New Mexico unit 4 (elk) unit 28 (deer

R

Rammu

Anyone have any info on these units? I drew these units and really have no idea what they have in them. Any info would be great..

well you had to draw a sargent tag or a humphries tag they dont have any other tags for that unit. so i dont think you should have a hard time finding elk. i have never been to that unit but seems like it would be a good one.

What is a "Sargent Tag", or "humphries tag"? Ive been told that unit 28 is a good deer tag but I need to get down there and see i guess.

THE SARGENT AND HUMPHRIES ARE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS THEY ARE THE ONLY PUBLIC PLACES TO HUNT IN UNIT FOUR THEY ARE DRAW ONLY AND ARE HIGH QUALITY HUNTS OTHER THAN THOSE UNIT FOUR IS ALL PRIVATE AND THERES NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE DRAWN UNLESS IT WAS FOR ONE OF THOSE STATE WILDLIFE AREAS

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-07 AT 11:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-07 AT 11:04?PM (MST)

What is your hunt code? ELk-1-??? No offense, how is it I see all these guys posting "I drew unit such and such, what the hell is unit such and such?" You guys using the dartboard method? (just hackin on ya.)But seriously, you drew both elk and deer for hunts with 15 or less tags per hunt? Mortgage the house and go to Vegas. I'm seriously curious as to the chain of events that led you to put in for (and draw) those particular hunts.

If you drew the seargent, you drew one of the most selective and premier elk tag that NM has to offer. Humphries/Chama is nice, but a ruffer hunt. Bring horses for either, Seargent WMA is a walk in only hunt maybe the Humphries too, I guess you could bicycle.

GMU28 is the McGregor range, kind of an extention of the missle range- It's military, make sure when and where you'll be allowed to scout before you wast all that gas. You'll probably need to get badged- if you don't receive any info on the hoops you'll need to jump through, I'd start looking into it. Some really nice desert mulies to be had.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NM Operation Game Thief 1-800-432-4263
?I want as game protectors men of courage, resolution, and hardihood, who can handle the rifle, ax, and paddle; who can camp out in summer or winter; who can go on snowshoes if necessary; who can go through the woods by day or night without regard to trails" Theodore Roosevelt-1899
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It is Deer 3-128 and elk is 1-139. It was just minutes from the deadline so I just put in for areas that according to my map showed some descent country. I just took a shot in the dark and put in and these are the tags I drew.. So with these codes what do you come up with as far as unit areas? Ya I am just trying to decide if it is anything I should be excited about. Im not real thrilled about all the military Shitz on the deer unit..

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-07 AT 02:13AM (MST)[p]Your deer hunt is in Unit 26. UNfortunatly you'll not have to worry about the militaryShitz Not that 26 is necessarily bad, but McGregor would have been awesome. I don't know much about deer hunting in 26, it's down by Lordsburg, it's definately a desert hunt. The Hatchet mountains are down there, desert bighorns, Javalina, the occasional Gila Monster. I can't really help you there. call the Las Cruces Office of the Game and Fish 505-522-2100 and ask for the number for the Lordsburg Game Warden

(don't tell them I sent you, I'm on this forum on my own time with my personally owned computer and internet service, but it would be assumed otherwise and someone might want to try and chew my butt- so save me the headache)

Your elk hunt is indeed the Seargent WMA, and it's the first hunt Oct6-10. If you can't get excited about that tag, sell your rifle and take up golfing. It's a Q(uality) HD (high demand) hunt , and I'm pretty sure it's a Once-in-a-lifetime draw. The area is not exactly huge, but there are only 10 hunters and you'll have first crack. There is no camping in the WMA, and no vehicles allowed except for the Game Warden. It's small enough a guy could walk in every day, and pack your elk out in pieces, but most guys that draw bring or rent horses and I'd suggest that unless you're in fantastic shape. You'll effectively be hunting a state owned elk ranch, and the surrounding ranches get 8-10K for a similar tag. I've been there in October and have watched the sun go down to a gap-less symphony of bugles from every direction. I can't tell you much beyond that. Call the Albuquerque office of the game and fish 505-222-4700 and ask for the number to the Chama Warden.

This is a public post for a reason, and I'm going to hijack it a little bit. Wardens get a metric F&^%-ton of calls from hunters.Be patient- but respectfully persistent. My district is about 1,200 square miles, with all the poachers, and yogi-bears, and cattle killing lions, and fishing derbys, and habitat meetings, and boat patrols, and firearm training, and bighorn transplants, and hunter-ed classes, and lost hunters, and deer-stuck-in-the-fence, and survey flights, and don't even get me started; It may take a week to get your message, (Maybe) another for it to get a red mark on the "phone-machine triage" and (maybe) even another week to have a day to sit down and call back Jim-Bob from Arkansas to chat about if he should camp in the gap or on the mesa and hear about his new four-wheeler (Jimmy- if you're out there, I love-ya-man, you can call me any time)

In general, assume any honey hole recommendations have been passed on to more than a couple of folks. We like to send folks to the "main"/core/popular areas, for a thousand different reasons. You may not get the inside track on some secret canyon where the elk cross the fence every morning from the So-and-So Ranch (we've probably got enough troubles there from folks who already KNOW which side of the fence they're supposed to be on), but you'll usually get a good place to start.

When a Warden does you a good turn, and it strikes you as above and beyond, don't try to give him something, he can't take it and wouldn't anyway. I draw the line at a soda-pop and the occasional burrito. If you want to do him a favor, send a little note to his boss. It takes a lot of "Atta-boys" to make up for one "Awe-#####!" and we get those whether we deserve them or not.

Good luck, See you in the hills.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NM Operation Game Thief 1-800-432-4263
?I want as game protectors men of courage, resolution, and hardihood, who can handle the rifle, ax, and paddle; who can camp out in summer or winter; who can go on snowshoes if necessary; who can go through the woods by day or night without regard to trails" Theodore Roosevelt-1899
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks a ton for the info. As far as the Sargent area should I be looking for 350 class or what you think?

Oh there in there, you are just going to have to hunt 'em out. My son shot a small 6X before I could tell him to wait. And as we had just got done packing his out, we see someone bringing theirs out and I had to wait to see this one! He would have gone 340ish. Have a pic but I'm too ignorant to figr it out.

You drew a really fun hunt, congrats. The bulls will be screaming. 320 you better drop the hammer. You will have to wade through a ton of elk to find the few really big bulls in that area. A friend of mine has hunted that twice. Shot a 334 bull and a 326 7x7. He has video of like 80 something 6x6 bulls and only one was bigger than the one he shot. Saw one bull that would of have been close to 350 but was all broken. Hopefully with all the moisture this year they will put on some extra inches. This hunt is alot like Valle Vidal, and the Valles Caldera. Tons of elk, lots of fun, but you got to really search out the bigger bulls. Have fun, good luck, and enjoy watching the elk be elk. Also take horses if you have them, that will greatly increase the odds of shooting a upper class bull.

Timberline, You left out underpaid. I've had great responses from MN F&G. So I leave a voicemail since the biologist or warden is out in the field. Always got a call back and more knowledgeable than any other state I've dealt with, maybe a tie with Wyoming. Keep up the good work.

So i guess im not sure what the hell of the Elk tag. ITs one of those "need more info" things. The deer I have drawn and all is well with that. So I guess Im not sure what area I actually drew for elk. My first choice was the Sargent area so im assuming that would be the one. How often do you get drawn for the 2nd or 3rd choice? Ive been calling into the NM corporate number and keep having to leave a message so I can figure this out. Also I have not recieved my deer tag in the mail yet. When would I be getting that? Thanks for your info..

Ok so the elk is hunt 1-149 where is this at? It is a november hunt. Assuming its not the great "Sargent hunt"? the deer hunt is a muzzleloader hunt in unit 26 as you said..

This is awesome now that i am starting to find out what I really did draw. The elk tag is an antlerless elk tag. LMAO! Thats quite a change from the "SARGENT" to a good ole antlerless elk.. WOW!!I think I can get excited about the deer tag though..

You've drawn a awesome elk unit. There is only one way in and one way out and you will not have to worry about road hunters on trucks and 4 wheelers.You will not have trouble finding elk. Timberlinewarden , one of my HS buddies and a co worker of yours also drew this hunt...The Sargeant is a great unit....if you have horses...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-07 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]>This is awesome now that i
>am starting to find out
>what I really did draw.
>The elk tag is an
>antlerless elk tag. LMAO! Thats
>quite a change from the
>"SARGENT" to a good ole
>antlerless elk.. WOW!!I think I
>can get excited about the
>deer tag though..

Thats hilarious.

Good luck on that trophy cow tag of yours you !@#$$$.

Boy oh BOy you guys are rough and tough. Hey have either of you been PickleKEg lately?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom