New pack advice?

T264

I have a Badlands Superday pack that is 7 years old and still in very nice condition. I would like something slightly larger, mainly due to the length of my spotter/tripod combo and wondered what might work as a replacement. The Badlands quality is very good but what else is out there?

T264

Just purchased the Kuiu icon 6000. Haven't packed meat in it yet (hopefully that will only be a couple days). But the straps are far more convertible then the bad lands. The pack is huge with lots of pockets. The thing i like most is all the straps so you can compress it and use it as a day pack. Super light weight. Just really happy with this pack....

You need to decide on a budget.
My first choice would be a Kifaru, then a Mystery Ranch.
If you do not want to spend that much, then.
Some Badlands, and Some Eberlestock are good.
There are also other very good options out there.

If you like the badlands, my son just got a new model from them that is larger than the superday and works really well for our large 80MM Kowa Spotting scope, and tripod on shorter trips. I am thinking of getting one myself, just because of the extra room.
If we are going on a long term camping/hunting trip then we go with our Mystery Ranch packs.

Anytime someone asks for a recommendation on a pack, I always chime in with Kifaru. I couldn't be happier with over 10 years experience with my pack. www.kifaru.net If they don't make it, you don't need it. I especially like the gunbearer system.

buy best built, most comfortable product you can afford!
I did a lot of research and bought the Mystery Ranch Alpha Wolf!
its perfect! and extremely comfortable with 120 lbs in it! as I am in my last 2 weeks of pack weight training and my other training pack I was using fell apart after 70 lbs and I won't say who made that "bad la.."!

I just went threw the same thing and a post a month ago. I really liked the Kuiu Icon. But they are on back order. So i need a pack now . So I found a small pack to get me by for now. A Badlands sacrfice just for carrying a sandwich and a water bottle ;-). I got a great deal on it and it will work for now. I plan on getting the icon but it maybe after the hunting season. Go to their web site and watch their videos. It was helpful for me.

+1 for the Horn Hunter Full Curl Pack. It can be adjusted to carry between 600 cubic inches all the way up to about 5000 cubic inches. The adjustable shelf is great for carrying your big heavy loads. Lots of straps and buckles to fit everything nice and tight. Check out rellyarcher's post on his Wasatch Bull he just took and see the Full Curl pack in action with his bull.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID12/14597.html

Anyway, if you do go with the Full Curl System, check us out. We have a pretty sweet deal on these packs. Thanks.

http://www.shop.bullmountainoutdoors.com/Horn-Hunter-Full-Curl-System-Pack-HH15.htm

www.bullmountainoutdoors.com
Daily Hunting Deals on Camo, Clothing, and Hunting Gear!

That looks like a great pack but maybe overkill for me. I rarely would be using it to pack meat out, just for all day gear, tripod, big spotter, food, drink, etc. Basically a little bit larger than the superday and if at all possible something that distributes weight a little better.

T264

Try shouldering into an Eberlestock X2 or X1E and see how they fit. X2 does not have a built in scabbard. Either is large enough to do a short back country hunt or just be used as a daypack.

Cant go wrong with the Kuiu.
Since my hunting has been put on hold for quite a while, i'm selling my Kuiu Icon 3000 pack and frame.
I swear once work is done i'm gonna be a hunting fool.

T264, I too have the superday pack and had the same problem with storage. I got the badlands sacrifice pack and it is about 6 - 8" longer than the superday and you should be able to fit most any tripod and scope inside of it. I really like both packs.

There's always next year

Eberlestock X2. Best pack out there for a day pack. Also, just used it to pack out an elk on Friday. Of course, my opinion. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-12 AT 07:50AM (MST)[p]

Brand new this year and made in america. Remedy 7 packs. The 'solution pack' is big, there is the 'Answer' that is a great pack too. might check them out..

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

Can the BL Sacrifice be used as a carry on on airlines? I have used the Superday as a carry on before and put my optics and cameras in it for safe keeping. Sacrifice too big?

Does anybody here use a Horn Hunter Mainbeam pack? It looks to be the right size (2800 cu")does not have a metal frame and could probably be used as a carry on on flights. Are they built well? says they have an individual spotter compartment???

T264

I have the Mainbeam and Full curl. The Mainbeam is a great pack and I use it a ton. It is big enough to haul all your essential gear including spotter and tripod, but small enough to not weigh you down. I have packed as much as one elk quarter on it and it performed very well. You can't go wrong with the Mainbeam.

}}-SLIVER-->

I now use a Kuiu Icon 3000 or 6000 depending on the need. The 3000 is a great day pack size, and still will hold more meat than I can carry. The 6000 is great for backpacking in a spike camp. I've packed two elk and a deer with the Kuiu this year already. Most comfortable pack I've ever owned. I used to use an Eberlestock, which I still like, but the Icon is much better.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom