New Gun

DSilver

I'm looking to get a gun that I can use for pretty much every big game animal I may choose to hunt in the future. I'm leaning towards this gun in a 300 wby mag. Anyone have this gun/cartridge? What do you like or not like about it?

No flies on the 300 Wby.

Yes, price is relative and most guys will maybe pop a box or two per year so the ammo cost is irrelevant, IMHO.

I opted for the 300 RUM years ago and never looked back. My oldest daughter now has my 300 Win because she shot a few elk, deer and bear with it and proclaimed it as hers! Another daughter has my ultra light 270 win now too. I lose more good rifles that way!:love:

Zeke

If I were looking at one rifle for everything, I would consider first, what I would be hunting the most. If elk size or bigger game is regularly on the list then the .30 cal would foot the bill. Like mtmuley, I would probably consider the RUM over the Weatherby but the Weatherby rifle doesn't give you that option. Nothing wrong with Weatherby's. They have a solid reputation, but I have never owned one so I can't comment on them.
Personally, I hate being over gunned or pack too much weight. I don't often get to hunt big critters but I have a 28 Nosler that kinda fits the "one gun" bill for me. Fortunately I also have multiple rifles for different size game.
The one listed is not cheap and if you have that kind of money you have lots of options. I've had semi-custom rifles built for me for that price. That's what I would do.

I have a fully custom .264 WM, built by Kevin Weaver, that I’m selling at that same price. IMO the .264 would do what ever you would need it to do but for another $700-ish you could have another barrel spun up for it in a 300 WM or similar and have a swap out barrel. Rifle only weighs 5.5 lbs without the scope so around 7 lbs with a scope.

For just a little more you could have a custom which would have a much better chance of shooting good unless you are stuck on an ultralight but they are hard to shoot accurately at distance. Then you can pick whatever caliber you want...belted magnums are old school but still appeal to some.

If I called it a Creedmoor magnum it would sell instantly.
Sad but possibly true!

I do love everything 6.5 from the Grendel, Creedmoor, 6.5x280AI to the 26N. There's nothing wrong with the 264 WM but I have not had one for many years now. All 6.5's are great....except for the fact that they're not elk "calibers" ....to me.

I personally prefer bigger 28 calibers and up for the big tan stinky beasts.

Just my 2 cents,
Zeke

Is it not a better choice? Cost runs about the same. If you handload RUM brass might be easier to get. Factory availability is a toss up. You have any suggestions? mtmuley
I believe I suggested the 300 WBY ??
Kidding aside. I’ve spent considerable time shooting most of the big .308 cartridges. For all practical purposes there isn’t enough difference between any of them to amount to a lot. At this stage in my shooting life, the way a rifle fits and handles has become far more important than what’s stamped on the barrel. When you break them down into “families” you start to realize they are a lot more alike than they are different from a performance standpoint anyways. The small nuances such as belted vs beltless, twist rates and barrel lengths notwithstanding. It’s all a matter of what the shooter is willing to tolerate.

Kidding aside. I’ve spent considerable time shooting most of the big .308 cartridges. For all practical purposes there isn’t enough difference between any of them to amount to a lot. At this stage in my shooting life, the way a rifle fits and handles has become far more important than what’s stamped on the barrel. When you break them down into “families” you start to realize they are a lot more alike than they are different from a performance standpoint anyways. The small nuances such as belted vs beltless, twist rates and barrel lengths notwithstanding. It’s all a matter of what the shooter is willing to tolerate.
I'm too far invested to change now. mtmuley

If I was looking at a new rifle, it would be a ruger american predator go wild in 7mm prc. And with the money I saved I would buy some more Kool Aid, I like Grape !!! When you shoot better than your buddies custom, just tell him it was a fluke! lol ce61

I have a 300 Wby and love it. I would look for the Weatherbt Ultra light weight if you can less expensive, not manufactured any longer.

If I was looking at a new rifle, it would be a ruger american predator go wild in 7mm prc. And with the money I saved I would buy some more Kool Aid, I like Grape !!! When you shoot better than your buddies custom, just tell him it was a fluke! lol ce61
That's some funny sh@t right there.

Totally agree with this and with that said I would go 300wm if you handload and 300prc if you don’t. Ammo selection and cost are much better than Weatherby.

I’m a big fan of the 300 Weatherby. I’ve had a couple and they’ve stacked a lot of carcasses. If you want to shoot really long range (Past 750), I’d probably lean towards the 300 PRC, as I think that’s the future of cartridge design.

I'm looking to get a gun that I can use for pretty much every big game animal I may choose to hunt in the future. I'm leaning towards this gun in a 300 wby mag. Anyone have this gun/cartridge? What do you like or not like about it?

I don't think you can go wrong with buying a Weatherby. Great rifles, right out of the box.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom