New muzzleloader

huntFX4

So I just ordered a Traditions Vortek Strikefire muzzleloader. I've decided I want to try this slightly more challenging hunting.

My question to all you guys that have been at it for a while, what are your thoughts on the best black powder or substitute brand to use? Pellets or powder? I plan to use Sabots. Good idea or not? What are your opinions on the best one there?

I have read in different places that muzzleloaders are like rifles in that they shoot some stuff better than others.

Thanks in advance.

There's only one Powder!

BH209!

"This is the USA where people get Paid to Watch People that are
Watching You!"

> There's only one Powder!
>
>BH209!
>
>
>
>"This is the USA where people
>get Paid to Watch People
>that are
>Watching You!"
>
>

+1 on the BH209
I also put a peep sight on my muzzleloader which helped my accuracy improve greatly. There is also a lot of good info on the muzzy forum if you haven't checked it out already.

Good advice on powder. When I get serious about accuracy which living in a state where they allow a muzzleloader to be a modern weapon I am, I weigh each charge rather than going by a volume charge it makes a difference in 2 of my muzzles. . I have 12 charge tubes I just weigh the load I'm shooting before I go to the field. I'm sure you realize sabots aren't legal in all states Colorado for example doesn't allow them I believe. Good Luck it gives me a 30 day season in Ne.

Thanks all. Looks like I don't have to test different powders. Now just to figure out the accuracy of the sabot vs others. I know here in Utah the sabot is legal, but has to have a heavier weight.

Any thoughts on that would be helpful as well. I want to test out some different ideas to look for the best accuracy.

Blackhorn 209 is definitely the fastest, cleanest, most consistent and most expensive powder out there for muzzys.

I moved away from pelletized powder and gained a lot of accuracy with loose powder. Every gun shoots different,though, and trial and error is the best way I've found to get accurate. Don't just go with what someone tells you to shoot. Test out multiple bullets and powders and go with what works best for you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom