Nevada or Arizona

MuddyBoots

Alright, I'm trying to decide on what state to add to my list of applications. I missed the Arizona elk and pronghorn this year but Nevada is now coming up. Money is an issue and probably couldn't swing both. So if you guys had to choose, which one would you choose and why? Also, I would be shooting for sheep, pronghorn, deer, and elk if I have to drop the cash on a non-refundable license.

Do BOTH!. I didn't think I could afford both. I put in for AZ for 4 years and then decided to add NV this year as well. Consider less than $200 to apply and compare that to what your total hunting/outdoor related expenses are in a year and it really isn't much money. I say do both now instead of waiting until later and then starting. flyingbrass
cold dead hands

Nevada would be my choice. You can apply for three species of sheep, as well as mountain goat. Draw odds for antelope are substantially better. Nevada's bonus point system is one of the best in the west.

Nevada also has an actual Non-resident quota. In Arizona this is not the case.

Best of luck to you in your decision!

To me, it would, depend on what you want to hunt. If you want to hunt elk I would go with AZ. If you are looking for multiple animals I would go with Nevada.

It takes around 300.00 a year to get points for both and most likely it will take years and years to draw any of the premium units.Nevada if you can only choose one State that would be my choice anyway much better point system.

If deer is your #1 priority and you are just starting out, NV.

If elk is #1, AZ offers more opportunity.

NV offers more species, but also is more costly as you have to apply for more..... Odds are not good on any. Desert sheep are the #1 extra in both, guess that would be a push....

Az. for Elk but over the years you will get more quality deer tags in Nv. but Az. has the very best quality in every species. In summary Nv. for opportunity Az. for top quality.

I did both. NV is $262.50 to apply for all species. Since you must front the tag fee in AZ, NV is very little money in comparison. You will be lucky to draw one or two tags every three or four years and that's only if you really do your homework and apply for the easier draws. My tag fees of $2,700 for AZ become my hunting budget when the refunds come back. Except now that I'm an AZ resident I only have to front $521 so now my NM tag fees are the hunting budget!

Mr Muddy, if money is an issue like it is around here I would choose Nv. You will probably never draw antelope in Az,but in Nv you can. Elk will take you a lifetime the way Az breaks off non-resi's. And forget about sheep in Az without max points. Nevada is much more friendly to non-resi's than Az with its maybe up to 10% rule. You will draw sooner and the quality of animals is about the same in Nevada. Good luck! BH1

Hey thanks for all the input guys. It looks like I'll be trying for Nevada. With not having to front the fees, a better system, and getting in on the points this year, it seems like the better choice. Hopefully I got my proof of hunter ed in soon enough!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom