Nevada Bonus Points.. or Not?

inarcher

Good day.

Been considering a future mule deer archery hunt in Nevada.
My research on particular areas to this point are nil. About all I've done so far is browse the NDOW website.

The bonus point situation seems quite pricey at $142 per year just for a general hunting license. Looking at the draw stats, there are units with respectable odds with "zero" bonus points. Makes me curious if any of these units are worth applying for?

I'm in pretty good shape for my age. Not afraid to put the leather to the dirt. Not afraid to walk away from the crowds and camp there for several days. Would be interested in animals in the 160-170 range (or bigger of course!).

What do you guys think? Is a zero point unit worth the effort? Or, do I really need to consider playing the bonus point game in the upcoming draw?

Thanks,
Paul

Simple. apply for bonus points! It will help in the long run. It is getting tougher and tougher to draw with no points, even for archery.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-09 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]Those odds are very misleading since they only account for applicant's first choices. So many of the successful applicants did not list the unit they drew as their first choice. Only way to really get an idea of your odds would be to add up all the successful applicants with 0 points and devide that number by the unsuccessful + successful. Just looking at the data quickly, it looks like about a 30% chance of drawing NR archery with 0 points. 30% may be optimistic as a lot of the successful applicants may have listed rifle or muzzleloader codes as their first choice. Hope that makes sense, probabbly clear as mud. I'd buy the points if you want to hunt NV in the next 5 years.

Stand back and throw a dart at a map of Nevada, anywhere it hits you could find a great buck! Archery will get you a bunch more tags in Nevada over a lifetime.With 1 point you are better off and with 2 your probably going huntin. Build the points! BH1

But with 10 points like I have, you buy another bonus point, and your odds go up maybe 2 or 3% a year. It becomes a joke.

I may just apply with my 2 points and not buy any more points? Your odds go way up with a couple of points?????

Not sure what to do either......

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom