New bullet from Nosler

solitude

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-07 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]Was on the Nosler web site today and noticed they have just unveiled a new game bullet: the "E-tip". Looks to be their take-off on the Barnes X. Only differences I can see at this point is the use of a polycarbonate tip to help with better expansion on peeling the bullet further back, and they have added a "proven alloy using a gilding metal frame" to cut back on the fouling all copper bullets are sometimes famous for. It most likely won't come apart on anything. Has anyone seen anything written up on their performance on game with prototypes yet?

After going on the web site and looking at the new bullet... it is not the xp3

Just what we needed, another premium bullet that will cost $1 each to handload, and $3 each in loaded ammo. Its too bad some of the other cheaper bullets that have been around won't kill animals anymore.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

257Tony, I agree some of the old standbys have lost their shine, but these new bullets are sometimes needed in high velocity magnums. I was reading on another site of a guy here in Montana pushing a .30 cal 200 gr Accubond at 3490 fps. Not a typo. mtmuley

Tony;
I have a good solution to that high cost of bullets. I will stick with Sierra's for deer and antelope and Nosler Partitions for larger game. They have never failed me in 30 years of hunting and give superb accuracy in the rifles I use them in.

RELH

They are looking at the california market right now. California is very close to outlawing lead bullets statewide for hunting. I believe it is going to happen.

JB

I'll agree with you Jef, only in this state do they go overboard on laws to protect endangered condors and the big vultures are only in a small part of the state.

RELH

Hey, the liberal idiots in California would outlaw all bullets and shotgun shells and hunting given the opportunity!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-07 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]RELH,

I believe I have come to the same conclusion about Sierra Gameking bullets for deer/antelope and Nosler Partitions for elk. Just read a thread about a chap hunting in Africa that had no exit wounds on any of his game shot with the Accubonds. I had been wanting to try them but if they won't fully penetrate then I don't want them. I get good performance with my old favorites, guess I'll just keep using them.

Phantom Hunter

Phantom, just cause they didnt pass through does not mean they did not penetrate. as long as they penetrate to the vitals then thats good enough!

i have used accubonds and have seen them penetrate from the left rear but cheek of a buck and pass through the center front of the chest... thats penetration.
Casey

I do not care for a bullet that does not fully pass though and exit the majority of the time. Unless you hit spine or brain, most big game animals, elk is a good one, will not drop in their tracks, they will take off and go anywhere from 30 yards to several hundred yards before they lay down and die.I had one deer go 200 yards before he died, and the Sierra game king had blown away the top of his heart. I had to track him via the blood trail left behind from the exit hole.
trying to track on just a entrance hole is about impossible, due to the hole being small and tissue will close up the wound most times. It is the larger exit hole that will allow the blood to flow enought to make tracking far easier.
I want a bullet that will expand several calibers larger, and will stay together enought to insure complete pass thought on a high percentage of shots. No bullet will preform 100% of the time, but we must choose one that will do it's job on most shots we take at game. I normally take lung-heart shots at deer and antelope and the sierra game king will give me complete pass though on deer and antelope, even out to 500 yards.
For toughter game such as elk, I prefer the Nosler Partition because it will give me the expansion and exiting capabilities that I want even if I happen to hit bone. I have never lost a animal to these bullets not preforming, so why should I pay double-triple the money for other bullets when I do not have a problem that needs fixing. Besides both of these bullets are very accurate in the rifles that I use them in.
There are other good bullets out there besides the Partition or gameking, but there is also some with more marketing hype and expense that lack in field preformance.
Must be the snob appeal of having to pay "TOP DOLLAR" for a box of bullets that might not be as good as other brands at a lower cost, with proven field use.
Sorry guys, I just had to get that in, The devil made me do it. The bottom line, if you like the bullet and it does it's job for you, you are ahead in the game. I happen to like Partitions and game kings and they have proven themselfs over the last 30 years to me. In fact I think the Partitions today are more accurate then the ones they made 20 years ago. I have no problems getting them to group under 1 inch in my 300 mag, 25-06, and 30-06 that I use them in. I just wish that they made one for the 45/70 in a 350 grain weight.
RELH

Casey,

I know there are those that want a bullet to expend all it's energy inside a game animal. I respectfully disagree with that premise. RELH explained the position I hold better than I can. I like exit wounds and don't want to pay an arm and leg to get them.

Phantom Hunter

MUZZ, THE NO LEAD LAW IS TO SAVE THE CONDOR...BY KEEPING LEAD OUT OF THE FOOD CHAIN. IT HAS ALREADY TAKEN PLACE IN PARTS OF CALIF. & ARIZONA, BUT NOT STATE WIDE.... YET. THE WORD IS THAT EVENTUALLY ALL STATES WILL BE LEAD BULLET FREE, TO HELP ALL ANIMALS SPECIES IN THE FOOD CHAIN. YOU WILL SEE MANUFACTURES START PUMPING OUT ALL SORTS OF LEAD FREE BULLETS, AND COMPETING FOR YOUR $$$$$.----YD.

YD is correct we have those condors in N AZ. and they want you to shoot lead free in the Bab and on the Strip If memory serves. It's going to be a new can of worms to protect the species. By the way I was reading that the fabled three legged knot toed red crested Serro Rapter has some sort of a sensitivity to gun powder and that we will all be shooting compressed gas projectiles in those states effected. Since they only inhabit areas with large deer populations I'm sure that will be interesting.

I must be missing something.........

I figured one of those lead core bullets, especially
a nice handloaded Sierra, would drop a Condor at many
hundred's of yards.

Where has my thinking gone south ??

lrv

Phantom, agreed... i would rather have two holes in a animal... however, if it doesnt exit does not mean it wont work. i shot a cow elk at 75 yard with a 165 SGK from my 308. she jumped on her back legs and then fall backwards and never moved a muscle. shot a whitetail buck running, 1/4ing away through the heard with no exit.. he also fell right there.

i would rather track by a exit wound rather than a entrance alone.
Casey

....2 weeks ago I shot a 1200# steer with a 22lr solid and he is now in my freezer. Maybe I should hunt big game with it.

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom