New Hunter Advice

T

tcepica

I just purchased an Savage 111 .270. I need to sight it in and pick the ammo I will be using for a Mule Deer doe hunt in Colorado. Any suggestions on the best factory load. 130-140-150. Premium load or not? Thanks so much for your advice.

You've got a good accurate rifle. 130 and 140 grain are plenty for deer in that caliber. Your gun will shoot some ammo better than others, but there isn't any need for you to spend the money at this point on premium ammo. Buy some different brands and spend a lot of time at the range and you're good to go. Best of luck to you.

There's a reason momma made you eat your vegetables! It works for mule deer too, just ask me how!

I wonder how many sites the OP has posted this exact question on. I just got off another site and this is an exact C/P from that one. Incidentally, he also received the same advice there as he did here by stillhunterman!

Yes Topgun. I did post on one other forum. I am new and did not know the best place to turn to get advice. My apologies if I have broken any rules. It was unintentional. Just hoping to get some guidance.

It's all good tcp welcome to the forum. U already got the best advice.....Every gun likes a certain brand of ammo. Only way to find out is shoot a bunch of em! Good luck this fall! What part of colorado?

It's a father son hunt with High Country Ministries. We will be hunting just east of CO Springs. The gun is for my son. I am trying to get it set up and sighted in for him. I started reading all the opinions of what might be best and only got more confused the further I went. I appreciate the insight because I have no experience to go from.

Yer on the right track. I gotta b honest I like remington core lockts. They're cheap, the bullet does what a bullet needs to do, and I haven't owned a gun that doesn't shoot em well. I'd start there. Have u sighted a rifle/scope b4?

I have not sighted in a scope before. Been researching that as well. I would accept any advice you have there as well. I just knew I needed to decide on the right ammo first and that's where I got stuck.

Easiest thing to do is at home b4 the trip to the range if the gun hasn't been bore sighted, is set it up on some clothing or pillows with the bolt removed. Look thru the barrel and pick out a spot (electrical outlet works for me) then adjust the scope so it's an inch above the spot u see thru the barrel. This will save u time and ammo at the range. At the range start at 50yds, if u can't hit paper (sure u will as you've bore sighted it at home) move the target to 25yds. If u do hit paper adjust to 1/2 in high at 50yds, then move to 100 and sight in at 1 in high. This should be effective now to 300 yds, it will b a few inches low but u will b able to hold right on out to 300

>Yes Topgun. I did post
>on one other forum.
>I am new and did
>not know the best
>place to turn to get
>advice. My apologies if
>I have broken any rules.
> It was unintentional.
>Just hoping to get some
>guidance.

New guy welcome to the forum,and don't let popgun ruin you're first experience seeking info. on M.M.,he's pretty much sticks his beak into everybodys business, and will basically set you on the staight path!! Good luck with you're with you're son.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]>I have not sighted in a
>scope before. Been researching
>that as well. I
>would accept any advice you
>have there as well.
>I just knew I needed
>to decide on the right
>ammo first and that's where
>I got stuck.

The reason I said that is because so many times a guy will make a first post on a site asking a question and then you never hear from them again. Stick around here and the other site where you got good information. Now as to your scope question, I'll add a couple more comments to those of DW. If it isn't mounted yet, you will want to make sure and torque your scope bases properly and then lay the scope on the rings for your boy to look through as you slide the scope back and forth to get him a good sight picture and eye relief so he doesn't get "scopeye" from recoil when he shoots it. The easiest way to start out sighting it in is like DW stated by bore sighting it using one of the gizmos made for that or take the bolt out and with the gun in a solid cradle you can look down the bore and get it on the bullseye. Then without moving it you can adjust the reticle onto the bullseye. That will get you close when you shoot. I like to do that at 25 yards and then shot a group to see where the impact is and dial the scope elevation and windage turrets accordingly to bring the impact into the bull. You will probably want a 200 yard zero if you expect the boy to have any long shots, so then move the reticle up so the gun will shoot groups high (2 1/2" or so)at 100 yards and then it will drop down to point of impact(POI) at 200 yards or so. That way he can hold right on the vitals from close on out to at least 300 yards. Make sure he has shooting sticks, a tripod, a pack, or something to have a good steady rest during the hunt. Good luck and ask further questions, if needed, and also make sure and share the results of the hunt with us! Father/Son hunts can't be beat!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]>>Yes Topgun. I did post
>>on one other forum.
>>I am new and did
>>not know the best
>>place to turn to get
>>advice. My apologies if
>>I have broken any rules.
>> It was unintentional.
>>Just hoping to get some
>>guidance.
>
>
>New guy welcome to the forum,and
>don't let popgun ruin you're
>first experience seeking info. on
>M.M.,he's pretty much sticks his
>beak into everybodys business, and
>will basically set you on
>the staight path!! Good
>luck with you're with you're
>son.

And you can never seem to help anyone out, but can sure stick your beak in with negative comments!!! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, LOL! PS: With your lack of proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, and hiccups, you need to go back to first grade, quit drinking, or maybe both!!!

Well... I hope when its all said and done, I prove to be a good member of the forum. As far as the scope, it came mounted on the gun. Its a Nikon 3-9X40 with BDC reticule. I asked the salesperson at Cabellas if the gun had already been bore sighted, he said, "I'm sure it has". It wasn't a real convincing answer. As I said earlier, I knew I needed to decide on ammo before I got to sighting in the gun. I've never hunted mule deer and the people I asked at the store suggested a 150 bullet. The next person I asked said 130. I thought I would split the difference at 140 but found that load to be twice as expensive. Confusion set in and so I thought I would go to the experts on the forum. I really do appreciate all the help and I will certainly take it to heart.

We've been to the practice range a few times with guns we borrowed. Anything from a 25.06 to a 30.06. He's done quite well.

We are not from Colorado but we get there as often as we can. :) I live in the flat lands of west Texas.

If the scope came on the gun and has that BDC reticle, you'll want to shoot a few times at 25 yards to make sure it's close. Then move back to 100 yards and shoot groups to zero it. Read the information on how the BDC reticle is used at various distances and then shoot out further than 100 to see where the bullets hit using the scope the way it's designed for those distances.

My daughter has the same scope on here 270. She has enjoyed it. We have been using Barnes Vortex ammo 130 grain Ttsx It's a good quality bullet for any other hunts he may go on. Enjoy the doe hunt and welcome to the forum.

>Well... I hope when its all
>said and done, I prove
>to be a good member
>of the forum. As
>far as the scope, it
>came mounted on the gun.
> Its a Nikon 3-9X40
>with BDC reticule. I
>asked the salesperson at Cabellas
>if the gun had already
>been bore sighted, he said,
>"I'm sure it has".
>It wasn't a real convincing
>answer. As I said
>earlier, I knew I needed
>to decide on ammo before
>I got to sighting in
>the gun. I've never
>hunted mule deer and the
>people I asked at the
>store suggested a 150 bullet.
> The next person I
>asked said 130. I
>thought I would split the
>difference at 140 but found
>that load to be twice
>as expensive. Confusion set
>in and so I thought
>I would go to the
>experts on the forum.
>I really do appreciate all
>the help and I will
>certainly take it to heart.
>

Bore sighting:like I said it's easy to check on yer living room floor b4 the range. I've seen guys show up at the range set a target at 100yds then blow thru a box of ammo without hittin paper. Start close work yer way out. If u go on Nikons website u can punch in scope/ammo/caliber combos and it will give u rough #'s (if zeroed at 100, or 200) where that combo will hit in the other circles.....good starting point then range verify.

Just don't let it overwhelm you. If guys like us can do it, anyone can. You get stuck pop back in. Lotta folks here willin to share what they know!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]Just because the scope is already on the gun doesn't mean you are good to go as far as it is concerned. Make sure anything that should be tight is tight. However, you can overtighten the rings and crush the tube of the scope if you apply to much force. You will notice that there is always some space left on the rings (the bottom and top ring should not be touching).

And as mentioned, you want to be sure the scope is mounted right for your son. Too far back and he will get hit with it during recoil. Too far forward and he won't be able to see well when he holds the gun comfortably. Get him to close his eyes and grip the gun in a "comfortable" shooting position. Now have him open his eyes and see if he can see clearly the full scope view without moving his head much. If not, the scope may be mounted too far forward.

As stated, you want to start at 25 yards first. Get the bullet hitting the bullseye dead center. With that you will be pretty good to jump to 100 yards. I sight my gun in at 1.5-2 inches high at 100 yards. That way I don't have to think about it to 250 yards, just aim and shoot. A novice shooter probably shouldn't shoot further than that on his first hunting trip. The country you will be hunting will probably allow for shots much further than that, but I wouldn't stretch it much because you want a good experience, and wounding game is not good for a first time hunter.

And lastly, I too like Remington Core-lok ammo in 130 grain. It should do the job on mule deer. It is also realatively easy to find and not that expensive, so I would at least use that for practice. That said, in my 270 when I take it mule deer hunting, I use Hornady 140 grain interlock ammo

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>Yer on the right track. I
>gotta b honest I like
>remington core lockts. They're cheap,
>the bullet does what a
>bullet needs to do, and
>I haven't owned a gun
>that doesn't shoot em well.
>I'd start there. Have
>u sighted a rifle/scope b4?
>

I used to shoot the core lokts until i had 2 misfires in a row while shooting at an elk. Ill never use those pieces of junk again. I hate remington. Now i shoot hornady. Excellent ammunition.

>Yer on the right track. I
>gotta b honest I like
>remington core lockts. They're cheap,
>the bullet does what a
>bullet needs to do, and
>I haven't owned a gun
>that doesn't shoot em well.
>I'd start there. Have
>u sighted a rifle/scope b4?
>

Ussd to shoot the core lokts. Had 2 misfires in a row while shooting at an elk. Remington is garbage and i will never buy them again. Now i shoot hornady. Excellent ammunition

>>Yer on the right track. I
>>gotta b honest I like
>>remington core lockts. They're cheap,
>>the bullet does what a
>>bullet needs to do, and
>>I haven't owned a gun
>>that doesn't shoot em well.
>>I'd start there. Have
>>u sighted a rifle/scope b4?
>>
>
>
>Ussd to shoot the core lokts.
>Had 2 misfires in a
>row while shooting at an
>elk. Remington is garbage and
>i will never buy them
>again. Now i shoot hornady.
>Excellent ammunition

The only misfires I've ever witnessed were out of defective guns. My goose huntin buddies shoot benellis. They're forever Flippin me shells with dented primers. I shuck em in the 870 and kill geese out from under em!

As I re-read your post I realized that you will be hunting does. The 130 gr core-loks would be what I would use for does.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

One more for 130gr Rem Core-Loks. They shoot good and all three of my daughters have taken deer and elk with them.

By the way, we are box #7 and no mis-fires.

If you are shooting at a public gun range the Range master can and will help you, so will other shooters on the range.
Good luck and I would shoot the cheap ammo( Walmart special 150 gr) Most doe hunt are close range affairs.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom