New hunter looking for private land in NM

Norman13

Hey Everybody! I'm a brand new bow hunter (I've done small game all my life) and I've never tried for a deer or an elk. Two weeks ago I received my NM hunting/fishing license and it comes with a free deer hunt each year but it's only for private land.

I'd like to get one jan1-15 if possible so I need some land quite soon as I believe I have to have at least two weeks between purchasing the tag and the actual hunt.

I'm located in Elephant Butte and I don't know anyone with land let alone land with deer. I've looked at the onX app or w/e it's called for private lands near me and there are a bunch but I have no idea how to contact the people. Do I send a letter to their tax address or should I try to show up in person? It all seems quite overwhelming.
I can travel so I'm not restricted to this area.

I'm not looking for a trophy, just some food. If anyone out there could give me pointers it would be much appreciated. If anyone has/knows of some land that might grant me permission that would be appreciated as well. I don't know the customs that come with hunting someone else's land so I'd need to learn that as well. I imagine I'll need pay someone or do some work for them. I dunno for sure.

thanks a bunch,
Norman

Not many land owners will let a complete stranger access/hunt there property anymore. You could do try an advertisement ? Best advice I have is find a mentor and start out scouting the public.

Norman13,

Welcome to the obsession! Private land access to hunt is tough.

With that said your best bet is to put some miles on the truck driving around the areas you intend to hunt and look for deer from the road. Pick some high spots and glass. Once you find ground that holds deer use your OnX to find out who the landowner is. If the ranch house isn't obvious try googling the landowner's name and get an address. If it is dress nice, no camo, be respectful and knock on the door and explain to them what you're looking for. Ask if you can hunt and tell them when you're looking to hunt. If you can't find their house and they are from another area call them. If you are a veteran it never hurts to drop that too.

You probably won't have luck on the large ranches as they are probably leasing their ground to an outfitter or outfit themselves. The smaller pieces are more likely to not be leased and you may just get lucky.

You'll probably mostly get no's but if they say no be sure to thank them for their time and then ask them if they know any landowners that may allow access. Just remember the WORST they can say is "no". You won't know until you ask.

Good luck. Hopefully you find a place.

Hey buddy, I find that the old fashion way is the best way in this case. Just drive up and be neighborly , let them know you’re looking to hunt in January and it’s either a yes or no answer. I always start with “ What would you charge me to hunt here”?
Good luck

Hey buddy, I find that the old fashion way is the best way in this case. Just drive up and be neighborly , let them know you’re looking to hunt in January and it’s either a yes or no answer. I always start with “ What would you charge me to hunt here”?
Good luck
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards it. One thing that I'm hung up on is I don't want to end up paying more than the meat is worth to hunt an area. It's something I need to get over, I know. The experience is what really matters for sure.

This question has a very long answer, too much for a thread. But let me say this, this is a long game not a quick one. You will get No from everyone more then likely but don’t stop asking. Some will say no and ask you to leave and/or end the conversation. Other may talk with you for a moment even after saying no, these are your targets. You need the goal of getting permission a few years down the road. These loan owners need to get to know you that’s the key. Offer to post they’re property or inspect and fix fence lines etc.. if they ask tell them you love the outdoors and hiking and don’t mind walking they’re fence line one day etc.. as someone else said. Ask them if they have a neighbor that may need some help, your goal is to have long conversations. Offer your # Incase of a change in they’re stance. If you offer help, you must follow through even without a promise

Think long term

This question has a very long answer, too much for a thread. But let me say this, this is a long game not a quick one. You will get No from everyone more then likely but don’t stop asking. Some will say no and ask you to leave and/or end the conversation. Other may talk with you for a moment even after saying no, these are your targets. You need the goal of getting permission a few years down the road. These loan owners need to get to know you that’s the key. Offer to post they’re property or inspect and fix fence lines etc.. if they ask tell them you love the outdoors and hiking and don’t mind walking they’re fence line one day etc.. as someone else said. Ask them if they have a neighbor that may need some help, your goal is to have long conversations. Offer your # Incase of a change in they’re stance. If you offer help, you must follow through even without a promise

Think long term
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to get to do any hunting until next year so I'll just try to build a relationship or two until then.

Side question. Does anyone know if I'm allowed two deer a year in NM? One public and one private? I can't find a real answer online. I see some dudes on YouTube talking about "3 bucks in 3 days!" And it's the same dude taking all three deer himself.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards it. One thing that I'm hung up on is I don't want to end up paying more than the meat is worth to hunt an area. It's something I need to get over, I know. The experience is what really matters for sure.
What is the meat worth in your opinion? You have some pretty solid advice so far from the other MM guys. One great point made earlier, is that this should be a long term plan. Get to know them, and I'd guess that you could be hunting their property for no cost, or a bottle of wine. Good luck and thank you for your service.

What is the meat worth in your opinion? You have some pretty solid advice so far from the other MM guys. One great point made earlier, is that this should be a long term plan. Get to know them, and I'd guess that you could be hunting their property for no cost, or a bottle of wine. Good luck and thank you for your service.
Thanks

Featured Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzz. and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

H & A Outfitters

Specializing in Trophy Bulls, Bucks, Rams, Bears, Lions & Others. Full Service and DIY Hunt Application Service

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

Why Advertise Here?

* Lots of traffic, your ad will be seen!
* 30+ day ads for only $50.00!
* FREE for MonsterMuleys.com Advertisers
* Reach hunters around the world!
* Highly targeted, effective advertising!
* Submit $50.00 Payment ... CLICK HERE
Back
Top Bottom