New Mexcio Big Game Slam

5yearcoueshunter

Hey all,
I thought I'd start a new topic just for fun. Who else out there would like to get all Big Game Species of NM like me? I'm not a big trophy hunter, but I love to get new species. To me it would be quite an accomplishment to get all NM species. Here is my list.

Acheived:
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
Oryx
Barbary Sheep
Javelina
Merriam's Turkey

Still Need to Get:
Eastern/Texas Whitetail Deer
Ibex
Desert Bighorn (YEAH RIGHT!)
Rocky Mountain Bighorn (POSSIBLE- Been putting in for Ewe hunt 3rd choice)
Rio Grande Turkey
Gould's Turkey (Don't know if they will ever have tags)
Wild Boar/Pig
Bear (Not really a predator hunter but would to finish Slam)
Cougar (Not really a predator hunter but would to finish Slam)

I would also like to get all small game speicies but that's too many to list. haha Definitely curious to see others lists. :)

Travis

it would be nice to get all the big game species. i still got a long way to go till i get them all. so far i got.

Desert Muley
Rocky Mountain Muley
Elk
Barbary Sheep
Merriams Turkey
Antelope

well I've got some mule deer, some elk, some antelope, some oryx, and some barbarys. I think i have all the species of rabbits and coyotes. Lets see I've shot almost all the birds. I think I may still need one of those pink scissor tails to complete my protected nm bird slam. I've shot all the lizzards including the endangered ones. I've got horny toads, regular toads, most nm snakes, and bears. Lets see, all I have left to do is get my ibex and bighorn sheep.

Achieved:
Desert Mule Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
Oryx
Barbary Sheep
Merriam's Turkey
Bear
Mountain Lion
Feral Pig

Still Need to Get:
Eastern/Texas Whitetail Deer
Ibex
Javelina
Desert Bighorn
Rocky Mountain Bighorn
Rio Grande Turkey
Gould's Turkey
Wild Boar/Pig

My dad is the closest person that I know of. He only has two left. Desert Bighorn and Gould's turkey

Hey 5yearscoushunter,

They are hard to come by, but NM has offered Goulds tags for the last couple of years. G&F allows 2 gobblers to be harvested on an annual basis. 1 of the tags is auctioned of through the NWTF. The first year it was done e-bay style on the NWTF's website and last year they sold it at the National Convention in Nashvilee. The other tag is raffled off. All chapters of the NWTF here in NM sell raffle tickets and 1 is drawn. Not sure if those tickets are sold at the National Convention or not. We should have some tickets here in Silver City by the end of the week, and if you have an NWTF chapter where you are they should have them too.
All money raised by the auction and raffle goes back into habitat improvement in the boot heel where the Goulds reside.
Sure the raffle is a long shot, and the auction can get pricey, but there is a slight chance to harvest a Goulds in NM.

Jeff

Didn't know there were 3 kinds of thunder chickens in NM.

I killed a couple of the ones that live around my house, so I assume there are a couple others that I would need.

Got these

Rocky Mountain Mule Deer
Desert Mule Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
Oryx
Barbary Sheep
Javelina
some kind of Turkey
Wild Pig
Bear
Cougar

Still Need

Coues Whitetail Deer
Whitetail Deer
Ibex
Desert Bighorn
Rocky Mountain Bighorn

Good lists so far guys!

NMhunter4life, your Dad is about as close as it gets I would say. That's amazing!

Jeff,
Thanks for the raffle info. I'll have to start doing that. For some reason I only thought there was an auction tag.

Paul,
Almost all the mountains in NM with some kind of pine tree has the Merriam's species. I'm assuming that's what you've gotten. However I have heard there are some Rio Grande's on the low creek bottoms on the east side of the Sacramento's. The only other places I know for Rio Grande's is in the Rio Grande Valley where they transplanted them and also in the NE corner around Tucumcarri. Gould's are only in the Bootheel.

Travis

Travis is right Paul. 95% of NM holds the Merriam. I think there are some Rio's down in the Hondo Valley, but I am not positive. I also think some Rio's have spilled over into NM from TX along the Pecos River bottom as well as in the NE as Travis stated. The Gould is a beautiful bird, very similar to the Merriams, just usually a little larger in size. I have spent some time down there in the Spring doing counts for the NWTF and G&F biologist. Their numbers are decent and they are fun to call in and photograph!

jeff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom