New muzzleloader

huntFX4

First posted in the General Forum without thinking.

So I just ordered a Traditions Vortek Strikefire muzzleloader. I've decided I want to try this slightly more challenging hunting.

My question to all you guys that have been at it for a while, what are your thoughts on the best black powder or substitute brand to use? Pellets or powder? I plan to use Sabots. Good idea or not? What are your opinions on the best one there?

I have read in different places that muzzleloaders are like rifles in that they shoot some stuff better than others.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your new inline muzzleloader.

Your best choice for a propellant would be powder and the best bps is Blackhorn 209. You do not need to swab between shots. It is best not too. You get very good accuracy with it. The 20 round down the barrel goes down as easy as the first. You do not use a water base product to clean the bore. Use Hoppes 9 or the one that is made specifically for & by Blackhorn. Blackhorn is not as corrosive as other bps or black powder. You do not get a crud ring with Blackhorn, which is a big help in accuracy. You can go to the range or hunting and shoot as much as you please, without cleaning until you get home.

I prefer bullets with sabots. They have a better bc, which means they shoot flatter and retain energy better down range. I shoot Barnes 250 TEZ's in my TC Encore and they shoot great. Yes, muzzleloaders shoot differently, especially between brands. Some 50 cal. brands have a .500 bore, while others will have .501, .502 & .503. The manufactures of muzzleloaders do not have a standard between companies. A good source for muzzleloader info is "North American Muzzleloader Hunting". I think the Vortek Strikefire has been one of the writer's favorite. You can find them with your computer search.

Enjoy the muzzleloading experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom