New hunter needs advice Cody area (Region F)

crookedteeth

I am hunting out West for the first time. Been hunting deer out East for just a year or so. I got 4 tags for this fall. 2 in Wyoming (mule deer, antelope), one in Montana (doe mule deer) and one in Arizona (Coues deer). So I'm excited for my three week trip out West for all these hunts. Happy for any advice. Below is a description of my plan as of today.

The Wyoming mule deer is for Region F and the antelope for Unit 81. Both were second choices and coincidentally they overlap spatially and in time so I can hunt both species at the same time. The overlap units are where 111, 112 and 113 (all in F) converge around Buffalo Bill Reservoir. Hunt will take place Oct 20 to Nov 3 or so.

So these mountains just to the east of the reservoir are called Sheep Mountains (East and West, alt. range 5500 to 7500 ft. or so) and they straddle the North and South Forks of the Shoshone Rivers. These extend south west to the higher altitude (12,000 ft.) Wapiti Ridge. Across the valley to the south is Carter Mountain. Most of this is public land once you get away from valley flats and in both hunt zones. So I figured this would be a great area to hunt for a few weeks.

I also learned that this hunt is considered migratory hunt for mule deer. I located some scientific data on migration routes and the Upper Shone herd marches through these areas to the winter ground. In fact, I believe they are basically the terminal point of winter grounds. Summer grounds are around Yellowstone Lake I believe.

So if I have all this right I should be able to intercept these migrating mule deer as long as the timing is right. That's the part I am most uncertain about. And I realize it is weather dependent. Does anyone have any idea about timing these migrations for this area. If I'm not mistaken, I think they usually migrate in late October which is during my hunt. Migration paths show them traveling in foothill at roughly 7000 ft.

That's basically the extent of my plan for mule deer at the moment. Will be learning as much as I can over the next few month before the hunt. Would be happy for any advice.

I figure I'll try for antelope first since apparently they are easier. I figure they probably stay at lower altitude closer to the valley floor. There is also a big area on the valley floor Southwest of Cody which is "walk in hunting" and a few smaller spots of public land at low altitude.

So with all these options, I figure I probably have a decent chance of a good hunt. If anyone knowledgeable notices anything suspect about the plan, or has advice, please let me know. If I get lucky early and tag out, I have this doe mule deer tag in Montana. I figure I'll probably make the drive up there for a couple of days, regardless (652, Fort Peck). Then fly to Phoenix on Nov 3 for my Arizona hunt with my son. Will also bring my fly rod out and do some fishing if I have some extra time. Can't imagine this not being a great trip as long as I don't get eaten by a griz.

Thanks in advance for any help.

That’s no joke! They will be busy when you are there.
85451BD6-FF6B-4AAB-A441-A8A7F93DD38A.jpeg

First off your antelope tag is going to be amazing. If ya want details then PM me. Was in unit 81 with a mule deer hunter last year and I drooled over the nice antelope we saw.

Second I assume you're a non resident. So no wilderness access for you. That deer hunt requires a hard hitting snow to push the deer down. Some local deer but nothing to brag about. I live near the area and never hunt that low for deer. The muleys can be on the move anywhere from late October to December. It's all weather permitting. Generally I notice mid to late November

That’s no joke! They will be busy when you are there.

I hear that a lot about the bears. I don't know whether people seriously mean that you shouldn't hunt those areas under any circumstance or rather than you just need to know what you're doing.

I assume you want to stay out of the thickly forested areas where they can surprise you and where you might surprise some cubs. So I was going to try to stick to the open areas or at least go no further than the edges into the forest.

I suppose bears will be trying to get to the deer same as me so might be hard to avoid them. I will of course be carrying a rifle and also a chest holstered Glock 20 as a last resort. Maybe bear spray as well. But I'd rather focus on avoiding a confrontation to begin with since my grizzly fighting skills are, let's say, untested ;)

I don't think I'll camp overnight in bear areas. And maybe it's all bear area. Probably going to stay in a hotel and take day trips in. And I guess I need to be careful if/when field dressing game.

Anything else I need to know about avoiding bears or at least avoid getting killed by them?

I would contact @mightyhunter as he lives nearby. He might be busy as he’s building the new WYGFD building. Spoiler alert: the project is getting expensive.

Good luck on your busy fall!

I hear that a lot about the bears. I don't know whether people seriously mean that you shouldn't hunt those areas under any circumstance or rather than you just need to know what you're doing.

I assume you want to stay out of the thickly forested areas where they can surprise you and where you might surprise some cubs. So I was going to try to stick to the open areas or at least go no further than the edges into the forest.

I suppose bears will be trying to get to the deer same as me so might be hard to avoid them. I will of course be carrying a rifle and also a chest holstered Glock 20 as a last resort. Maybe bear spray as well. But I'd rather focus on avoiding a confrontation to begin with since my grizzly fighting skills are, let's say, untested ;)

I don't think I'll camp overnight in bear areas. And maybe it's all bear area. Probably going to stay in a hotel and take day trips in. And I guess I need to be careful if/when field dressing game.

Anything else I need to know about avoiding bears or at least avoid getting killed by them?
I hear that you should keep cheatgrass in your back, right pocket to keep the grizzlies away. Right @jims ??

As they say on Kodiak the best way to avoid bear trouble is don't kill a deer.

I've hunted around bear on Kodiak and in WY , MT quite a bit and never really had a serious problem , just never forget they're there. I wouldn't camp out in that area myself, and I'd be extremely careful if I did kill something. taking care of an animal by yourself isn't something I'd be comfortable with either unless you can get it out in the open.

On Kodiak we never pack a deer we drag it, if a bear comes you want to get the hell away from the deer. I wouldn't trust the more domesticated bear around Cody wouldn't still chew on you .

Have fun but be careful, in your case bearanoia might be justified. pick your hunt routes with bear in mind.

Just keep an eye out for elk carcasses. General elk wraps up in that oct. Time frame and cow elk hunters will be out next. If ya harvest a deer try to keep in the open so you can see for a distance. A gun shot is pretty much a bear call. One of those deals you just don't know. I have had bears get to a kill site before I do and times with zero issues. Sheep mountain is very open with rolling rolls and pockets of timber. Head more west you run into burnt timber from a fire few years ago and watch for the private land sections. Sheep mountain is more of final resting place for migration. But some nice bucks always hang on private in the north and south fork side. I am sure the pressure down low could push some up.

For the antelope tag you're going to have a blast. Lots of lazy hunters. I can't judge them well but so many people won't shoot a nice solid buck unless he is literally next to the road. Watched it so many times last year.

I assume he meant second choices as their first choice was not feasible due to lack of points…

First off your antelope tag is going to be amazing. If ya want details then PM me. Was in unit 81 with a mule deer hunter last year and I drooled over the nice antelope we saw.

Second I assume you're a non resident. So no wilderness access for you. That deer hunt requires a hard hitting snow to push the deer down. Some local deer but nothing to brag about. I live near the area and never hunt that low for deer. The muleys can be on the move anywhere from late October to December. It's all weather permitting. Generally I

You drew an 81 antelope tag as second choice??
Yeah. That seemed a bit odd as it was kinda a long shot second choice. Had no points. GoHunt said I had 19% chance. First choice was #69. I guess 19% for first choice. Second choice indeed said 0%. I guess I somehow lucked out.

On the other hand, I didn't get my Region R first choice mule tag which was supposedly 100%. It's like God wants me to hunt in bear territory. Maybe he is calling me home.

Last edited:
This story is getting stranger and stranger, also gohunt should be fired if they told you that you had a 19% chance of drawing unit 69 in the random

ya'all been hosed. "crookedteeth" is actually Chan Baccam, a Laotian from Wisconsin who trolls the hunting boards.

See Chow (FU in Laotian), Chan!

Looked up my application. You guys are right. I guess I applied for them in the wrong order than I intended. This was first choice special draw. 69 was second choice. Sorry for the confusion. So I guess I just got lucky.

Gohunt has it at 19% for < 4 points and then it jumps to 88% at 4 and 100% at 5.

Wyoming website shows 27 first choice applications in the special random draw with a quota of 5. So 5/27 = 18.52% or roughly 19%. So aren't those GoHunt odds correct?

That was last year. Just found the draw odds for this year quota of 5, 53 first choice, so that's 9.4%.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Looked up my application. You guys are right. I guess I applied for them in the wrong order than I intended. This was first choice special draw. 69 was second choice. Sorry for the confusion. So I guess I just got lucky.

Gohunt has it at 19% for < 4 points and then it jumps to 88% at 4 and 100% at 5.
We know.

Wyoming website shows 27 first choice applications in the special random draw with a quota of 5. So 5/27 = 18.52% or roughly 19%. So aren't those GoHunt odds correct?

That was last year. Just found the draw odds for this year quota of 5, 53 first choice, so that's 9.4%.

Am I missing something?
While I enjoy a good troll now and then, just give it up, Chan!

I don't mean to de rail this thread about the mysterious circumstances as how you drew your antelope tag, and if you by chance drew a 124-1 elk tag as a left over, but I think you've got a pretty good plan as far as your deer tag. I've hunted there for many years, and have always thought about checking out that sheep mountain range between the n.fork and s.fork. I personally hadn't found a good jumping off (up) spot to get up there. I think maybe your best bet is at the reservoir. I think its all private off the roads from the state park west into the wapiti valley, all the way to the NF. Anyway, good luck.

Why bother with Elk when you have my luck? Just going to go for mountain goats now. My great grandfather was the seventh son of a seventh son and the Irish believed these people had good luck and magical powers. He did in fact survive an encounter with three bears when he fell into their den. He only survived by shooting them quickly with his rifle. He had just switched his single-shot shotgun for his brother’s lever action rifle because both were having bad luck hunting deer. It is said that sick people and people with wounds would come to him and he would rub his spit on their suffering body parts. That was considered modern medicine in the Canadian backwoods in the 1800s.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom