New Mexico Elk Guides

MrKrabs

I am planning on beginning a yearly ritual of applying for a New Mexico Bull tag and being disappointed when I'm not drawn :). I really don't have the money or a wife with enough tolerance for me to lay down $8-10k for a private land hunt, but I can swing a guided "once in a lifetime" hunt on public land.

So anyway I've started researching guides and would like some feedback from any of you on which guides I might want to look at. I'm also interested in any feedback on the areas I might want to focus on. I know Gila is very popular and has alot of big bulls for example, but the chances of drawing a tag are probably not good.

I'll also be buying lottery chances for Valles Caldera just because I like to give all the money I can to any government entity.

Thanks

Ben

So do you want a guide in an area that produces big bulls that are tough to draw, or a unit where you could draw it more frequently and go a few times in the next 5-10 years? The Gila and Caldera might take anywhere from 1-10+ years to draw.

>So do you want a guide
>in an area that produces
>big bulls that are tough
>to draw, or a unit
>where you could draw it
>more frequently and go a
>few times in the next
>5-10 years? The Gila
>and Caldera might take anywhere
>from 1-10+ years to draw.
>

Good point I should have clarified that. I want an area that produces big bulls that are tough to draw.

I have a friend that owns a house in CO very close to vast amounts of public land. It's also in an easy to draw area so I'll be hunting there the years I don't draw a NM tag.

Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry to inform you that the deadline for public draw applications and the lottery for V.C. have both past. If you wanted to hunt N.M. this hunt year (08-09) you will be buying a landowner tag.
Maybe you're planning ahead for next fall (09-10)?

Yes I'm planning for 2009 already. Since I plan on using a guide I wanted to spend as much time as possible researching.

A LO voucher and tag will run you 4K for a DIY hunt.
A guide/camp will run you 3500 without the voucher or tag.

If you really want to hunt I would go the LO route. No guarantees you will ever draw a tag.

>A LO voucher and tag will
>run you 4K for a
>DIY hunt.
>A guide/camp will run you 3500
>without the voucher or tag.
>
>
>If you really want to hunt
>I would go the LO
>route. No guarantees you will
>ever draw a tag.

Can you give me any information on how to go about finding LO's to buy LO tags from? I did a quick search on google and find places like Pearson Ranch, but I'm not sure how to find the best place from a reputable landowner. In other words I don't want to spend 4k to find out the LO has 3 cow elk and 45 hunters.

Their will be some for sale on the Huntin Fool website through their service as well as on this site there are usually a few posted for sale. I would highly advise to stay away from Dan who posts tags for sale on this site. There are past threads about this guy and I have some personal experience with him as well. You can also do a search and look up the Albuquerque local news. In there, you'll find a classifieds section and there will be locals selling them - that's where I found mine last year. You won't find many, if any, right now. Landowners don't know right now what tags and how many their going to have. Right after the draw - I'd be hot and heavy looking for a tag if you want to go to NM. The longer you wait, the more they cost.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-08 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]LO tags are either ranch only or unit wide. You want a unit wide tag so you can hunt anywhere in a chosen unit.
Go back to the main conferences page and in the upper right will be a "featured outfitter" box. I buy my NM LO tag from Dan Herrera at Trophy Chasers.
The SCR tags have been allocated for this year and you can call the landowner now to reserve a tag.

NM papers to look at:
http://classifieds.abqjournal.com/
http://classifieds.abqtrib.com/

I have a friend that has a giant ranch in a great area. His tags are ranch only but for a ranch that size its perfect because you dont have any competition. I know he has a couple tags available. PM me and I will give you his contact info.

His ranch is in a county that has produced some of the biggest bulls in the state of NM

DL

dan-henderson_wanderlei-silva.gif

Krabs, Jim (JFWRC) has several options that were not discussed in the replys. I use him every year and recommend him highly.
Do give him a call.

>Krabs, Jim (JFWRC) has several options
>that were not discussed in
>the replys. I use him
>every year and recommend him
>highly.
>Do give him a call.

Thanks alot I plan on doing that.

I have been using Jim (JFWRC)and have been very happy.

You cant go wrong going through him.

Don

Another that you might consider would be Tom Klumker. He lives in Glenwood, New Mexico and outfits/guides in 16B, the Gila Wilderness. They take a lot of very nice bulls, and Tom is a down to earth, straight forward man. His outfitting business is San Franciso River Outfitters and website is http://www.huntinginnewmexico.com/

While I haven't hunted through Jim at JFWRC, I've heard good things about him as well.

I won't say that I had the best hunt I've ever had with Klumker, but I did kill the biggest bull of my life with him. It scored 386, so I was pretty pleased with Klumkers operation. There was nothing wrong with the hunt I did with him. I'm sorry that your hunt didn't work out. I've been on some bad ones myself.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom