New Mexico bound

Blackie6

I’m a fan of the progressive hunts where you get to follow along, so I decided I’ll try and contribute.
I have a big bull muzzeloader tag. Leaving from Utah county, making the drive with brother and dad, and two good friends meeting us out there. Between the 5 of us, hopefully we can find a good bull.
I’m shooting a CVA optima, 84 grains by weight Blackhorn 209, and a Parker 300grain ballistic extreme.
My hunt opens Saturday, so we will be scouting for a few days. I’ll try and keep this update as I can for those who may want to follow along. Good luck to everyone this weekend on the upcoming hunts.
273BCF18-0AE2-45E6-B978-889DE6C82BC0.jpeg

We drove half way the first night and got a hotel in Monticello. Woke up and made the last 5 or so hour drive the next morning. Have put some miles on the 4 wheelers and boots searching for glassing areas and any fresh sign of elk. We have yet to see an elk or really any fresh sign. This unit tough to glass, and they have had a ton of moisture, spreading the elk out. We will have to get creative on this one.
We will keep after it. Opening morning is tomorrow.
162806F9-BC18-4795-8F9D-3C1B1646DF3C.jpeg
6C5A5D56-9831-4110-B215-5B99246693B8.jpeg

It’s been a grind on this hunt. Most of the unit is not glassable and The moisture that This unit has received this year has the elk pushed deep and not on there normal patterns. We’ve also had high winds non stop the entire hunt, and woke up today to a blizzard that is just starting to break.
With all that said though, we’ve seen 9 bulls. The biggest being about a 310” and the next biggest being a smaller 5 point. We will keep after it, but one of those 5 points may be in trouble if they step out again.

@Blackie6 Glad you are finding some elk. Have you seen any cows? What's the temperatures down there? How's the phone service where you are camped/hunting?

I decided not to hunt the last day, as I had to head out of town for work and wanted to see the kids before I left. We hunted hard and was able to find elk each day, but just not the big bulls. Hunting late October bulls in that unit sure humbled us, but it was fun. Battled rough weather for 3 of the 4 days we actually hunted. Mornings were about 20degrees. The guys with t mobile had service everywhere. Verizon was spotty.

Now if anyone has a good Wyoming elk hunt for about 10 points, let me know ? I’d love a redemption shot on a big bull!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom