New build Idea's

REDDOG

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-10 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]I've been sitting on a K98 for awhile now, I was gonna do a 25-06AI. But I think I want to wax nostalgic on this one! Think exhibition grade wood, high gloss bluing, barrel band..you get the picture.

So, right now its between the 8x57JS and the 318 Westley Richards, I'm leaning heavily towards the 318.(been reading some of Harry Selby's adventures lately!)

Got any other cool idea's? It will most definitely be in a metric or English cambering. (9.3x62 is out)

I have conundrum on whether to drill/tap for scope mounts??? Admittedly, I am a telescope fan, what scope and mounts could a gun like this wear and still be classy?

Go with the 318 WR if that intrigues you. Stick a Shilen #3 contour barrel on it cut back to 20-22 inches with a full lenght Mannlicher stock.

If scoped, should stay with a compact slim 20-25 mm 1 X 4 power to avoid looking top heavy. A compact set of quick detachable mounts might be nice. Would make a great looking woods gun in the old European tradition.

RELH

Hadn't thought of the mannlicher, excellent idea, thanx.

your on to something with the quick detaches. because irons are a must on a rifle like this, weather i use them or not!

A few more things to ponder.. Buehuler style or 3 pos wing safety?

Double set triggers may be a nice touch..then again, maybe not?

bottom metal, sunny hill? Jerry Fisher? other options?

I haven't looked at barrels, may go with Lothar Walther on this one..does shilen even make a 330" ?

damn, this could get expensive!

You have already made it expensive when you mentioned bottom metal. This is your gun, go with what makes you happy. Get on line with the Brownell's web site and search under Mauser and pick the parts that you like. Do a add up of the items and see if it stays in your ball park that you are willing to spend.
If your K-98 bottom metal is in good shape, you can save about 400-450 bucks by having it polished out and re-blued vs. going with the expensive custom bottoms. You can even taper the guard bow to give it a more streamlined look. If you have dinged up screws, Brownells even has replacements for those.
Too bad that K-98 was not a 1909 Argentine, you would not have the expense of custom bottom metal or reshaping the bottom metal for a custom look.

RELH

I hear that. The bottom metal, for around 500 makes using that action a money pit, that may as well be spent on another action. I will probly just have it worked over. I posted about bottom metal wondering if their are other manufacturers, I know there is one company making it for around 250, but I cant remember their name.

I had a '93's bottom metal fully polished and engraved ( a friend does it, so we did some trading for very nice $$ savings)it turned out very nice so I may go that route again,its chambered in 257 Bob. its getting stock finish work now, I will post a few pic's when I get it back, its not been in my hands in 3 years!

This is waht I had in mind!

4416wr-boltactionrifle01.jpg

6210wr-boltactionrifle02.jpg

7539wr-boltactionrifle03.jpg

Great custom, the only thing I would change would be that front sight and ramp. Too high and square at the back of the ramp and takes away from the streamline looks.
You relize you are looking at a converted 1909 Argentine action there and several thousand dollars without the engraving.
Very good wood stock, but not the highest grade. I have had the pleasure of handling wood blanks that sold for 1800-2000 bucks just for the blank.

I also have a VZ-24 98 mauser action that I have been saving for a custom job and a very good Circassion walnut stock blank with black marble cake streaks. One of these days i will get around to building it when i decide on the caliber. May hold off and build it for my Grandson.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]

I ain't gonna be copying it exactly, just ball park. I dont think that wood will be too hard to match for around 5-600$, or maybe I have just gotten lucky in the past.. (blanks of course). I don't like the front site either. I do kinda like the antique/french gray bluing on the action. I have a friend that engraves. he isn't a hobbyist, he has worked as a pro engraver most of his life but he is getting rather old, and some of his lines aren't as strait as the once were (he's retired) I do love watching him cut lines..no electric motors involved, all old school! while his work still isn't cheap, I happen to own a few pieces of heavy equipment he often needs the services of, so we do some horse trading. works out well. I think I've put a pic of the Dan Wesson he fully engraved for me I ain't good with a camera, and I cant catch the detail in pictures very good, but it looks nice!

Mauser's all dolled up like that have always been my favorite looking gun, well that and a fine SxS shotgun!

been pricing properly stamped brass, seems the only maker is Bertram out of Australia..damn, I thought Norma was expensive! the good thing is, the 318 is easily formed from the 30-06, so I'll never have to worry about that! but I do want some properly stamped.

P.S you think they are using a side safety on that gun above? I think a wing safety, double set triggers and a butter knife bolt handle would look good, but I have different taste's than most!

Speaking of the 1909 Argentine, I had my hands on one last month, almost make it mine!

A friend picked up one chambered in 270 from a pawn shop, it was in an ugly herters stock. He brought it to me to see if I could get it shooting. When he showed it to me, I immediately tried to buy it, i even tried to trade him my 700 in 270. I showed my poker face tho, and made him think he really had something which he really dont, cause he doesn't appreciate that action like I do. The gun shot good, and I couldn't lie about it doing so, so his 14 Year old kid will be carrying it this year..damn!

If you work at it, 500-600 bucks should get you a stock blank that will match or better that one in the picture. I also like the Win. style swing safety, but the Buehler also looks good and functions very well on the Mauser action.
The French coin gray finish is good looking, but also look into the possibilty of applying a rust blue finish. Looks a heck of a lot better then the black color you get with hot salt bluing.
Hit the gun shows, sometimes you can pick up parts or stock blanks for a decent price from a guy who is not a dealer and has not overpriced what he is selling.
Take your time and get the custom you want, even if you have to do it in stages as you get spare money. Stay in good with that retired engraver, trading work for engraving can save you about 700-800 bucks on the rifle.
The bottom line is you get that custom you allways wanted, and it will become a family heirloom for you to pass down to a child or grandkid.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom