on a good note.

Richard

+1

Fewer shots with good form will get you desired results. Shoot to fatigue and you will get sloppy and reinforce bad habits.

My antelope at bticked request. Thanks Ryan without your help this antelope would have never made it to my wall. Talk about a wing man not only will bticked hop on a fat girl for you he's one hell of a hunting partner!

3053img_3214.jpg

Forgot to thank everyone else for their help and advice. I shot everyday up to fatigue and when I got tired and my shots got sloppy I took a break or quit til the next day. I had my bow madness by pseud for around a week and I feel very confident with it out to sixty yards. Didn't practice any further. Learned a lot hanging out with archery shop folks, buddies, and you all in the forums. Definitely have a long way to go but I appreciate all the info and help. Happy hunting

Rob

Finally put the pic up guy! I pride myself in being a good wing man no matter the venture. Your doing very well with your bow and I know we'll have a great hunt!

Ryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom