new binos

cacklercrazy

I,m looking to get a new pair of binos. I'm wanting a pair of 10x42 and I would like to keep it under $1000. Two that I'm looking at are pentax 10x43 eds and minox hgs. I do wear eye glasses. Any others should ilook at and what do think about the two i;m concerding.

I would also check out the Leupold Gold Ring HD. They are honestly everything the Swarovski SLC's are. They have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. With the rebate you can get them for 599.00. They are a little heavy but with the bino harness that comes with them it is not an issue.

Cackler,

If you've got a $1k budget you can get some sweet glass. The leupolds mentioned would be great. Here's what I would do right now.

If you look around on the internet, you can find the various sizes of Nikon EDG for around a thousand dollars, give or take a hundred.They are excellent binoculars and optically are every bit as good as the big 3. Here's the bonus. All EDG products come with a rebate right now for a free Nikon D3000 camera kit, worth about $500. Keep the camera or give it to your wife for christmas, or sell it on ksl. That's a great deal.

The other option is to get something from Doug at Cameraland that has been "preowned". That usually just means somebody opened the box, and they'll look just like new. You could get top tier glass for that. You could also look on ebay and ksl for used binos from the big three.

If you're going to spend so much, get the best and never look back. You'll be glad you did.

Unfortunately, the Nikon EDG/D3000 offer ended Oct 31. It was a sweet deal.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

If the Leupold GR HD's are on your list, I'd make sure you get your hands on a pair before laying out your hard earned cash. I know lots of guys praise them, but I've tried several pair and have not been one bit impressed. Love their scopes and their Gold Ring spotters, but there's something about those binos that just doesn't jive with me. YMMV

Having said that, I'll echo DryFlyElk's comments and say a $1,000.00 will buy world-class glass, if you're patient. I've seen used Swarovski EL's sale for well under $1k, and know a guy who snagged a Leica Geovid 10x42 for $650.00. Don't be afraid to buy used, just use some common sense.

thank for the great info. I would still love to get feed back on the minox HG and the Penax eds. I'm looking onto used swak's

I have a pair of 10 by 42 Alpen and I love them...Not even close to 1000.00

over at optictalkforums a guy did a resolution test with the Minox and the Zen ray ED 2 the ZR ED2 blows away the Minox.
As a photographer myself I have used the best lenses in the world and I can tell you the Zen Ray ED2 is the best deal out there you get Alpha glass at 1/2 price right now because ZR is deply discounting to take market share. Expect the ZR price to double in a few years after they get market share. I have the ZR ED 10x43 and they do an amazing job. So long as ZR keeps the discount I won't buy any other brand no need to!

I haven't looked through a pair of Zens, but I'm concerned about the eye relief on them. I wear eye glasses.I been thinking I might save a few more pennies and get a pair of Steiner peregines they have a 20mm eye relief.

I have looked through the Minox Hg binos many times. For that price range, I like them. Light, great body, sharp image and do better at low light then I expected.

>I haven't looked through a pair
>of Zens, but I'm concerned
>about the eye relief on
>them. I wear eye glasses.I
>been thinking I might save
>a few more pennies and
>get a pair of Steiner
>peregines they have a 20mm
>eye relief.

you may want to check the field of view. From the research I have done when purchasing my binoculars, the extra long eye relief binoculars often come with very narrow field of view for the same magnification power.

>>I haven't looked through a pair
>>of Zens, but I'm concerned
>>about the eye relief on
>>them. I wear eye glasses.I
>>been thinking I might save
>>a few more pennies and
>>get a pair of Steiner
>>peregines they have a 20mm
>>eye relief.
>
>
>you may want to check the
>field of view. From the
>research I have done when
>purchasing my binoculars, the extra
>long eye relief binoculars often
>come with very narrow field
>of view for the same
>magnification power.

I don't know about all but I just got the new El's and they have 20mm eye relief and a 336 ft@1000yds which I thought was excellent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom