Nevada sheep tag?

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Didn't someone on this site draw a Calif tag in Nevada this year? Maybe 033? I searched but found nothing. Just wondering how those hunts went. Or have any of you with Nevada desert tags been scouting? I have all this enthusiasm and no one to go sheep hunting with this year. Gotta do something to feed the need. I have no hunts at all until November. Honker? dwalton? Anyone?

I drew 205 for desert. I have been down 3 times scouting. In July it was so darn hot I mainly just learned the roads. On the last trip I saw quite a few rams in the 130 class. Had one work its way from 3/4 of a mile away down the same ridge I was spotting from. He beat up quite a few junipers and got within 30 yards before winding me. I'm planning on going back for a couple of days at the end of Oct. and then arriving 2 days before the opener to try and locate a nice ram or two.

kW,

Haven't heard from her but Wes on this forum said she got a 170 ram. Happy for her.

Jerry,

Area 205? I have spent a few days in 205 (lot's of days). In fact I saw a decent ram in there last Saturday. My wife had a tag there two years ago. I spent close to 30 days in the unit that year and 10 or so last year. My family has deer tags there this year. If I can help let me know. Where are you from? What part of the unit have you been looking in?

NVbighorn,

A friend of mine had a 033 tag. I went for the first four days, and saw 46 sheep (didn't see him shoot his ram). That Sheldon country is amazing! To make a long story short, he had a good one spotted 165+. On his stalk he made a mistake and shot the wrong ram. His ram scored 145....slightly disappointing, to say the least. With the number of young rams I saw, 033 will be dynamite in three to five years.

As for my 286 Desert tag, I went down in August. Too hot to do much except drive the roads. I attended the Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn's banquet (they're a great bunch of people). I met several contacts, and received lots of good information.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I'm getting pretty damn excited to make some serious scouting trips! Except for three days of work, I'm off the entire season, so hopefully I'll be able to find a good ram for the area. I'm starting to lose sleep, just thinking about the hunt. Sheep fever! Isn't it great?!!

NVBIGHORN,
Was that the ram that was shot in Seitz canyon, was her tag in
the Ruby's or the East Humbolts?

NVMDF

NVMDF
I heard she shot it around Lee peak. There has only been one sheep shot so far this year in the Rubies. My partner is up scouting right now for the two big rams we always see during deer season but haven't been able to locate yet. They should go in the 180's.
Wes

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-03 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]dwalton,

I thought there was someone associated with you who had a 033 tag. Too bad the guy got mixed up and shot the smaller ram. It can happen, especially if you are alone. Was he? That's a tough deal keeping track and staying cool headed.

Yes the Fraternity is a great group. Lots of knowledge there. There are some guys in there that know your area very well.

I'll bet you are getting excited. There is nothing like sheep fever. Enjoy this year and make the most of it. It doesn't happen often. It's your 15 minutes of fame, buddy.

Keep us posted, please.

signed
Sheepless in Nevada (at least for this year) :)

Wes,
I guess I'm geting mixed info, I heard that it was shot in the
head of Seitz, (the south side of Lammoille Canyon). I did some
scouting for the Muzz. Hunt down around Segunda canyon near the
head of long canyon in August, and saw a bunch of ewes and lambs and three rams, not big, 4 or 5 year olds. I also saw some rams in a canyon that branches off of Talbot canyon, but I'm sure
that Mitch and Todd already know about them, well maybe not,
I talked to Tony Buzzetti last week and they have been hunting
Californias in the Santa Rosa's. I also found a big Billy if
you know anyone interested.

NVMDF

NVMDF
I don't have any first hand info but the hunter we're guideing talked to the other hunters husband and was told they shot their ram around Lee peak. My buddy had our hunter up over the weekend and found the big rams we're after but it was too rough to get the hunter up to them, he's 75 and in good shape but they were in country that was too much for him. We'll keep an eye on them and when they move to more accessable country we'll bring him back up. We've also seen some great goats this year but we don't have any goat hunters.
Wes

Yes, I am the guy who shot the wrong ram (stupid). As Dwalton stated the Sheldon is great country. I spent over ten days scouting throughtout the Sheldon. We saw over 122 sheep during the scouting trips. Some maybe the same sheep (?). During the five days we hunted, fifty-eight sheep were spotted.

We found the big ram the first of August with 13 other rams. It was just great spotting that many rams together on a common hill side. We named this big ram "to hit" in Spanish because he butting a rock at the time we found him. We believe we had found him twice more before the season opener. But the distance was great and the heat waves did not help. We never closed the distance because we did want to push him out of country.

On the fifth day of hunt, we found "to hit" early in the morning. It took us almost 10 to 11 hours to work our way into the area we last saw him. We got pinned down twice by smaller rams. We had to wait for them to leave our site picture.

By the time we got into the area where we last saw the "to hit" ram, it was getting late and I decided to start working the rim rocks by myself. I just knew he was in there somewhere since the area was small and the shooting distances would be under 150 yards. A ram stood up at eight-five yards and I shot him. As the ram fell over backwards, I saw I had shot the wrong ram. After the shot, I just sat on a rock in shock. My hunting partner came running over the hill to see the "to hit" ram and he was pissed that I shot a smaller ram as was I. I must say it was not a good feeling between us.

To this day, I do not know why I allowed myself to pushed the situation since we had the time to back off and wait him out. Nevetheless, my ram is 5.5 years with 14 6/8 inch bases. The Nevada score is 145 BC. He looks just I like my desert minus 23 inches. All I need now is a Stone.

The genetics in the area are very good. We believe that the "to hit" ram is an honest 165+ ram. I just hope someone kills him before he dies of old age. He truly is a great ram.

Anybody have any info on the PIW CA ram or the gov tag desert. Seen some pictures (great CA and amazing desert)and am trying to follow up. Gov tag CA shot another good one in the Sahwaves. Heard 051 was a bit## to find anything over mid 150's. Too many rumors this time year. Wes, thought I heard a new nv record rocky was shot out there?!?
Juices are flowin - don't have any tags but can't sleep already. Off to Ely to help a buddy out on his deer tag.
Later Guys - Jason

Honker, I haven't heard about the desert or PIW California. Got details? Where did they get the desert?

All I've seen are pics - I should see the Desert tagholder in a couple of weeks, so I should have firsthand info later on. Tough to tell from the pics but it's a pig!! (I'm gonna guess high 180's maybe into the 190's on the desert and 168/169 on the CA).

High 180's or 190? Honker, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat here! You don't know where it was killed? Email me if you have details you don't want to post.

I suck - been lookin at CA's too much lately.
Talked to the tagholder Friday PM, long story short, I way over estimated the mass. Still a great ram but lose about 15" ... sorry to get ya worked up. Wonderful example of how to take a pic and really make a ram look good. Will email you when I've get back from deer huntin. Jason

Ahhh, not to worry. I am still sweating. Still want to hear the story. Went into some sheep country yesterday and could smell them I swear, but saw none. Email me when you have time. I will be travelling on business for a few days anyway.

Thats a huugggee Des. Ram Honker!! Unreal! What a great Calf. Ram too!!!
Jason-wish ya could have pulled off that offer to come over and NE Region mzzldr buck here in Utah and enjoyed the Ram hunts (Rocky) One good Ram taken and the other tag holder wants to go back in during the 'Rut' at the end of his hunt dates. A 408 plus non-typ. bull elk came off BARETOP on the opener of the rifle draw hunt. Unreal...maybe next year you could slide over for a couple days? Bring Nvbghrn with ya?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom