Nephews CO buck

crazeymaez

Very Active Member
Took my nephew on his CO muley hunt.Set up camp on Tuesday,
And were able to head out for an evening hunt.We ran into a good buck but he saw us first and was gone.

Wendesday we went on a long hike.We saw a couple small bucks.
On our hike out we spooked this buck about noon.I looked thru my binos and saw it was a good buck.He stopped in some pine trees.I got Mikey set up.As he shot I saw the buck jump and run about 10 yrds.I kept telling Mikey "Hes gonna go down".5 minutes later he was still standing and had moved another 15yrds behind some oak brush.I told Mikey "We need to get closer and finish him off."

As we tried cutting the distance in half.I didn't see his does which were feeding about 30 yrds to his right.We spooked them and they took the buck with them.Now we were in a mad dash trying to get back on him.We chased him up and down canyons for a mile.Seems like every time we would see him he was cresting the next hill.You could tell he was hurt bad and I could tell he had gut shot him.But he was still covering a lot more ground than us.

As we neared the mile mark we saw him about to crest another hill
He was stopped in some oak brush.Mikey got set up and shot at him.He just took off walking again and went over the hill.

At this point I made the call to leave him and hope he would bed and die.The next morning we returned where we had last saw him.
and got on his trail.We were about a 1/4 mile when I saw a bunch of crows in a wash.I went down there and he was piled up.I was amazed how fast the crows had found him and were tearing him apart.I did not take any field pics cause he looked so bad
Cold,Stiff,gut shot and picked at.We were able to salvage most his meat except a hind quarter.

Cool old buck.

7215pb060034.jpg

4616pb060036.jpg

Camp pics

7648pb060039.jpg

936pb060037.jpg

9764pb070043.jpg

Headed home.
5269pb060041.jpg

Congrats to you and Mikey on another great buck!Thats his best buck right?Did you get a new jeep?Wheres the green one?

Awesome buck Miguel. Congrats to your nephew. You've killed some nice ones in CO.

Ray

Good job to both of you Miguel. Williams Creek Lake eh.....spent the better part of my teen years working up there....cool area. Cimarrona Peak is my favorite peak in the Juans. Have some great memories of packing into the peaks and playing mountain man. Jimbo

Well Done Miguel,

Another fine buck! Was this a landowner tag? Enjoyed your camp photos too. You must have another jeep. Wasn't the old one Black? Once I get finished chaseing Louisiana whitetails I will give you a buzz. Again congradulations to you both putting it all together and harvesting this buck. It could have been gone down much different if you hadn't persevered. Also, congrats to the wife on a fine elk! Stay in touch Brother Man!

LaGriz55

Loco Maez, way to go for

you and Mikey? You always get it done awesome muley. How did your hunts go in NM 52?
and assume this buck taken in 77-78-771
ALSO, WERE YOU AVLE TO BUy THE Co. Mule deer voucher from that same person as last year where you took that great buck.? If so, how did it go this year?

Always look forward to your hunt posts.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-14 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Great ol mulie buck! How much is it to put in for Colorado for a non- residents if you don't mind me asking?

Very cool story and a nice buck, good looking rig and camp setup.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom