nevada unfair?

nobuckluck

just found out that i lost my 9 points for deer by not applying for two years seems to me that if you have to buy a license and pay to just apply they should last longer than that. what do you think?

No this I would say fair. Yeah it sucks for you but it is how they do it and I guess they don't want you holding all those points forever. I guess I really don't worry about it since I live here and put in for everything every year that I can put in for.

sounds like you didn't pay attention to the regulations...iv'e lost points that way, but i also knew i was going to lose those points by not applying and that was my choice.

Fair? that's the way the regulations read so i'm ok with it. If you have been applying for 9 years you should of been aware of it...sorry

Can't blame anyone but yourself those are the rules and I am a NR and knew this part of Regs.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12 AT 06:08AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12 AT 06:07?AM (MST)

I myself don't like it either. But the laws are the laws. I would like to see us go to a deal like Arizona has with the loyaty point with not loosing out bonus points for not applying in consectutive years. We paid the money and those points should always be ours. The out of state tag fees are enough to compensate them for the loose of our points. But......! My 2 cents.

mickeyelk has made some valid points. If you pay for the points you should be able to keep them. fatrooster.

I understand that it's on me for not knowing the regs. it just seems to me that two years is kind of a short amount of time.as a non res. its a fair amount of money to just lose .i guess i'll read the regs. better from now on

IMO Nevada has the very best draw system for NRs. You are always dangerous, but building PPs greatly improves your odds. And the "don't apply for 2 consecutive years, loose your PPs" has been around since they instituted the Preference Points in 1990.

The other thing I love about Nevada, they haven't made changes to their process mid-stream like some other states. Really the only thing that changes year to year in Nevada is the tag quota, which you don't know until after the application deadline.

I feel for you but the rules are the rules none the less. ''

No matter how you slice it I do not think you will find a system anywhere that is more fair than Nevada. You have a chance to draw every year and not only a chance at 1 hunt but a chance at 5 choices!

You want a poor system Californias really sucks the youth here are really screwed they will never be able to catch up on points to hunt some of the good hunts

I was stung like that once didn't lose points......just didn't receive my bonus point that year....made me get up to speed with the regs right quickly

Mark

It isn't cool that you "lost" your points but it is what it is I guess and rules are rules you can either start over or give up it's your call. I will also mention that dor people that play the games of missing a year for whatever reasons, saving money, not having time to hunt, or forgetting to apply. Keep your eye on your points the system has, will, and does have glitches! I have heard of several people missing one year applying and loosing their points.

>IMO Nevada has the very best
>draw system for NRs.
>You are always dangerous, but
>building PPs greatly improves your
>odds. And the "don't
>apply for 2 consecutive years,
>loose your PPs" has been
>around since they instituted the
>Preference Points in 1990.
>
Actually, Nevada has a bonus point system. Big difference.

I have 12 NR deer points. And I'm going to start buying a point every other year. I've got $1850 invested into points(without a tag), I don't want to loose them, but I don't want to give them anymore than I have too. I've spend some time figuring, for one more point only increases your odds about 1% to 2% percent a year. Not worth the cost of the licence.

>I have 12 NR deer points.
> And I'm going to
>start buying a point every
>other year. I've got
>$1850 invested into points(without a
>tag), I don't want to
>loose them, but I don't
>want to give them anymore
>than I have too.
>I've spend some time figuring,
>for one more point only
>increases your odds about 1%
>to 2% percent a year.
> Not worth the cost
>of the licence.

So you are not trying to draw?

If you are trying to draw then apply every year but request your refund for license every other year

I lost 3 points for bull elk a few years back this way. Go figure I would draw the tag with no bonus points a couple years later

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-12 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]yoteslayer...that is what this whole thing is about. YES

Brian

Brian,
I think you are wrong. You just have to apply in the drawing to maintain your points. You don't have to buy the license. I have not bought a point for 5 years but I still maintain my points because I apply.

I stand corrected, yes all you need to do is buy the license for $140+ and you don't loose your points.

Brian

Nitis,

I put in to draw every year for a tag and have bought the licence giving me a point each year. What I meant was now that I have 12 points, I'm going to put in every year, but I'm going to buy a licence(point) every other year so I don't loose what I have.

>Nitis,
>
> I put in to
>draw every year for a
>tag and have bought the
>licence giving me a point
>each year. What I
>meant was now that I
>have 12 points, I'm going
>to put in every year,
>but I'm going to buy
>a licence(point) every other year
>so I don't loose what
>I have.

Makes sense

Not sure what you are applying for but after 12 years I bet it is either really frustrating or there is one hunt you want really bad

>I just wish i would have
>payed more attention to the
>regs. idon't think i have
>enough years left to start
>over

But thats the great thing about Nevada you can draw with no points!

sounds like you had other things on your mind that you need to get rid of its ok if you start putting in i will go with you and push you in a wheel chair and help you on your hunt

The NV points system seems to give you a pretty good chance at drawing a deer tag every few years if you put down some somewhat easy to draw hunts (most all NV deer hunts are pretty good compared to surrounding states) on your application. I'm not sure how much the system helps as opposed to no points system for the "dream" hunts as most everyone gets one more point each year, but if you are not accumulating, your slim odds on those hunts gets much slimmer when the pack is squaring one more point each year...

Nitis

I've been unlucky when it comes to Nevada. When I had 10 points I put 5 muzzleloader units down, and packed my bags thinking for sure I'd draw. Nope. Last year for my 5th choice I put in for 131 muzzleloader thinking it would be a sure thing. Nope. Who knows this year. I want to get out of the game, but at this point $1800 invested. I don't want just any tag.

excaliber, "Bonus Points"

I'm not sure the question was answered clearly.

You have to buy the license every other year or you lose your points.

So if you don't want to buy the license every year, you can get a refund on it every other year and still build points, slowly though.

Since i apply for everything except goat, and I hunt chukar 10-30 times a year, the license isn't a big deal. In fact, years ago, I would buy the license to hunt chukar and not apply for big game. Back when they wanted the money up front.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom