Nevada Billy

falloutwest

I have wanted to post some pictures of my September Nevada goat hunt for a while and am finally getting around to it. I feel very fortunate to have drawn one of these rare tags. We packed into the East Humbolt Range days after a large early-season snow storm. We saw 11 billies the first day and it didn't take long to realize that these truely are the most difficult animal to field judge in North America. I ended up choosing the largest out of a group of five billies on the very top of the mountain. He was a 7 year old billy with 9 inch horns. Couldn't have been happier!

5905dsc02216.jpg

6998dsc02222.jpg

7838dsc02224.jpg

615dsc02232.jpg

8067dsc02236.jpg

6295dsc02239.jpg

Falloutwest,
I've never shot one myself but have been involved in several hunts for them with others here in Utah and your right, they are a tough one to judge but one of the best hunts you can be part of. You got a great billy and a bunch of good memories. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations!

Excellent billy.

You're right. They are really tough to judge, especially when they're alone. You did well though and took a good mtn goat.

I also really enjoyed you photos. They're great!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Zeke

Great goat and some beautiful photos of the country you were in. I've only been through Nevada on the Interstate once and it's hard to picture what the state really has to offer as far as neat country until I start seeing photos like this. Thanks for posting!!!

Very nice billy!

I would love to hunt a goat, but this @%$## sheep fever is taking all of my time and money.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics.

Zeke, you should post a pic of your furry goat-ball! They are beautiful animals.

Outstanding - any more details? How far was the shot, what kind of rifle did you use?

Getting a full body mount?

Fallout,

Congrats on a good billy, especially since you got it done despite some questionable help and companions on the hunt.

DoeNob, I shot him at about 180 yards with 140 grain Accubonds out of my 270 Winchester model 70 Featherweight. It took three shots to put him down for good but he only went about 15 yards from the first shot to the last. They are tough animals! I am getting a full body wall mount. Full body is about the only way to go with a goat IMO, although some of the half and three quarter mounts are starting to get pretty good.

fullcurl, you get by with what you have ;)

Congrats on a great billy! I heard you had a real toolbag helping you out on the hunt though...

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom