New Muzzy deer hunts

tagsoup

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-15 AT 10:08PM (MST)[p]I am curious about these new muzzy deer hunts. I know nothing about these units. Do any of you Utah guys think any of them will be worth drawing? I am sitting on 10 NR pts. And with pt creep I might never even catch up to either of the bookcliff units. So I am looking at trying to use them on one of these hunts. PM me if you want.
Thanks

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Personally no I wouldn't waste 1 point on these hunts. They are only a few days after the general rifle hunt... I still think the good bucks will be held up in hiding. I see the best rutting activity here about the 12th-22nd. That hunt ends on the 5th

At this point you're really in the dark. How many are going to hunt these units? Depending on the weather, depending on the unit, and the fact it does not start a week after the regular season, but only a few days, is a big factor. The unit I would like to hunt, the deer start to concentrate in a smaller area and if you are the only one on the mountain it would be nice.

I drew three years ago, have one point and I am the age to never see max. points again, but don't think I'll waste the point. If I knew how many permits for each unit it might be different.

If you are young hang in there, maybe they will change the method to stop the point creep.

I wouldn't waste 1 point let alone 10 until after this first year to see how it's actually going to be run, mainly permit numbers.

If you want to try one, I'd say wait til next year when the dates fall later. Also could be good in a unit with migration or a large number of CWMUs. I would not spend many points on the tag this year. Next year, with some research, it could be a good way to spend some points.....

I'll send you a pm.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-15 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]With 10NR points, I wouldn't be putting in for these hunts. That's too many years to wait for a hunt in a general season area.

These hunts are designed to draw people out of the true LE hunts. Guys looking at their points going, "I'm never going to be in the bonus tag pool, ever" would prefer to hunt a possible rut hunt in a general season area than do nothing...

I've suggested these exact hunts for several years. Though, I believe they need to be at least a week later to be a truly great hunt. And there are some general season units that have good enough bucks that migrate down for the rut to make it worth a few points.

If I were you, I'd be looking at the Vernon unit with the Muzzy. Last year, the bonus tag fell to someone with 7 NR points... I'm guessing the 2 guys who had 12 points must have turned the tag back in and I'd say they will maybe put in for the Book Cliffs or somewhere else instead now that they have 13 points each. That could leave you as the high point owner.

That's where I'd put your points if you are wanting to draw a tag this year...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

If you don't put in with 10 someone else will. Mark my words. People keep saying it's not even worth a few points. Well, what is? Should be a good hunt with little pressure from hunters. People will be burning points to go hunt these late hunts.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom