Nevada rocky mt tag!!!!!!!!

J

jds

can't believe it but looks like i drew the nr rocky mt sheep tag in unit 101!

jds

You might as well go early and do some gambling, cause you are definately lucky! Congrats. Hope you shoot a monster.

Your one lucky guy. If you've never hunted the Rubies, it's a beautiful place. I bowhunted up in that area the last couple years and we saw sheep, goats, elk, and mulies. I wish I was in your shoes. Good luck. Kill a monster - there should be a few up there.

David Dukat
www.huntingvideosonline.com

Even with max points, thats at least a 1,000-1 draw. Congratulations!!!
Saw several great sheep around the first of Oct 2 years ago but they were in 102. Good Luck!!!

You are walking on air!!

Congrats for sure....

I've got some intel for ya if your going DIY... let me get my 'stuff' out and if your interested touchbase with me.

Robb

still humbled by the whole experience and the hunt hasn't even started yet. booked with mike morrison starting the 1st day of september. if we can't find what i'm looking for i will go back on my own during the 1st part of october. now if i just don't have to eat an elk tag for early archery in new mexico.

thanks for the support
jds

Elk tag soup tastes real sweet with a beautiful Rocky hanging on your wall. Congrats. Is this your first sheep hunt?

i agree. may never draw a tag this good again. this is my first sheep hunt but it is not because i haven't been applying.

jds

I know NM is a long shot for all of us but if you draw, I'd do both. You have a 61 day season and 2 weeks shouldn't make much difference. I'd leave the sheep til after elk so I wasn't rushed on it. Thats my 2 cents worth but I don't have sheep fever, YET!

I'd be on that sheep the first day I could. You never know when health or other issues might come up and ruin your hunt. There is nothing like the feeling of drawing a sheep tag!

sheep hunt is scheduled for the first 5 days of the season...september 1st-5th. if i can't find what i'm looking for i will go back in october on my own. this will give me about 4-5 days to make it to nm and hunt elk (all choices where 1st archery season). this is assuming i draw the elk tag but the odds should be fairly decent with the new split in archery seasons.

jds

Congrats on the tag, If you need any info I can help, and may be able to help with getting you through the PP on the Starr valley side.

NVMDF

Here's Jason's ram. Maybe he will share his story.

475472b64288e03e.jpg

Beautiful ram!! Thanks for sharing. The body size on those East Humboldt rams is just amazing.

Ya done dang good young fella!!

That is a dandy Ram and to just be the 1 non-res. to draw the 1 tag is also a shock wave! ha
Me next year!

congrats

Robb

Were to begin... It is truly a humbling feeling knowing you are the only non-resident to hunt such an amazing animal. These guys live in some of the most rugged and steep country I have ever seen. The East Humboldts are no exception.

I made the 25 hour trip a few days before the opener. Arriving in Wells I went directly to the east side of the range to glass by myself finding only one ram (my first in the wild) after a few hours of hiking and glassing. I spent a little more time glassing alone before meeting up with the outfitter and guide. He and I spent another day of scouting... mules to the base of the range (on the west side now) and then a foot for the rest of the day. We found some smaller rams but nothing near what this unit has to offer.

First morning of the hunt started a little after daylight, which was a surprise at first but with the terrain ahead I fully became aware that walking in the dark on such rocky slopes (cliffs) was not a wise thing to do. Nevertheless we pressed on finding only a few younger rams and ewes. We covered a total of four basins that day, which after looking at google earth suggested about 3-4 miles. Quite a bit of hiking in that kind of country!

Second morning, which was also my 7 year wedding aniversary started like the first only this time we went the same direction as the other guys in camp. Dennis(hunter), John and Dennis' son (sorry I can't recall his name) all headed towards our fist glassing point. The morning bet was first guy to spot rams wins a $1. After a few minutes I finally spotted our first three rams of the day. Two were feeding and one was laying on a rock. We thought the bedded ram was in the 180 class with good bases and a slight flare to his horns. I would estimate these rams at about 800 yards from were we first saw them.

At 7:30 the stalk began with the guide and myself heading out alone. The other guys went on down the range to find a sheep for Dennis. Three hours and several hurting leg muscles later we were finally within range of where the sheep had been bedded. Only now they had fed out along the ridge... but not far. One was bedded with the other standing up to feed. Little did we know the bigger ram (the one we were after had fed out of sight during the stalk). Looking back maybe we should have studied my ram a little harder. Nevertheless from less than 100 yards my ram was down with one shot and about a 15 yard run. Had it been 20 yards it would have been down the cliff another 150 feet. Truly an amazing sight to be standing over your first rocky mountain big horn sheep while viewing some of Gods most beautiful country.

The two of us caped, boned and packed the whole sheep out in one trip back to the mules. Then back at camp where we met up with the other guys to start the celebratory handshakes.

Although I only spent a few days with Dennis, John and Dennis's son I would like to thank them for being such great sportsmen and to congratulate Dennis for such a great sheep, which he shot only a few weeks later. I hope we can share camp again some day!

Jason

i think that is right. you can see a pic of it in the more trophy animal photos section under "monster nevada ram"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom