New Rifle

400bull

Very Active Member
I have had the itchen for a new rifle for about a year now, I finally got the approval from my better half last night to buy me a new rifle. I have been looking at getting a 30 cal. have been debating between the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. I have ruled out the 06 because I currently have a 270 and can't see that the 06 will give me any distinct advantages over the 270.

Right now I am leaning more to the 300 Win Mag over the 300 WSM simply because the 300 WSM does not offer any advantages over the time test 300 Win Mag. I am trying to be open minded about this purchase and could use some advise on witch one you would buy and why?

I could also use some good advice on witch brand of rifle you would buy. I do not like the looks or the fell of most synthetic stocks so that leaves me with ether a Laminated or a Wood stock. Up to now I have been looking at the Winchester Model 70 Spotter LT and the Browning A-Bolt Medallion.

Thanks for your input
400bull

I am in the same boat as you. I have been looking at the new 300 WSM and comparing the ballistics to the 300 win mag. From what I can tell there is not a big advantage to pay the extra for the 300 WSM, infact, the 150 grain is the only load that has a higher muzzle volocity and the ammo costs about 30% more than the regular 300 win mag. I have pretty much talked myself out of buying the 300 WSM and sticking with the old 300 win mag. As far as the rifle goes, I have been looking at the Winchester model 70 with the laminated stock and its pretty damn nice! Good luck, I think maybe our wifes should become friends!

my dad has the 7mm ultra mag and it sure is a sweet gun. only thing is theres not a lot of loads out there and the ammo is expensive, give it a look, its a good gun
casey

I WOULD DEFINANTLY TRY THE 300 ULTRA MAG.!!!

IF YOUR GONNA SHOOT,SHOOT BIG!!!

HAVEN'T YOU EVER WANTED TO SAY MY 300 IS BIGGER THAN YOURS???

MAKE SURE AND GET IT IN STAINLESS,GET THE BARRELL PORTED AND TOP IT OFF WITH A LEUPOLD SCOPE WITH THE YARDAGE DOTS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat SAYING:BIGGER IS DAMN SURE BETTER!!!

Just say..."300 ULTRA MAG"...you'll never go back to those other toy guns.

Go to www.lazzeroni.com and check out the "warbird" (.308 cal.) or the "firebird" (.284 cal.). If you want speed and knockdown one of them should suffice. I believe they're both chambered in the Sako for around $799. Steve

I just purchased a 300 Win Mag and really like it(so far). I am very impressed with the smooth action. I went with the Browning White gold Medallian. I am like you, I don't really like the synthetic and went with the stainless barrel and wood stock (not laminate).

I agree with bobcat in the fact that the Ultra has a little more than the win mag. However, I am not sure it is enough to convince me to pay $43.00 for a box of shells either.

I have also heard (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that the Ultra has much more kick to it.

Good luck on your purchase.

Jason

I too just bought a knew rifle. I bought a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless/synthetic stock in 270. Winchester. Now I just need to decide on which scope to purchase.

My dad shoots a Remington 300 Mag 700 ADL and it shoots like nothing else. I have a lighter Browning A-Bolt II 300 WSM that I got for graduation that I have got sighted in good but have not used in the field yet (hopefully for not to much longer.) I would recommend either to anyone. As fare as ballistics goes their is not that much of a difference, but I had to stray from the 300 Mag because I like to try new things. Both are toped with Leupold scopes. As fare a the Laz goes. I wish I had one. My dad had the 7.82 War bird that he one for $20 and then raffled off for 4-H. Man I wish I had enough money to buy one. We did not even shoot it once. He one it at an NRA banquet and I got John Laz's autograph, so that was cool.
Michael

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-03 AT 00:32AM (MST)[p]400bull,
You might think about a .338 Win Mag rather than a .300 caliber magnum. Your .270 will serve you well for deer, antelope, and sheep sized game. You would have a terrific two-gun battery by adding a .338 Win Mag for elk, moose, and bears. All the major manufacturers make rifles in the styles you indicated you prefer. You might also consider the Tikka line of rifles under the Baretta/Sako banner.
Good Luck with whichever you choose.
Jim

I have an Browning B.A.R. and A-Bolt, both in 300 Win. Mag. I love both of them. Great shooting, accurate rifles. The one thing that I don't like about my B.A.R. is that f-ing B.O.S.S. system on it! Sure it can help you tighten your groups a little, but the g-damn muzzle blast is deafening! I've shot several critters with it and each time it took me almost a week to get my hearing back. I took the damn thing off and had a friend machine a new one without the holes. It increased the recoil, but who cares?
Eric
fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

What will the 300's do that your 30.06 won't. NOTHING. Buy your wife some flowers and save your money. Do you really need a second gun, or do you just WANT one?

Hey polarbear,

I have the B.O.S.S. on my 300 winny too, and I can't take the noise anymore either. Do they still make the non-recoil reducing B.O.S.S. attachements? Also, how much harder does your gun kick now? Mine kicks less than my .270 with the B.O.S.S. break on it. I've actually never shot a 300 without a break. I've shot 30-06s and 7mags with out them. How would the 300 compare?

And to the originator of this post.

The original 300 Win has two advantages over the WSM. First, there are a lot more factory loads to choose from, though I think that will begin to change, as Federal is already loading for the 300 WSM. But as it stands, I think that the 150 grain loads available for the WSM are worthless. 3300 fps is too fast for a ballistic tip bullet to hold together? even on a deer. The other advantage that the 300 win has over the WSM is on bullets heavier than 180 grains, in case you wanted to use it on big bears. The short WSM case forces the longer 200 and 220 grain bullets to be seated too deeply, and it takes up space that should be filled with powder to get it up to 300 win velocities.

WH

My dads got a 300 wetherby mag, had it for 3 years and never shot it....
He's got a couple guns he's never shot.
I'd suggest the 300 win mag. It's a faster gun. Nearly as fast as the 25-06 but with a bit more knock down power. Definately the better choice.

-Cass

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-03 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the suggestions!! I will deffinatly look into some of them (338 Win Mag)to see what my options our. I have looked into the Ultra Mags some, but was quickly turned away from them because of the price for ammo samething with the Weatherby. I don't want to take out a second morgage on my house to support a hobby.

Jerry,

The reason I have ruled out the 30-06 is because I currently have a 270 (not a 30-06). I know that this is highly debated subject and I don't want to beat a dead horse to death with it. The 270 and the 30-06 are so closely identical that I feel I would have two of the same guns. There is no real reason why I am buying a new rifle. The 270 handles everything I hunt (deer and elk)just fine. It would be nice to have a littl bigger gun for that once in a life time hunt when I draw out for a Henry Mountain Bison permit.

Wallhanger:
I don't know if they make a solid replacement for the BOSS. I had mine custom made by a friend. As far as recoil, it kicks a little harder than a 7mm mag. Recoil has never bothered me but I do know guys that are afraid of the recoil on a 300 win mag and up. It makes them be lousy shots and they blame the gun for their inaccuracy.
Eric
fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

hey cass how come you know so goddam much about everything?
oh and how is that girl that skinny dips naked with you?

The 300 win mag is NOT faster than the WSM - check the ballistics. They're close, but the WSM has a slight edge. Also, the 300 Wby Mag IS faster than the Win Mag. In terms of advantages of the WSM: shorter/lighter action, and inherently more accurate than a long magnum because it burns the powder more consistently and efficiently.

Finally, none of the ones mentioned are as fast as the Lazzeroni's. I have the .308 Warbird in a Sako, and have shot it through a chronograph - average speed on a 180gr bullet was 3525 fps. It will shoot a 150gr bullet at 3750 fps, and a 130gr near 4000 fps.

400Bull

I bought the Browning A-bolt Medallion in .338 when I came to the same decision point. I, too, shoot the .270 at deer sized game. Went with the .338 to make a definate difference. I shoot factory ammo, so ammo availability and cost was also a consideration. After researching them all, I went with the .338 without the BOSS to avoid muzzle blast. Groups great and the recoil is manageable for hunting, but I wouldn't want to plink a hundred rounds a day through it. First time out at the range I sent 40 pills down the tube and that was enough. Got it sighted in and found a load that groups. Now I shoot about a dozen rounds each trip to the range just to stay confident and sharp.

Get a .338 and you'll leave the .270 behind on your elk trips.

Before you decide on which rifle= 30-06, 300 WIN MAG,300 WSM
review the WINCHESTER AMMO WEB SITE it gives stats on ammo also gives prices of ammo-

and you will see there is not much difference between the performance of the WSM vs WIN MAG [ except price ]

check Wally World for gun prices- they have a Winchester 300 Win Mag < $400 comes with scope-

need to look at ammo prices for each gun you consider there is a big difference-

whtailtaker

I recently purchased the winchester 7mm short mag and I have had excellent results. The grouping from this gun is excellent with Nosler bullistic tips 160 grain . (Reloaded)The weight of the gun is 7 lbs. One imature bull moose and one four point mule deer buck already taken from British Columbia. The only negitive feature is the riffle is so new, finding shells can be hard. I dont know what it is like in the States but in British Columbia only small gun shops carry the shells.

It depends on what type of hunting you do! If you are going for stones in the Yukon or a good old Yukon moose or a good bull elk in the West Kootneys then mabe that purchase is good!

If you can purchase a Leupold Vxiii 3.5x10x40 is an excellent purchase.

If you are going to step up you might as well take a full step and get the .338. If its long range shooting your after its hard to beat the 7mmSTW. I put a synthetic on my M70 and hated the way it looked compared to wood, but after use and abuse it has held up to punishment much better than wood. Rocks, brances, don't bother it a bit. By the way, don't settle for a cheap scope, even if it comes with the rifle. You can pick up a Leupold VX-II 3X9 for $200.00. Plus its guaranteed for life. Last Leupold I had checked they did in one day and overnighted it back so I could use it for the elk opener. If it needed fixing they would have sent me a loaner. That's service.

well are the mentioned are nice. and i think that all will serve there perpose. but the one gun that i love is the 30-378 weatherby mag. flat and fast.but ammo is abit costy. just my .02

I guide buff hunts in Az and you should keep looking for a better caliber,I have seen many Buffs take a 300 mag and not even slow down.If it has to be a 30 cal.Go for the warbird or 30-378 both have more speed and enegry the the 338 or 340 mags.And for that once in a lifetime long shot these can handle chore better.I have seen my clients take big game at 700 yards clean with these guns.No Bs with my rangefinder 714 yards one shot thru the shoulders of a big 6x6 bull elk in and out,case closed!!!!

I have a Weatherby in .300 win mag, a Winchester in .300 WSM, and a Remington in .300 Ultra mag. Ilike all 3 rifles a lot the ultr kicks a bit harder than the other two but not that bad if your used to shooting a 30-06. My choice of the 3 is the Ultra. I like the little extra performance it offers and of the 3 it has the best factory trigger. AS for scopes On the ultra i have a Nikon Titanium, on the 300WSM I have a Weaver Grand Slam and on the 300 Win Mag I have a leupold. The leupold is the best! IMO

Tim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom