Total Knee Replacement

Elk_Nuts

Going to have a total knee replacement on my Left Knee in about 8 weeks. Hoping I will be able to Elk Hunt come November. What kind of recovery time and experiences from any of you that have had this procedure do you have to share?
Thank you.

I had one late in September. Pain and lack of flexibility was too much for late October hunt.

April would seem feasible, assuming PT goes well for you.

Had one too and I’d say 5-6 months. If you are going on a horseback hunt you might be able to pull it off but if you are planning on hiking a lot not sure it will be a good idea. Be religious on your PT and icing. Maybe you will get lucky.

Had one in on march 9 couple years back. Made 42 bear trees that summer
I’d go to your therapist 6 weeks prior to your surgery and start doing everything he’s going to have you do for recovery in advance . I did not do this but my recovery would have been far easier . I missed 2-3 days of work, didn’t use much pain relievers after the first week except when I went to therapy then I’d take a couple so I could actually gain a few degrees of bend each session
If I remember correctly they wanted me to get to 40 degree of bend and I made it to 30 degrees
It’s all about how much you want to recover
I was 59 when I had it done

I have both my knees replaced in the last 3 years And went Elk hunting in late oct. First one was in mid April and was able to do a short 3 mile backpack deer hunt in mid sept. Second one was in January and I was able to shoe my horse 3 months later. You can do it keep up on pt it will hurt but hunting in Nov should not be a problem. Age plays a part as does your physical shape. Had my first one done when I was 65 and I was in decent shape

I have both my knees replaced in the last 3 years And went Elk hunting in late oct. First one was in mid April and was able to do a short 3 mile backpack deer hunt in mid sept. Second one was in January and I was able to shoe my horse 3 months later. You can do it keep up on pt it will hurt but hunting in Nov should not be a problem. Age plays a part as does your physical shape. Had my first one done when I was 65 and I was in decent shape
I just turned 57. They said they normally want to wait until you're 65. But my knee is so bad and has zero cartilage left the joint is wearing the bone away top and bottom.

I was told in 2003 by USN docs that I needed my knee replaced. I retired in 2007, waited a couple years until it got worse, then couldn't figure out why my then ortho doc didn't see what the USN doc saw.

Until I realized that because it hurt so bad, I was shifting my weight onto the good knee because of the pain on standing on the bad knee. As a result there was no bone to bone contact visible on the xrays of the bad knee.

In 2017 I finally had my knee replaced. 14 years of some pretty interesting pain.

Today marks my 2 week after total knee replacement surgery.

I know you are 8 weeks out from surgery. I would take care of all dental issues ASAP. Also get your pre-op done as soon as possible. I had a couple of issues, broke a tooth that had to be extracted and then found out I am in A-fib.

I have been to physical therapy 5 times already. Yes, PT sucks!!
Good Luck! I hope all goes well!

I hope you heal well, and get to enjoy a good hunt Elk Nuts. You are young for knee replacement, but if you need it there isn't an alternative.
Stay on top of the PT, but don't push things too fast.

I just turned 57. They said they normally want to wait until you're 65. But my knee is so bad and has zero cartilage left the joint is wearing the bone away top and bottom.
I should have did mine sooner. I was limping so bad and slowing down after our elk hunt 3 years ago that when We got home my brother called and set up an appointment with the doctor to get my knee checked out. They were both bone on bone. Dr said pick either one when you are ready.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom