New Mexico Guided elk Draw

Yes my son and i entered in the guided pool. The outfitter thinks the odds will be better because of all the out of state outfitters eliminated by SB 196. I have serious doubts though. Time will tell.

>Yes my son and i entered
>in the guided pool.
>The outfitter thinks the odds
>will be better because of
>all the out of state
>outfitters eliminated by SB 196.
> I have serious doubts
>though. Time will tell.

I'm in as well and i agree with your outfitter's prediction about the odds.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-12 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]Historically outfitter odds are better than residents. Probably a few exceptions. This is the first year residents are able to apply with outfitters.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-12 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-12
>AT 08:58?PM (MST)

>
>Historically outfitter odds are better than
>residents. Probably a few exceptions.
>This is the first year
>residents are able to apply
>with outfitters.

More than a few exceptions. In fact, most of the real premium hunts have better resident draw odds than guided draw odds (at least on a historical basis). Not sure that we'll see a bunch of residents jumping into the guided pool. At least i hope not. If i was a resident, i wouldn't give up odds for the premium hunts only to have better odds on the less than premium hunts. Either way, it will be interesting to see how things shake out with the new rules.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I don't see how residents are going to affect the "nr resident guide pool". Unless New Mexico just has one "guide pool" and residents can throw their name in that pool. However, aren't the draw odds worse if you were to do that as a resident?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-12 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]As of this year, residents can apply under the guide pool and there is only one guide pool.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom