New gun safe?

jodog

Very Active Member
Anyone have any info on a good gun safe? Im going to buy a new one this month and was wondering what others had.

I have a fourteen gun safe with combo dial. Shown in link, nothing fancy but it works.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4324485

Some things to consider when buying a gun safe:

1). Always buy the biggest you can afford, trying to fit fourteen rifles in a fourteen gun safe is not easy. It really takes allot of moving stuff around to make them fit.

2). A separate shelf for all the little stuff (and ammo). I keep my GPS, radios, range finder, binos, etc.. up on the shelf and I feel I do not have near enough room. I have to stack my ammo on the floor. Mine does have a bunge cord system on the inside of the door that is handy for light stuff.

3). Spend the extra money and get a digital pushbutton unit or better yet get one with biometrics (thumb print). I had an incident where I needed to get into mine in a hurry to stop a car break in, trying to dial a combo in the dark, quickly, is not easy. I now keep it unlocked when I go to bed and lock it again when I get up. Having a digital or biometric unit would have been easy

4). An interior light would be great as well.

Hope this helps

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

BROWNING SAFES, you can't go wrong. Also get one that is larger than the number of rifles you wnat to store, as they will get filled later for sure.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-07 AT 00:15AM (MST)[p]i just bought a 24 gun Liberty safe from the local quality supply. Bought alot bigger than i probably need but thats a good excuse to buy more guns ;-) it was a little pricier than what i could have got but just seems to be a more quality set up than most of the ones i looked at.

I looked at them quite a while before buying and the Fort Knox has the best fire rating of any I found. I got the upgraded fire door and electronic key pad.

Bigger is definitely better and safer. By the time you get all of your pictures, legal documents, camera's and stuff. It will be stuffed full in no time.

I read an article about a professional theif and he always took the whole safe, then cut his way into it at some place he could make a bunch of noise. I have the biggest Fort Knox model, and completely empty, it is all 4 guys can handle. When I fill it full of heavy crap, it would be an absolute back breaker to try to do anything with.

I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but they aren't going to just slip out with it either.

I have a American Eagle safe made by Cannon ( about 800 pounds ). It works great. It is in the Garage so it is just a rough finish that does not show marks or fingerprints. I still need to bolt it to the floor.

I though I bought one a lot bigger then I needed but it is filling up. So when you buy one get one that is two sizes bigger then you need.

My wife gives me a bad time because all our legal documents and important papers are in a small fireproof safe about the size of a briefcase that could be carried out the door and my guns are in a fourteen gun safe that weighs about 300 lbs that sits in the corner of our bedroom.
She thinks I put more importance on my guns.......I say "DUH!!"

I tell her I need a bigger safe, but she just does not understand the importance of growing room.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

It's all about the sales job. Ask her is she feels safe leaving her jewlry in a drawer, just begging someone to break in and steal it? What about those family photo albums, if we have a fire they are gone forever. What about those legal documnets?

You can't have some crappy little safe, any idot with a dolly can steal all your valuables. You need a monster safe.

If you sell it right, she will be pressing you to do something about it. :) :) :)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-07 AT 00:12AM (MST)[p]I just bought a new "Tall Wide Body" Outfitter's Series safe from Cabela's last Thursday. It was on sale in the Lehi store for $899.99 and they took another 10% off because I bought it during their three-day Law Enforcement/Fire Fighter/Government Employee Appreciation Days Sale, plus they knocked another $30.00 off because the only one they had left was the display model and some jackass had scratched his name on the back of it with a key (Will never be seen now that it's backed up against the wall).

Anyway, the one I got holds 30 long guns and has plenty of room for other valuables, plus it's fire rated and guaranteed for life through both Cabela's and the actual manufacturer, Cannon Safes.

It about killed four of us getting it into my basement, but was well worth it! I don't know if they'll get more in stock, or if they'll ever offer them for $899.99 again, but it's a heck of a deal if they do!

Here's a link to the exact safe I bought:
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0040089228301a.shtml

I have two safes and both of them are made by Liberty. I also will tell you to figure out in your mind how big of a safe to get and then buy one TWICE that capacity. I have the old fashioned dial combination locks on mine. I just figured that the electronic push pads were just somthing else that could malfunction and give me more grief (kind of like electric windows on your vehicle. They always go TU when you've just rolled your window down and then it starts to rain!!)

figure out what you need then multiply times 2.5 cause if you don't you'll get one too small.
Get electric inside
get lights
put it on a box off the floor
get the push button lock cause I've had both
you need pistol rack on the door for sure
de-humidifier
get a nice finish not a cheap one
change all your gun safes to the same combo

cold dead hands

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom