New Resident

C

COBOHNTR

Hello all, I am new to the state of CO. "The Springs" area.. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on public land hunts? I have the reg book and got some great info but I thought some general areas from some veteran hunters would give me a good start for next season. Right now I only have a map for San Isabel Nat. Forest but according to the regulations this is a CWD unit? Does that mean no hunting or just a caution? Any areas around The Springs? I want to get into the mountains and start poking around just not sure where to start..

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
COBOHNTR

Welcome COBOHNTR
I'm from the Springs as well. There are some real trophies in the surronding units both for deer and elk, unfortuneatly almost all the best hunting is locked up thru outfitters on private lands. There is great fishing in the Pikes Peak region. To answer your question, you can hunt in units with CWD, just a caution. Pm me if you would like to chat some more, welcome again.

Don't have any info for you on the area you asked about, just wanted to say welcome to MM and congrats on the move to Colorado. You are in a beautiful area, albeit overcrowded.

Mark

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]I started the same process you are toward the end of last year. Tons of public land for you really...

Start here...http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/
Scroll down the page and keep your eye on the right side panel of the page. Under helpful links you'll find GMU unit maps (with option to display Nat Forest, etc.) and also have a gander at the western slope hunting guides. They include unit descriptions, population info, and historical harvest stats. A pretty good place to start. I haven't seen guides for the east half of the state. But the maps and those guides will get you a long way.

Also, CWD units just means you'll need to get your animal tested for the disease before you go eating it. You get a CWD testing tag with your hunt tag and just turn the head into CO DOW for testing.

My $0.02,
Brian

I am from the Springs area as well. There are some really good areas to hunt in with lots of public land starting at about a 2 to 3 hour drive from the springs. What animals and seasons are you interested in hunting? PM me if you like.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 09:20?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-08 AT 09:16?PM (MST)

Welcome to Colorado. This is the best state I have ever lived in. So much to do and so much hunting. Wish I had moved here 15 years ago.

We need our own special section for Southern Colorado hunters.

I just move to Castle Rock a year ago last February. My brother keeps dragging me up to Craig to hunt but we have to rent horses and with the price of gas it is just killing the budget. So I to am looking for places to start scouting down in the Southern half of the state. I like bow hunting elk mostly. So keep me in mind also when you pass some info around. Just looking for some places to start. I can usually find the elk if there are elk to be had.

Thanks in advance.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom