nephews oryx

crazeymaez

Very Active Member
My nephew was able to get an Oryx on Saturday.Not to many with double horns.On Friday we spotted a herd with a couple good ones
but they were very spookey and never could get on them.Friday evening we spotted a group of 25 with only 2 double horns.Mikey and I stalked them a mile out.We got 300yrds from them and I got him set up.But he forgot to take the safety off and missed his chance.Looking back I am glad he didn't shoot. I don't think I could have gutted it and got back to the gate.

Saturday morning we spotted a group of 10 and this was the only double horn.We made a stalk I got Mikey set up and he shot at 300.I heard the smack of the bullet hitting and watched them all run off,This one peeled off and bedded.We let it sit for a few minutes.I could see the horns still moving.We started our approach and got 200 yrds and it jumped up.Took off running and dropped again.Mikey was able to put another round in her.As we walked up we were now 50yrds and she is still trying to get up. Another round and it was done.The toughness and the will to live on these animals is amazing.Found all 3 bullets on the hide.All 3 through the shoulder.

6007dscn0006.jpg

3924dscn0014.jpg

8333img_9701.jpg

Much congrats to your nephew, Miguel. That's a beautiful oryx.

Would have been fun to hook up with you--I was out there helping someone too. My coworker ended up shooting a very large, but also a double broke cow on Saturday. Being basically a meat hunter he was very happy with it. We spotted it alone out at about a mile and then used radios to help him stalk within range. He dropped it off at the butcher and field dressed it still weighed in at just under 200 lbs--even missing the head, hide, and legs below the knees.

Congrats.

And I can attest to your third to last sentence, as it has also been my experience that some of these animals possess an incredible will to survive.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom