New Camo System

a10warthog

Hey folks I need your opinions to help decide which system to buy. I've been geared up in Scentlock for years and I am looking to upgrade. I hunt from August through Feb in several western states. I really like the new patterns and designs out there and money is some what of an issue but not terrible. What are your thoughts on the different durability as opposed to cost, clothing lines. Been looking at Sitka, Kuiu, and, UA. Any others you would recommend, or stick to these choices?

I would take a hard look at SKRE. A bit cheaper than KUIU and Sitka but looks very similar. I haven't seen any in person yet, maybe someone that has it will chime in. The pattern looks good to me.

Kuiu
best option out there in my opinion. lightest most affordable with the newest technology out there.

"Shoot Straight"

Don't look past Kryptek either, in my opinion the Kryptek and Kuiu are the absolute best options and I would also throw SKRE into the mix as they are coming up as well. UA and Sitka are getting stupid with their prices. Ive hunted Alaska the past 3 years with Kryptek and my brother ran the KUIU we both loved our gear. Good luck with your decision

There is a ton of good hunting clothing out there. I personally like kudu, however I have several items from first lite, core4 and Sitka. Keep checking camofire, you can usually pick up several pieces for hundreds less than retail.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-16 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]Coming soon: Pnuma Outdoors. Only available online, lifetime warranty, no retail price markup. Supposed to start shipping in 2 weeks. Systems include base layer, warm weather, softshell, insulated, waterproof/breathable.

And Sylo, the current iteration of c4e, available on Camofire.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm working on it. One thing I've noticed is having to change sizes for comfort in Sitka. As far as xl pants and xxl jacket. Is this the same with most? I'll have to buy some stuff on line. Kuiu for instance? Do I need to adjust what I'm buying size wise for most brands?

I am waiting to get my hands on some browning hells canyon gear. It described like the yukon but softer and quieter. We'll see.

>Thanks for the input guys. I'm
>working on it. One thing
>I've noticed is having to
>change sizes for comfort in
>Sitka. As far as xl
>pants and xxl jacket. Is
>this the same with most?
>I'll have to buy some
>stuff on line. Kuiu for
>instance? Do I need to
>adjust what I'm buying size
>wise for most brands?

So my best advice for the KUIU is to size up. If it doesn't fit they will return ship it and get you the size that you need. They are pretty awesome to deal with on a customer service aspect!

Thank you. Can you only get Kuiu online? I live in northern Utah. I would like to get my hands on some before I make the purchase. I am leaning towards Kuiu but still investigating. The cost of all of them is pretty substantial for the whole system.

Kuiu is only available online. They only sell direct to customers and are not in any retail stores. The only place I have ever seen where you can put your hands on their products is at the Hunt Expo.

most of the stuff i have bought from Kuiu has held true to their size charts and how i measure. the only products i noticed that vary were the jackets. i needed to size up on those but everthing else was a perfect fit to me. being 6'1" 200 im a pretty good standard to that large, XL category. they are an athletic fit also. so they are made to be snug.

"Shoot Straight"

If you are planning on getting KUIU, you better order it here soon. They usually sell out and have stuff backordered when seasons get close.

I think KUIU is the best out right now. SKRE is great as well. I have a small amount of Kryptek as my backup camo. I wear KUIU for everything from early season archery to late winter elk hunts. I've never been cold in it, or wet.

Jackets and coats run a size small on me, so I have to order XXL when I usually wear an XL. Everything else has been true to size, and I have a lot of it to sample from.

Has anyone ever stopped by the kuiu store? I have a bit of their gear- pack, sleeping bag and quarter zip, was thinking of stopping by next month on my way through to try stuff on pants/jacket before I buy.
I know their customer service is top notch after a mess up on them just want to see what fits.

Looks like I am in the minority, but I much prefer Sitka's clothing to that of Kuiu. I do prefer Kuiu's backpacks and bino system over Sitka's, but the fit and finish of Kuiu's clothing seems to be lacking. Almost reminds me of something that is homemade. Sitka's products are more like something that you would get from Arc'Teryx or Patagonia. Also, don't over look First Lite. Their merino wool products are superior to both Sitka and Kuiu IMHO. I have zero experience with any of the other companies mentioned.

I know it will get taken the wrong way, but try not to do so. Is this stuff really worth the price you pay for it? I mean it looks cool, has some interesting features, but I just can't see putting out that money. I can't help but see getting the crotch ripped out on barb wire or whatever.

I do run middle range boots, and a pretty good duck hunting coat, but I can't see what makes them worth what you pay. Now realize I am asking as my 5yr old is rocking UA gear while old dad is wearing his old navy gear.

This isn't judgement, its actually something I am curious about. I have one guy in my party who rocks the sitka, and he swears by how great it is, but he rarely makes it 50 ft from the truck so apparently it rides good?

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I agree alot with Hossblur on this. Maybe its because I cant afford that stuff too. But one thing I have always learned, it didnt matter how cool the camo was or the cover scent. If the wind changed, the animals were gone. 2 to $300 for pants or shirts is crazy. My cabelas specials or camofire specials have done me well. But Each to his own opinions.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-16 AT 09:09PM (MST)[p]I will give my 2cents on Hossblur's question.
I used to agree that the high tech stuff from Sitka, and then Kuiu was just hype. But when I had a chance to go on a Dall sheep hunt I was able to pick up some reduced price Sitka gear and I fell in love with it. The comfort in climbing, moisture wicking, lighter weight rain gear, etc., etc. became well worth the extra cost to me. The initial price made me swallow a bit, but the quality lasts. After 6 years of hard wear, it's still in good shape.

I have since switched to Kuiu and found I like it even more. It is very specialized clothing and just like sportswear for athlete's gives them a slight edge, the upper level gear for hunting can do the same thing for a hunter. That's not to say you can't be a good hunter without it, because many are. But when I am climbing hard, and not feeling the sweat, or hunkered down in a down-pour, and still dry, I am glad I spent the extra bucks.

Some guys buy their boy a $300 baseball bat so he has the edge on his little league team. Others jack up a new 4X4 with big mud tires so it looks real hot.

Me, I have found I like being real comfy on the mountain.

To each their own.

Hossblur, is it about the camo patterns or the clothing?
Paying $200 for a pair of pants just to get a camo pattern might be crazy.
If you are currently hiking in levis in the middle of summer, it might not.

My personal opinion on a lot of this stuff is pretty simple.
If you spend most of your time hunting in easily accessible locations, and you return to a big fancy 5th wheel trailer at the end of each day, you could definitely get by with less.

Sure its nice to have insulation pieces that weigh nothing and pack down into super small packages. The stuff performs well.
But if you head back to the ATV and camp when the weather goes a bit south, just to wait out the conditions, why spend the money?

If you hunt in the back country, where you are several hours hike and many, many miles from the last time you saw a vehicle, having that kind of gear might be well worth the money.

A guy backpack hunting at 11,000 feet has different needs than a guy hunting half a mile from his ATV. With a nice camp waiting for him at the end of the day.

It often snows and hails in the high country, even in July and August. A guy needs to be prepared and have options.

The funny thing is, you do see tons and tons of people buying the light weight, compact, performance gear and then road hunting.

Hey, if you have that much extra money laying around, good for you.

I figure its all about need.
If you need to be ready for heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow, and have a tent, and all your food on your back, and be a days walk into the middle of nowhere, you might look seriously at some spendy gear.

I am glad to see some of the guys bring up brands like first lite, pnuma, and even the new hells canyon speed line from browning.
Tusx, is another small one.

Kuiu and Sitka get all the mainstream buyers.

I know a guy who wears his $280 sitka kelvin to work every day in the winter.
I guess he wants it to smell like a chemical factory, but hey! He probably cant afford another jacket. So, use what you got.

People these days have too much money. I don't know where they get it all.
How many $19,000 side by side ATV's are tearing up the world right now?
Thats crazy. Who has $20,000 to spend on a seasonal toy?
Do these people ever plan on retiring? Sending their kids to college? Paying off the mortgage early?

Maybe I am just poor. Who knows?

The new "high end camo" craze is just another example of too much money. If you can afford it, and you figure you need it, great.
If not, I don't think its right for you.

I seriously doubt its worth $80 for a shirt, $200 for a pair of pants, and $250 for a jacket, with a bit more for a hat, just so you can wear an outfit with a certain camo pattern on it.
That would be silly.

But thats just me. Who knows what people are thinking?

I gotta say I am surprised. You guys actually read my question the way it was intended. I've never hunted dall sheep, so that answer seems logical to me.

We hike in miles on above 9000ft, haven't had a non snow year for elk in a while(actually we got 2 days sleet last year). I wear dickies duck pants(because I also work in these pants and I can buy 2 for what 1 carhardt costs). Granted I do hike back out to a camp.

I really was curious. I mean as was pointed out there are the guys who put 6 inch lifts and cover their "hunting" rig in chrome, and then the guys that know what they really want is a beater with 33x9 pizza cutters. So I guess that's what I was wondering, which kind rocks the high end gear. My guy rocks his sitka, but got lost twice last year hiking down hill to a road, so he's not the best at "needing" top quality gear.

As for the other question, we used to work on $500k+ houses for kids that were newlyweds, just graduated from college. They would pull up in their Tahoes and Escalades, and move in with their enclosed full of wheelers or snowmobliles. I used to wonder WTF everyday, until I learned about 0 interest loans and 2nd mortgages on houses that were still under construction. So I guess what I need is some dudes that wear 38x34 pants, 2xl shirts and jackets to go bankrupt?

Thanks for not taking offense to an honest question.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I've used both Sitka & Kuiu and I love them both. The advantages to Kuiu (what I'm currently using) is that it is more affordable. I get a whole set of Yukon rain gear for what I get a sitka storm front jacket for. If you wait to buy it till it goes on sale. It seems like Kuiu is on sale about 3-4 times a year.
The downside to Kuiu is just about every time I go to buy something its backordered, although it seems to be getting better.
I think Sitka customer service is unbeatable and have had a few issues with Kuiu getting shipping addresses correct and then not making it right when they screwed it up. (eventually everything was ok)
my two cents

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-16 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]I wear 38 x 34, 2xl unless it's Merino and then it's 3xl, but have never gone bankrupt. You won't kill any more animals because you bought the new technical stuff but from a guy that's killed a bunch of Elk in Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke sweater, you'll be a whole lot more comfortable during, and at the end of the day. I thought it couldn't be that much better but it is. Doesn't weigh as much, doesn't get as wet, and dries a hell of a lot faster. Start slow and build as you learn what will work for the way you hunt. I bought one sitka Core shirt and saw the benefits. I then went down to Sportsmans and bought a traverse shirt, Ascent pants, and a 90% jacket. That was 5-6 years ago and I still wear that stuff most every day hunting. I've added a cpl Core4 merino shirts at closeout prices.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom