New car recommendation

400bull

Very Active Member
My 1996 Pontiac Grand AM commuter car is starting to show signs that it has seen the last of its days with out putting a lot of cash into it to keep it running. My wife has decided that it is time to break down and replace the Grand AM with a more reliable car. The problem is every time we start talking about it she goes straight to the mini van, I refuse to get a mini van but I don't have any other suggestion for a replacement vehicle. I would like to hear what you guys are driving or would recommend. Here are the current minimum requirements. Needs to get good gas mileage (25 MPG or more), needs to seat 5 comfortably (2 adults and 3 teens), preferably an SUV but would be willing to look at anything but a mini van, vehicle will be used mostly in town driving to and from work. We will be headed out tonight after work to do our first round of looking, if I had some ideas on what to get beforehand it sure would cut down on the scouting time (ha, ha, ha). Any recommendations?

400bull

400-

I absolutely love my van. Honda Oddysey! Never thought I'd own one but it's fun to drive and great for the kids - I've got 4 of 'em. Hard to strap a deer to the top, but we get by :)

Sorry it's not what you were looking for.

TRH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-11 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-11 AT 09:51?AM (MST)

I bought a 2005 Chrysler town and country mini van (new) several years ago. My wife decided she wanted an SUV. So, I was talked into it. It was one of the dumbest decisions we ever made.

Good gas mileage, drives as good or better than a car, sliding doors for your kids, less fighting while driving, plenty of room for long trips.

I sure wouldn't care what people thought about a van. Yeah, they are ugly but who cares???

It sure is fun getting 15-17 mpg with this expedition!

Another lazy guy looking for a handout. Get off your butt and go find the car of your dreams. Geez, You've had since 1996 to track down a replacement and now at the last minute you come on here and whine.

Let me guess, you had a mechanic buddy that was supposed to help you out and now he has bailed. Here's some free advice. Take your kids and go walk from car lot to car lot. The memories you make will be priceless plus the next time you need a car you won't have to come on here asking questions without a clue.

At the very least you should use google earth to get a feel for what you are up against. After spending a few hours on google earth get back on here and ask intelligent questions about the car lots you have scoped out. Earn it man. }>

We had a mini van and and did not want a full sized SUV. We just bought a Vovlo XC60. Great litttle crossover car. You can fit 5 people. There is also the XC90 that is a little bigger and has third row seats.

We recently needed to upgrade due to having another kid. We got a Durango and I absolutely love it. It doesnt get the gas milage you are after, but I love it. Plus it has four wheel drive so you can go up in the hills too.

Easy there TAG! I understand that everyone else has worked hard to find their little parking lot on earth. I have no intentions of stilling your parking lot I was just hoping that I could get some pointers to get me started in the right direction. Figured it would be better to get started on the right foot then spend a lot of time looking over the car lots only to find out that there is nothing there that fits the bill. By the way any suggestions on what to look for when using google earth that would help narrow my search down? I know that I will be looking in the Salt lake/Utah county area? LOL!

You guys are no help! I thought for sure I would get all kinds of help on why not to get a mini van. I sure hope that my better half does not see this post. She does not need any more fuel to justify getting a mini van. In all honesty I am not opposed to getting a mini van if that's what we need, I would rather get a little SUV instead.

400bull

We were in the same position. We ended up buying a Buick Enclave. It is a FANTASTIC ride! It is the Midsize SUV and a great car! We love it and do not regret it one bit!! It has a way better warranty 5/60,000 rather than the typical 3/36000. The only thing is you will not get the 25mpg that you want.

You might want to wait until the 2012 vehicles come out this fall. The Ford explorer is coming out with a new 4 banger that will be rated at 28 MPG for highway driving. The nice thing is that it is pushing 230 HP and should not bog down on hills.

My wife will be looking at it as she wants a 4 wheel drive vehicle that she can drive over to Reno in the winter without having to drive my "Tank" a Ford F-250 HD with 7.3 diesel.

RELH

When I was younger I always said if I'm ever caught in a minivan just shoot me because life is over. I'm on my second minivan and I love it. It is the greatest clandestine vehicle ever. You can go 20 over the speedlimit and cops don't even look at you twice. They just figure something is wrong with their detector or that it must be the car behind you.

Not the greatest vehicle for picking up chicks but if you ever do hook up with one, there's plenty of room inside:)

WE JUST BOUGHT A FORD EDGE........27 HW...17 CITY....MEETS ALL YOUR SPECS. ALL WHEEL DRIVE, NAVIGATION, REAR BACK UP CAM, BELLS & WHISTLES YOU WONT BELIEVE. BEAUTIFUL RIDE......CONSUMERS #1 RATED SUV.....IN THE METALLIC PEARL.......NICE...........YD.

get the van!

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

Sorry those of you who are PRO-mini van... I would never buy one. I have heard all about how great they are for little kids and how easy it is to get them in-and-out of their car seats. I do not care, I would not buy a van... and luckily, my wife absolutely despises them :)

I agree, I would look at a crossover.

I just bought a 2011 Subaru Outback for my wife and new baby. It's rated mpg is 22-29, but people have seen over 30 with it. I got the 4 cyl.. Not a lot of power, but enough. Drives nice, should be good in the snow, and there are pretty reliable. The baby car seat fits great in it and has a large rear cargo area. Price wasn't too bad either.

>I just bought a 2011 Subaru
>Outback for my wife and
>new baby. It's rated
>mpg is 22-29, but people
>have seen over 30 with
>it. I got the
>4 cyl.. Not a lot
>of power, but enough.
>Drives nice, should be good
>in the snow, and there
>are pretty reliable. The
>baby car seat fits great
>in it and has a
>large rear cargo area.
>Price wasn't too bad either.
>
Tree hugger!

Traditional >>>------->

Go look at a Ford Escape- it is a smaller size suv, comes with a v6 and has plenty of power to tow a small boat or trailer.
It is a 4x4, gets around 25 mpg,has all the goodies to play with on the dash, and made in the good old USA!

I would reccomend a blazer or pathfinder so your getting at least 18 + MPG... then go to ewsews.com and get a natural gas kit for it. I put natural gas on my car with on of these kits. I went from $32 a day in gas to $11. 3 Hrs travel time a day. that should offset the bad MPG.

There are some great suggestions here. The Enlcave is an awsome car. The Escape is nice but pretty basic. The new Explorers are amazing. If I were in the market I would go with the Explorer. You also have the Chevy Equinox, not sure about the mileage but they are nice. Or you could go and find a used Pontiac Aztec.... The ugliest vehicle EVER made!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Not sure if this fits in, but.........

With the mileage the new trucks are getting I'm leaning towards scrapping the commuter car/pick-up concept and getting a 4 door half ton. The new ones pull as much as my 10 year old 3/4 ton and get decent mileage around town. Plus, only one vehicle to maintenance and pay insurance on. Also a great excuse to look at new trucks.

I would get a Ford Edge, but if cost is a concern (as it is for me)... I like the Ford Fusion with the small motor. It gets the same gas mileage as most sub-compacts, but has the look, size, and styling that is nice enough to take to dinner.

Obviously, I'm a Ford guy.

Grizzly

Another vote for the Subaru Outback. They are bigger than before and not as boxy as they used to be. I've been a Toyota guy for years, but this car rocks. Just went on a long road trip: 32 mpg driving mountain passes and 75 mph! My backup car is a 2003 Honda Pilot which is AWD and lots of room.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Bought my wife a mitsubishi outlander, it can seat up to 7, whoever is in the backseat will not be comfortable unless they are under 10 years old. It does incredible in the snow, I average 22mpg in town and 28 hwy. Nothing fancy but we got it for 22k brand new. I have been impressed so far.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom