Nevada Bucks

buckhorn

Very Active Member
Here’s a buck I saw after the 2023 hunts were over. He looks like he may be a good one to look for in 2024. Anyone else see anything worth getting excited about?

This One

IMG_1693.png

IMG_1694.png

Very nice looking Buck, one more year could really make a difference. I’d be very curious to see what he looks like this fall.

He’s a good one! I saw some solid bucks this year in NV, a few up and comers and a few has-beens. One thing is for sure…. My brain has been all mule deer for the past week. Another season is just around the corner and I hope I can pull off another NV tag this year. ——-SS

He’s a good one! I saw some solid bucks this year in NV, a few up and comers and a few has-beens. One thing is for sure…. My brain has been all mule deer for the past week. Another season is just around the corner and I hope I can pull off another NV tag this year. ——-SS
If you get a tag this year, I know you will find something good. You always do!

If you’re happy with a chance at a buck like him, any unit will work. Throw a dart at the map and apply!——-SS
I saw a picture of a buck killed from the state wide tag holder from 2023. It was a standard 24" wide 150" class buck. Apparently after 60+ days in the field and over 8k miles driven around the state. He finally gave up and killed that buck on the second to last day. He never saw a buck over 170" the whole time.

I saw a picture of a buck killed from the state wide tag holder from 2023. It was a standard 24" wide 150" class buck. Apparently after 60+ days in the field and over 8k miles driven around the state. He finally gave up and killed that buck on the second to last day. He never saw a buck over 170" the whole time.
I've heard of similar scenarios a few times from Silver State tag holders. Nevada is a state that has several large units with less than 50 total tags for a reason......deer densities are very low in some areas and even finding a deer can be challenging if you're not in the right spot or aren't familiar with hunting desert country mule deer. There was a guy on this forum last year that had a muzzy tag in a unit close to me and I don't think he ever saw a deer during his entire hunt. In my opinion, any 4 point that gets close to 170" is top end for the units I am familiar with. Even the late hunts that people wait decades for are difficult to find a true monster in. I had a great late season tag a few years ago, hunted dawn to dusk for 9 days, and never saw a buck over 180". I saw 2 bucks that would legitimately break 170".

All that being said, Nevada is my favorite place to hunt mule deer for reasons other than inches of antler. I've never killed a monster buck here but I've never filled a tag with a buck that was not fully mature and either at or past their prime. -----SS

Yep true story!
He didn’t last long enough to get over and hunt the late seasons in western Nevada.
Probably would’ve been too rough on him!
Especially after all he had already been through.

I spent 20+ days in 221-223 this year and never saw a buck over 150. I know that unit cluster has been hurting but it looked like it was REALLY hurting from what I saw.

I have only been lucky enough to draw Pronghorn in northern NV. Loved that hunt, so quiet and almost no vehicles once away from the main roads to mines. The wide open spaces and ability get away from people out there is what makes NV special. Going to expand my choices this year a little for deer going in with 15pts.

We’ve had good moisture the last couple of years, so the drought seems to have been broken for now.
Combine that with reduced tag numbers and the quality of Bucks should be improving over the next few years.

I spent quite a bit of time in 2 units last year and the feed was way ahead of the deer in both. I couldn't believe how many basins full of awesome feed that didn't have a deer or any sign in sight. Hopefully Buckhorn's prediction is correct and the deer do some breeding, surviving, and growing to take advantage of the awesome habitat right now.

Also hope BLM keepd rounding up the horses and burros. Get 'em out of here and no big deal if there's a bit of collateral damage along the way. -------SS

Sounds like he drove too much and didn’t walk enough

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom