Nevada Application issue!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
I thought I would share with you what happened when I applied recently for Nevada tags.

Of course I waited till the last minute as I was debating whether to put in for tags or just bonus points.

Decided what the heck, the odds of drawing are small, so might as well apply for tags.

Anyway, got kicked off their system THREE times before the deadline.

So I decided to apply for bonus points only (which was allowed) and bought some of those Dream Tag chances for deer and sheep.

Anyway I wrote a scathing report on their survey at the end of the process.

Then a friend of mine from Nevada (Kensen Lee) who told me that a number of folks had the same issue; and that NDOW was looking into it.

Lo and behold I call the Nevada Hunt Office at 800-576-1020 and speak to a lady about my problem.

She says, "Yes, there was problems and that she will call me back when a decision was made on what to do."

Well today she calls back and says she has the authorization from NDOW to pull my bonus point only applications, and apply me for the species I had originally apply for. (Deer, CA bighorn and Desert bighorn.)
(Don't apply for elk as I got an Arizona bull that scores 378 3/8 on the wall and didn't think I could do any better in Nevada)

Anyway,I will get credit on my credit card for the bonus point only applications and I am in the draw for the three species I wanted!

Thought that was a fair way to handle that.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

1266don_martin_unit_6a_muzzleloader_2012.jpg

Here is why I don't apply for elk in Nevada. Not sure I could do much better that this 378 3/8 bull I got in Unit 6A on a muzzleloader hunt!

LAST EDITED ON May-03-14 AT 03:43AM (MST)[p]Im not sure that "you" personally could do any better in Nevada but there are plenty of us that have. The 380 mark is broken often in the eastern part of the state. If you are happy with a 378 3/8 bull from AZ thats great but with a good tag and a bit of work you could possibly " do better " in NV. I have killed a few good bucks a guided a few more in NV' but I put in faithfully every year in AZ hoping I can draw and " do better ". You will never know if you dont go.

Those big bulls all look the same to me, including my 380 bull.
Muley bucks are all different IMO.

I had the same issue. I got kicked off when trying to apply for tags. (I haven't applied for about 5 years since I finally used all my bonus points.)

I took it as a sign to not get involved with Nevada this year:) I'm OK with it.

Eel

I don't know that always "doing better" is a goal that's healthy or even reasonable. Even if I had a trophy I couldn't better I still love to hunt and every animal and every hunt is different for me.

But to each his own.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

LAST EDITED ON May-04-14 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]take it for what it's worth but my opinion is anyone who mentions twice in the same post the score of his animal down to the 1/8 of inch is only worried about 1 thing. Hence "do better".

It is a very nice bull, there are bigger and there are smaller, if you're happy then good for you!

So with that said, I don't think you could "do better" in NV, I think you should just stick to AZ.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-14 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]Well spoken nvhunter. I think doing better is both healthy and reasonable. I love to hunt as much as some, and more than most, but I see no point in being the guy that wacks just because he put in good effort and its getting down to the wire. It cost alot of money and time away from family to hunt the top end of what is available in a given unit. I would rather walk and leave it all on the mountain than kill something other than the biggest animals I've found preseason. I love clients that can let a 180 buck walk on the 5th day of a 7 day hunt beacause they have seen the video and trail cam pics and want to " do better ". It meens different things to different people but I find the sacrafice to high not to shoot for the best. That said I am always happy for people who are happy with the animals they have harvested, but have respect for they guy that comes back 10 lbs lighter with his tag still in his pocket knowing he left it all on the mountain with no regrets.

this happens every year to ppl that wait til the last minute and has been well documented every year on here. ndow system gets overloaded with the amount of "last minute" guys. moral of the story, apply earlier with no issues.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom