Never thought I would hear this from IDFG

Why not just make motorcycles and atvs illegal on forest roads and trails then. That's mainly how I see 90 percent of people hunt. How about horsemen on trails is that lazy? Hike like I do. To each their own!

....why on earth would hunters that get well off the road to hunt want to force road hunters off the road????......you really want the competition????...makes no sense at all to me

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Yeah, some clarification is in order. I'm no advocate of road hunting, but I can't shoot something if I spot it from a vehicle? Lots of guys with knee replacements and other issues would love the satisfaction of a 5 mile hike into the back country. I wouldn't call them unethical is they shot at something they spotted from the pick up. Very poorly written.

agreed pre64. as well i doubt few would hike all week and not find much, and see a 30" non typical on the side of the road and wouldn't legaly walk off the traveled portion or shoulder of the road and NOT shoot it.

The article appears to be directed more at the guys who are road hunting and shooting deer on private land or shooting from the seat of their truck than the guys who are on their way to and from their intended area who happen to see a deer from the road.

>The article appears to be directed
>more at the guys who
>are road hunting and shooting
>deer on private land or
>shooting from the seat of
>their truck than the guys
>who are on their way
>to and from their intended
>area who happen to see
>a deer from the road.
>

Yeah it appears to be. But this is an article on the IDFG web site. It carries weight. The article states;

Shooting from the roadway is not hunting. Hunting is distinguished from poaching, which is the killing, trapping or capture of the hunted species contrary to applicable law. Road shooting is not only unethical and extremely unsafe, it is illegal. It is time to break the unlawful tradition of pursuing game in this manner. "Hunting from roadways also contributes to trespass violations and these behaviors are often used to discredit hunters as unethical and lazy. We need to do more to preserve our hunting heritage and that includes standing up against unlawful and unethical hunting activities," says Regional Conservation Officer, Mark Hill.

I took my 8 year old little girl out deer hunting a few weeks ago. It was a big deal. She did her homework early and made a bed in the truck so she could sleep on the way. We putted around on the trails on the 4 wheeler (not much chance of seeing deer hauling an 8 year old up the trail). Saw deer, no bucks, great day. I made it very clear that we could not shoot from the road and had to respect private property rights. According to the article, this behavior is unethical, lazy, illegal, and the equivalent of poaching. You hear this F&G? Stop letting high school interns run your web site.

where i hunt this is a huge problem,its amazing how many people hunt from there trucks,shoot deer on private land without land owner permission,or chase them down on atvs, i hunt on foot and i have a hip replacement,i get around just a lot slower.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom