New Mexico Draw ??

muzzhunter

I was reading through the New Mexico web site, and the way I am understanding it, is that they take all three hunt choices before moving on to the next application. Is that how it works or do they take everyones first choice then go through them all again and go for second choice and so on? Does that question even make sense?

That is how I understand it. They select an application and go down through each of your choices until one is available or you run out of choices, then they move to the next application. Hopefully, you are choosen early in the draw.

You are reading and understanding correctly. It is the only "true" lottery drawing left. If your application is drawn , it's just a matter of your hunt choices being available.The system is spooled twice , first to decide at which order the apps will be batched i.e. , every first ,second or third app etc , then the second spool is to grab the order.You have the same chance of drawing for example, if I put in for 1 quality elk unit and you put in all 3 choices for quality, it is just a matter of being drawn in the system and again , just hope your hunt code is not full.....I have said it before and will say it again, NM Big Game draw is the best run draw in the Western US for one's possibilty to draw a tag year in and year out, period....No pint system and hopefully it will stay this way....

HuntnNut:

I agree. I am sitting on a pile of points in multiple states, for everything you can think of, but I still like the NM system.

NM does this and maintains some good quality also.

Good job guys.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

if you got in on the first and no later than 2nd year of points in a state, you would like the point system. If like me you are down a few years from max, the carrot dangles but the reality is you are going to be decades in time and thousands of dollars invested before you get drawn.
The bonus point system in UT does offer a margin of hope in that they have the "bonus point" system. Looking at last years draw, sever with less than max drew some good hunts.

I really do like the NM system but I'm a non res and do the LO tag. Not an option for a lot of people.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a good fair system, and I like the fact that you have a chance to draw every year unlike the other states. I would agree on the points thing, there need to some states that don't have a points system. Even if you have max points you'll probably only draw once in your lifetime. I also have never hunted New Mexico, but would love to. Any suggestions on good units for deer, elk or antelope. Might as well try for them all. I am from Utah, so I'd be willing to share any knowlege I have of Utah with you, though I am definitly not an expert or even close.
Thanks,
Dave
P.S. P.M. me if you'd rather.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom