Nevada Dilema

Rizzy

I'm wondering if the middle rifle tag in the rubies is worth burning the 2 non res points on. If I turn in the tag it sounds like I will have to eat the cost of the tag but will still get a point for this year. I hiked in about 5+ miles to scout and it looks like it will take more like 8+ miles to get into good area, especially with the middle rifle tag.

Would I be better off continuing to save points for a better hunt?

In terms of genetics, how would you rate areas 5,7, and 10?

Imo I would hike in the extra 3 miles and do some hunting. I realize its easier said than done but you did well by drawing with only 2 points as a non resident and you have a chance at killing a good buck in the back country.

My Dad and I hunted the Rubies on horse back for many years and seen some great bucks. Have you looked into renting horses or being packed in? Good luck!

I looked into a drop camp, however none of the outfitters do drop camps for rifle season. I don't have the funds to go fully guided right now. I've rode a horse 2 times....I don't think I'm a candidate for renting.
Thanks for the inspiration on drawing the tag, I was under the impression the middle rifle tag was easier to draw due to the dates

you don't need to hunt 5 miles back in on the second season, many of the high country bucks have already been pressured. The rubys are a narrow steep range, and private land inhibits access in a lot of places. Use your imagination,get off the trail, not all the deer are on top. If you want a record book buck forget the rubys,lots of nice deer, but the genetics just aren't there. I don't know much about area 5 but a quick look in the Nevada record book shows its not very high up as a producer, area 7 is huge and the deer numbers aren't what they once were, but the potential for big antlers is better there.

It is a narrow steep range of mountains, I bet the deer can migrate out of it in about 3 hours or less. I liked the look of the mid elevations with the quakie patches when I scouted, the alpine bowls seemed to dry.

I have hunted 10 a lot. I have also looked at a lot of those middle elevation quakie patches and not seen deer, and watched people drive right by. Then I have walked right into them, and spooked out deer. There deer are there in 10. It just takes a lot of leg work (not necessarily 5-8 miles off a trail head), and huning in spots that you would not think would normally hold deer. I have never hiked more than 2 miles away from a road in the Rubies, and I have seen some exceptional deer in there. I wouldn't turn the tag in, just find where everyone is hunting, and hunt the little holes that they are missing. You will find deer.

And we are expecting some good weather this next week or so that should get the deer moving around good as well.

Later,

Marcial

I walked by a mature stand of quakies a few times while looking for a place to camp. The stand of quakies was about 350 yards across the canyon and I glassed it the best I could after I set up camp and didn't see anything. Then about the last five minutes of light 6 cow elk walk out of it and start grazing and talking. Its amazing how the animals hide and feel safe in those patches, there's no way those elk couldn't have seen me 2 hours before that.

Its snowing in eureka and not stopping i would be willing to bet its snowing there too.might not be a bad year to hunt that tag

I wouldnt send it back

You can draw any tag any year in Nevada you could draw again next year or not for ten you never know

Back in 2005 there was 4 of us that drew Area 10 deer in the early season and it was our 5th choice that year.
I spoke with a GW one day in Elko and he said that as a NR and making the Area 10 a 5th choice could get you a tag almost each time as they give out lots of tags for early (1st) season and most hunters want the late season....go figure.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I would keep the tag. I have seen good buck close to road access quite a bit when I ued to live there. Just need to look around and hunt the pockets

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom