New 777 powder

Dobber

Has anyone tried this new Powder? What do you think? I have used pyrodex P and RS. I have not tried select or 777. I shoot a super 91, 45 cal with a 460 gr. "They say" it is cleaner and not as corrosive I am more concerned with performance.

i tried it and really liked the powder . it burned alot cleaner and it seemed to shoot alot faster , i was shooting from 200 yds and i could hear the bullet impact on the target i put up 2 2x6 boards and it went clean through both of them , it seemed to get down to the target alot faster . but i was shooting 140 gr of powder with a 240 gr / sabot . it also didnt leave alot of smoke in the air , i use to shoot the pyrodex select but now i like the 777.

Here are some results I got with 777 & Sabots @ 50 yds:

250 grain Cabela's x-tended range sabot:
90 gr 2"
95 1.5"
(skipped 2 tests here)
110 1.5"
115 1.5"
120 3/4" & 5/8"
125 1 7/8"
130 2 5/8" (max in my muzzleloader)

300 grain X-tended range
110 5/8ths
115 2"
120 1/2" & 5/8" (real happy with this combo)
<end of tests from the weekend>

One thing I found....v e r y important with that 777 is that I had to use a damp water/spit patch followed by a dry patch after every shot to get good groups--not cleaning between shots seemed to string my groups up and down--windage stayed good.

Running a patch with light amount of Hornady's natural patch lube after the dry patch made loading a breeze and didn't affect accuracy or ease to clean. In other words, it didn't seem to affect group size if I ran a very light lube patch after my spit and dry patch.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom