Nevada vs California

S

sertshark

I am not sure if this is getting in the right forum, because this is my first message here. I hope it gets to the right spot.

I am in Northern Calirornia, and have been thinking about moving the family to Nevada in the next few years. I get out there and deer hunt, but because I have small children I just like to get out there and I am happy to enjoy the outdoors. Obviously in California, it has been tough.

I am not looking for secret honey holes or anything like that, but I wonder how Nevada will compare to Northern Cal. I can see Nevada manages things closer by not giving out a bazillion tags. Unlike D-6 here. But it also looks like hunters in Nevada don't necessarilly draw every year. Is that right? At least here, I know I can draw a tag every year if I wanted to get out.

So could anyone with experience give me a quick rundown on what the differences may be between Nevada and California? Public land, drawing a tag, finding deer (not looking for trophies, just something bigger than a forkie).

I appeciate it greatly. Thank you.

87% of the state is public land. You can conceivably shoot a trophy buck on any unit. However, if you hunt with a rifle it might take you 5 yrs or more to draw that tag. With a bow it is possible to draw every yr or every other.

Can sometimes be difficult to draw a tag, but that depends on which areas you put in for. If you put in for the areas with the low numbers of course your only going to draw only every few years. Go with the higher numbers like 5, 6, 7, etc etc and your likely to draw possibly every year.
Almost all public land!!! You can find good deer and decent numbers in all areas. You would NEVER have any trouble finding something bigger than a forkie. Best thing i like is that usually you can have an area you want to hunt all to yourself, and if there is someone exactly where you want to go, then just find a different spot, there will be deer there also! I have went days in some areas and never ran into another hunter at all.
No brainer to me!

Nevada has some of the best Mule Deer hunting in the West for sure. Area 10 has the most deer but not the biggest if you wasn't to hunt every year or at least every other year put in got 10. as a nonresident Nevada is more than fair!! Cali hates nonresidents

If you have only hunted CA, you can't even imagine what hunting in NV is like. In CA, all you see is No Trespassing signs. In NV, all the signs say "Please Close the Gate". I love hunting there, but this year may be my last. Took me 6 years to draw this tag and I'm 61. I like to think I'll still be climbing the mountains when I'm 67, but that is an optimistic view. Start applying next season to build your points and by the time you get moved you will have a reasonable chance at drawing some really great tags as a resident. You might even get lucky and draw one before you move!

Wow.

I am truly thankful for the optimistic feedback. What a difference between asking for advice here, and asking for advice on some other states sites. Especially if you ask about California zones. It seems many people would prefer to keep people away from their zones, because the pressure is so bad and the deer are so far and few between.

Thank you for being so neighborly. I hate to say it, but I wasn't expecting that because it is usually not the case.

Id pick Elko. I have always been so impressed with that town. Very family friendly. And to have the Majestic Rubies in your backyard, Man how cool is that. I would have transfered there years ago but Im a real duck nut. Good luck, Tony

gazelle the only problem with Elko is no place to live, but a good choice. I would say anywhere in northern Nevada would be a wise choice.

You will be surprised of the hospitality here in the northern region :)

>gazelle the only problem with Elko
>is no place to live,
>but a good choice. I
>would say anywhere in northern
>Nevada would be a wise
>choice.
>
>You will be surprised of the
>hospitality here in the northern
>region :)

I have to agree. I've lived up north and down south. The only thing good about the south is its 3 hours to the mtns of southern Utah.

Leave this state ASAP!!!!! Pretty soon they'll pass a law saying if you have a job and pay taxes, you can't leave.

I've hunted Nevada since the early 80s and true, you can't always draw a "quality" tag but as said before, any tag in Nevada is better than a great tag in Kali.

As a resident, applying for wife, son and yourself (all species) and not being picky, you should draw some type of tag every year.

The tag game in NV is fun, and in most cases keeps things from getting too crowded (with exception of this year with a major tag increase).

I think in the last 6 years i have only not drawn a tag once. Granted i dont put in for the most difficult units, but not the give aways either. You'll have great hunts and the guys on this board are mostly willing to share and help make hunts enjoyable for others. especially for those once in a life time tags. Good Luck!

i just done a recap on my hunting years and since 1995 i have drawn one tag or another every year but 4. 2 years i didnt put in and in 08 and 09. These are all rifle tags this year drew 3.

>gazelle the only problem with Elko
>is no place to live,
>but a good choice. I
>would say anywhere in northern
>Nevada would be a wise
>choice.
>
>You will be surprised of the
>hospitality here in the northern
>region :)

Wow! I dident know that. I bet housing is pretty expensive then. Is it because of the mining jobs?

>>gazelle the only problem with Elko
>>is no place to live,
>>but a good choice. I
>>would say anywhere in northern
>>Nevada would be a wise
>>choice.
>>
>>You will be surprised of the
>>hospitality here in the northern
>>region :)
>
>Wow! I dident know that. I
>bet housing is pretty expensive
>then. Is it because of
>the mining jobs?

Yeah mining jobs no places to rent in elko carlin or battle mtn. We might have 5 rv spaces avail.

I left CA over 5 years ago. Moved to NV. I really like it here. I purchased a lifetime hunting and fishing Lic from CA on the last day I was considered a resident. I also purchased the package where you get one deer tag and 5 pig tags each year. I pay nothing for them except for the original purchase price. I live in the Western part of NV, so can get back into CA when I want to. So, if you do that you can become a NV resident, apply as one and still pick D6 as your third choice each year and get a x tag every few years or so. Much better opportunities here in NV, unless you have access to private property in CA. Good luck.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom