New Guy

Extrapale

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-07 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]Hey guys, I'm new here. Been lurking a while and decided I would start posting. I'm from the west side. I like to hunt deer and elk on both sides of the state, and other states also. Depending on tags.
Last year I had 2 tags. High Cascade in Oregon, and general season in Montana.
I had just got off crutches from knee surgery in time for the High Cascade hunt. The day we (my dad and I) were able to start hunting it turned out to be cloudy with intermittent snow and rain. I had located some bucks in the summer (prior to knee surgery) including a whopper mule deer. There were also some decent blacktails hanging around the area.
We knew with the weather that glassing would be a waste of time, so, we decided to still hunt the area where the bucks had been. After a short time I spotted a doe bedded on the edge of our visibility. She already had us pegged, but didn't seem to concerned. I kept scanning into the fog with my Binos for other deer, and had just about decided she was alone. About then a buck and another deer got up out of the brush and took off across the hill. The buck looked like a decent blacktail, and I made the split second decision to shoot. I followed him through the trees in my scope until he hit an opening and I was able to take him. We rushed up to him and discovered a young 5x5 mulie. I was happy to have the buck due to my physical condition, but was also a little regretful to take a buck that obviously had some pretty good genetics at such a young age. I figure him to be a 2.5 year old. We cut him up and boned out the ribcage and headed out. 4 miles to the pickup with the hind quarters and head really broke down some scar tissue in the knee. We went back two days later to look for the big buck for my dad or brother, but couldn't locate him. Here's the picture.
46bcf6c2321e2535.jpg

I 'll post the montana story another time.

Back
Top Bottom