New Age 209 Primers

That figures,

Right after I spend a small fortune on Rem 209-410 primers and some Black Mag 3.

Sounds good, I wonder when it will hit the stores.

BeanMan

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-05 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]>That figures,
>
>Right after I spend a small
>fortune on Rem 209-410 primers
>and some Black Mag 3.
Don't give up on the Black Mag'3. If those primers shoot that clean with Pyrodex think how clean the barrel will be with BM3!!
And the big plus is that Black Mag'3 is non corrosive to steel which is not the situation with any of the other synthetics.

Keith,

I have a feeling I'll be a BM3 shooter regardless. As long as it is not too moisture sensitive. My reply was kind of tounge in cheek. I am going to compare the results using the 410 primers when I get here using all the powders I have. But that will be for fun.

Beanman

I do not think BM3 is very moisture sensitive. I have been told that it is not "waterproof" but can take more exposure than APP. I heard of one rifle in Florida that was left loaded for a year with no cap on the nipple and not sealed and it shot fine and on top of that had no corrosion in the rifle. I don't recommend doing that but the information is from a reliable source and gives me more confidence that the powder is more forgiving of moisture. Mine shot just fine in the rain and snow mix that I was hunting in but in my Omega I would not have expected a problem with any powder.

The new Rem primers may be slow-arriving in stores because many stores leave muzzleloading aisles bare until June. These new primers may also show up with the Hodgdon name on the package.

............."KEEP YER' POWDER DRY FELLAS".............

There has been some question about whether the new 'Kleanbore' primers were actually new technology or just the old 209-4 repackaged. So at lunch today I called Remington and got an answer, "Kleanbore Primers are a completely new technology and are different from the old 410 primers which have been discontinued".

so take that for what it's worth.

BeanMan

I would like to believe that they are new technology although the other report I got was supposed to be from a very reliable source that they are just the old 410 primers repackaged. I guess time will tell. I know this is the internet and anything can and probably will be stated as fact. Thanks for the input any input is better than none as we can filter out what does not seem to be reasonable. I would believe if the primers are really that clean it would be new technology as the old 410 primers were not that great or so I have been told as I could never find any to try.

like the primer makes any difference, give me a break.
its all in the power..............
the primer just ignites the power.......
the bullet kills the elk.
the knife skins the elk.
and you wife cooks the elk.
and you eat the elk.
nows that a fact jack.

Elkmaster101

I suggest you enroll in ML Primers 101... lol

I agree "777"; I know from tests run by Magkor, that if you ignite Black Mag'3 with an electronic ignition source there is virtually no residue in the barrel.

DA...
the only thing the primer does is light the fire.
it has nothing to do with fouling out the barrel.
you guy's make me laugh,
but i do agree if you dry shoot your gun and run a swab in it you will see that there is fouling,
this is due to the lower, and not so clean burn condition of the primer.
but if you shoot with a load in the barrel the power burns up the residue left by the primer.
the largest problem is to many of think the more power the better.
there is a limet to the amount of combustion you will reseave prior to the projectile leaving the barrel.
this is magnified by the copression range of combustion achieved in th stay and seat .
the stay is the amount of time the bullet "stays" in the barrel after the ingition has taken place/ and the seat is the friction between the bullet and the barrel.
the shorter the stay combined with the tighter the seat.
produces a better burn/ more compresion.
the higher the compression and better burn.
thats why you don't put rifle power in your muzzies.
like some lamos have,
the compresion, burn rate is so fast that it there is no place for it to go but out, and that is usaly thru the side of the barrel.
so please do'nt try to feed me crap about primers.
ya some are better than others. I place this on reiability
of iginition (going of when the time counts)
Not because they foul out your gun.

At least you sootburners have something to argue about. Us poor hillbillys in Idaho have 2 choices- #11 caps or musket caps!
209s are a no no.I enjoy reading about the tests & the arguing though!

foxtrot4elk

It's been some time,
Mr BeanMan, did you you kill any elk on the north west side of Mt. Guni.
Its going on 3 years for me to be down in the area.
still have the makins for a camp back below porcupine.
some day i'll make it back there and find someone has already found my little treasure chest.
looks like the north country for me this year.
Good luck with your endeavors.

Sence we all talking about crud rings. Has any one got the newest of the T/C Omega breach plugs? I just went out and shot my Omega with this newest of breach plugs, has a HOLE in the back about.345D and .355W or there abouts. Befor I would wet a patch with T/C cleaning moose milk HEHE shove it home and the darn thing would get stuck past the crud ring to the point that I had to remove the rod by removing the breach plug :-( and push it out the rear of the rifle Today cleaned same way in between shots and never got stuck :)there was still a tiney bit of crud there but nothing like befor and was using Remington primers and RS will use CCI next week. Think T/C is headded down the right path and they are listining to the consumers, now they need to work on the triger guard! Nim

I don't want to get into a long argument about this subject; however, there is a lot of chemistry going on in the barrel other than ignition and compression and burn time. The basics outlined are fairly correct for black powder but with the synthetics there is a whole list of variables other than just burn rate and bullet inertia resistance. Primer formulation and interaction with other chemicals in the barrel will have an effect on residue left after the shot.

YOU BET MLKeith.
its a know fact that a gun oil/cleaning sulution residue mixed W/ black power, can make a muzz, premature discharge.
With its highest likely chance, during the seating of the bullet, then after that, just whenever.
bummer there goes your shooting arm, your shoulder, and posibaly the left or right side of your face.
Just depends on how much leaning you do on your ramrod.
So much for the soiled barrel.

I found some Remington STS (Skeet-Trap-Sporting) 209 Premier primers at the Reno Sportsman's Warehouse in the ML area. Looking on the back of the box it states that the STS feature exclusive Kleanbore non-mercuric, non-corrosive priming mix.

After 10 shots using 105 grains of 777, I still had a crud ring in my Omega, but it seemed somewhat less.

Ed

Does anyone know when these new Kleanbore primers will be "at a store near you" I would do anything to help reduce/eliminate the infamous Omega crud ring. Thanks!

I think this whole crud ring boils down to not cleaning between
each shot correctly. Think about it. when you push a sabot down the barrel all the left over residue is pushed down into the powder area. then when the gun fires this hardens into what you call the crud ring. I have found by using a wetter patch and making 6 to 10 strokes down at the end of the barrel I get rid of the crud. You just have to run a dry patch and remove any moisture that will change how the powder ignites. you can fire a primer before loading to make sure it is dry like the traditional shooter do. I found this after going home from the range after cleaning what I thought was very throughly and pulling the breach plug and seeing a heavy deposit in the powder area. You could try this at the range also and see just how clean the breach area is between shots.

I just quit using 777 and my Omega crud ring problems are over. The only thing now is that the Black Mag'3 powder which is really great in my Omega is not to be found in the Phoenix Arizona area and I have to mail order it at great expense. If it is available to you or you are near a Cabelas you are in luck.

You obviously have not experienced it. It does not happen on the second or third shot. It is there from the very first shot if your rifle makes it; and with 777 in my Omega it makes such a hard ring on the very first shot that it takes a brass brush to get it out. I can remove most of it with three or four wet patches followed by several dry patches and that much cleaning is too much for me to deal with. I prefer to shoot Black Mag'3 which does not make the ring and I can load multiple shots without a swab between and the velocity for the same volume of powder is higher and the recoil is less severe. What is not to like about those results. Dry climate seems to make the 777 crud ring worse, and in Arizona guess what?

I've been shooting BM3 all winter, despite the high price I'll never shoot T7 again. No more crud ring for me.

BeanMan

Just ordered a pound from Cabela's. Called my local Sportsman's Warehouse and the gun guy told me they were working on getting it to all SW stores.

Ed

quote:
======
"Just ordered a pound from Cabela's. Called my local Sportsman's Warehouse and the gun guy told me they were working on getting it to all SW stores."

---------------------------------------------------------

Yikes...
...... $48 for one jug of Black Mag-3.... HAZMAT included!

Put it on TripleSe7en's Cabela's Platinum Visa Card.

Now I can do the commercial; Diesel fuel to Colorado- $647, Non-Resdient Muley tag-$293, Powerbelt Aerotips-$225, 5 Jugs of BlackMag'3-$240, blisters, clean air and 200" nontypical-Priceless!

Thanks, Ed

quote:
------
"Put it on TripleSe7en's Cabela's Platinum Visa Card."
=========================================================

Please don't do that! I just paid the entire balance of that Cabelas card so I can use the entire limit on our upcoming vacation in two weeks to Washington D.C, New York City and Boston.

I need ever dime allowable.... well I don't.... my wife does!

You think BM'3 is expensive. What till you pay $12 for a bagel, $9 for a beer, and your wife goes shopping.

Have fun and enjoy all the historical sites.

Ed

So what exact primers are we looking for? I'm guessing the Rem. STS are not what you are talking about? Iv'e been using the regular CCI primers. What's the name of the new Rem. primers you are talking about? When can you get them if you can get them?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom