new rifle?

outdoorsdude

So, been thinking I need a new rifle.

As I predominately hunt in the state I live in (NM), I feel the need for a more versatile rifle: elk , deer, audad, some day ibex and oryx (God willing I ever draw).

so, dare I ask your thoughts: caliber, brand, model, and why that one?

my favorite is the 300 win mag and that's my all arounder but i'm thinking my next rifle will the a 30-378 Weatherby

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]what are ya shootin now? chances are its adequate for almost everything you listed with the right bullet

but new guns are great fun! i fully agree with parecido on the 300 winny as a super all arounder...though i like light, so i'd go with the WSM to save action weight. the only drawback to the shorty over the LA is the inability to buy factory rounds with the heaviest .30 bullets, in the case that you should need to stop a full size truck for some reason ;)

in fact, i think i'm going to snag one of them FN model 70s in stainless/synthetic, replace that bell&carlson with a Wildcat Composites, and slap a vx3 2.5-8x on it with some talley lightweights...

all said, should come in about 6 3/4 lbs, and ready for pretty much anything in North America, in any conditions

anyway, have fun and good luck!

300 win mag is what I shoot mostly, but, if I was to do it again I may go to the ultra mag just to get the flatter trajectory.

I buy box ammo so I steer clear of the exotic calibers.

Agree most have a rifle sufficient to their needs. But... If you
just want a new rifle for medium to longer range hunting I'm partial to the 7mm Magnums and of course as had been said the .300 Magnums are great all-round calibers. And half the fun is working up new tailor-made loads for the new rifle.

Good Luck
Phantom Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 02:30?PM (MST)

I'm very impressed with the .300 WSM as an all around cartridge.

I do not reload either, so I also look for something I can find ammo for. Ammo for the .300 WSM has become nearly as easy to get as the .300 Win Mag and is very similarly priced. It slightly out performs it, with less recoil as well.

Brand wise, there are a lot of decent all around rifles that perform very well out of the box now...several "guarantee" 1"groups @ 100 yards. 2 that stand out as pretty nice to me are the Tikka T3 and the Browning X-bolt (both have detachable magazines instead of drop plates), but others to seriously consider are the Remington 700, Howa, and Savage. The Remington and Howa actions are probably offer the most options as far as accessories are concerned (the newer Remington 700's have an externally adjustable trigger).

I recently acquired a Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM, but I swapped the stock out for a Blackhawk Axiom. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I really like the adjustabilty of the length of pull (for different shooters, clothing, or shooting positions/situations) as well as the recoil reduction features of the stock. It also looks really cool.

Lastly, above all, I highly recommend you budget and consider higher end optics. There are more expensive options out there (and maybe even some comparable less expensive options), but I am partial to, and have had great luck with, Leupold. Both my big game rifle and my small bore rifle are topped with Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 long range scopes with the B&C reticle. This setup, dialed in, is good to 500 yards. If you want to shoot beyond that you should look into something like their CDS reticle system.

I like the way you think!

Here is some thing to consider if you are an adventurous hunter. Over the last few years it has been difficult to find ammo.

I have found that most stores care the following:
.243 Win
.270 Win
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Win
.308 Win
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Win Mag
.338 Win Mag

In a pitch or hunting in a remote area or another county you might be hard pressed to find anything more "exotic."

I have had really good luck with the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOAs.

Enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]I think everyone on this thread should start reloading! grin...

IMHO, in the day and age of unbelievable bullet selection, cartridge choice isn't near as important as it used to be.

If I was looking for an all arounder for New Mexico for everything up to bull elk, I'd build a rifle around a mid to large capacity .284" or .308" caliber, maybe a 7WSM or maybe a plain .30-06.

I'd get a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, stick a McMillan Edge or a Titanium take-off stock on it, top with Talley Lightweights and Leupold FXIII 6x42 LR Duplex and kill lots and lots of stuff.

I'd worry about fitting the rifle to myself and my intentions rather than worry a lot about the headstamp of the cartridge. Pick a good bullet for the purpose at hand and build/buy a rifle that fits.

Ya'll have a great week now...

I like the Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 win mag.This gun is very lite (about 7lbs with a scope)and does not have a bad kick, bullets are easy to find, and it shots good groups.I also have a remington 300 ultra and weatherby 30-378 that I like.There are a few of draw backs to the ultra and the 30-378.First they both weight about 10 pounds with a scope which on a long haul adds up.My ultra mag does not have a break on it and after 3 or 4 rounds, you will feel it.The 30-378 has a break and shoots great, pretty cool gun, but a box of shells is 120 bucks and the gun is around 1600.The plus is, with practice, you can shoot a long way with the ultra mag or the 30-378 and kill stuff.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]Tailgunner, you sure about the weight on that montana?

the rifle alone is just a couple ounces under 7 lbs from the factory

i do like the 84 montana in 7- or 308...that little thing can finish just over 6 lbs with light glass and rings

shoot, a rig like that would handle anything in new mexico with good shot placement using the right load within reasonable ranges

i've heard some bad stories here and there about kimber...but the half dozen or so i've experienced have been just fine

Save the money you want to put inot a rifle and scope combo and buy reloading equipment and find the right load/loads with your current rifle(if you have one). You would be amazed at how even the lowest end rifles will perform with had loads that are tuned to that gun.

If this is your first rifle then I would lean towards anything that is equivalent or larger to the .270. However, as stated above, build the rifle to fit you and your needs, not what other people tell you your needs are.

+1 NMhuntaholic, I have a vanguard 30-06 that I carry on all my rifle hunts. I have had the trigger weight reduced and load my own ammo. Best thing about it is the rifle is fairly cheap so you can afford great glass. With that said I was shooting 1 hole groups at 100 yards prior to my shoulder injury. Now Im leary of shooting anything with recoil. The rifle has taken an oryx several elk and deer. Cheap rifles that are accurate out of the box with good glass cant be beat.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 00:49AM (MST)[p]^that's really very true...hell, one rifle i've got is a ruger 77 mII in 7 rem mag

had my Wizard smith buddy up in Trinidad get that trigger nice and crispy at 2 lb 10 oz, then I put a zeiss 3.5-10x44 on, and ever since it happily shoots 1/4 inch 3 shot groups @ 100 with decent loads

last animal i killed with it was a big bodied mountain muley buck at 409 rangfinding yards, pretty steeply quartering away...1 shot slipped through the back ribs, done deal

i believe i paid $400 bucks or so for the gun (new) several years ago, and 40 bucks for the trigger work

but it is NOT light by any means :)

Wow, lots of response, gotta love the Nm forum!

The 'new rifle' thing has come about because in the past I have been heavy into archery. And yes, greatwestern and Phantom Hunter, I have killed plenty of animals with what I have. But a lever action round will only reach so far. There are situations where 3-400yds better be expected, even though I love lacing Elk at 20yds.

therefor,I see a bolt action is in my future!

30cal. in the 1906 standard is what I'm leaning to. It will give availability with unparalleled bullet choice in both weight and type.

But Manufacturer and model is where I start to hang up.
right now the short list reads: Tikka, Browning and Savage

accuracy is paramount but weight is a concern also. Of course while staying on a blue collar budget (got to buy good glass for it)

any further thoughts?

Love my Remington 700 in 300wsm.........My Every Game Rifle.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Don't overlook the Remington 700 or the Howa.

Like I said the newer Remington's come with a decent, externally adjustable trigger. The Remington 700 is also the platform most used on accurized rifles.

Check them all out, if you can, and your choice will come down to personal preferences and fit. The different triggers and safety setups might be what makes you favor one or the other.

As I previously stated, a feature I like is the detachable magazine setup on the Tikka and Browning.

Another thing to look into is the new recoil pads available like the Simms (Limbsaver). They really work surprisingly well...in fact some guns are now featuring these softer pads. A buddy of mine got the Tikka T3 and added a recoil pad and it definitely made a noticeable difference.

Tikka T3 in .270 WSM

Study as many ballistics charts as you can. The .270 WSM performs extremely well & my boy's & I have killed Deer, Elk, & Oryx with it & the results are extremely impressive.

I love my 7MM rem mag in a older winchester & also my 300 win mag, but the .270 WSM blows my mind with it's accuarcy, flat trajectory, & "killer" results on big game.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

Would not have said this a few years back, but SAVAGE. All day long straight out of the box a Savage will compete with any guns that are not custom built.What they have done recently with their rifles is remarkable.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]Yessir Fish...i've got a buddy who's pretty green with regards to hunting, and his shrew wife monitors every penny he spends even though he's the provider for the outfit

anyway, it was time for him to quit messing about, borrowing guns, and get his own dang rifle. i noticed a savage 110 synthetic (i believe its their lowest end model w/accutrigger?) in 30-06 for $350 bucks or so and he snagged it. i put a leupold rifleman 3-9x40 on it and bore sighted the thing for him, also slapped a pachmeyr Decelerator where that damn marshmallow pad used to be...while the Shrew was whining the whole time about the 'exorbitant cost', though they're not poor by any means

he printed a decent group at 100 with no adjustments (he IS a good shot), i slightly tuned his windage, cranked his elevation for 3" high at 100 and took him up to the ranch for a late cow

he killed his first elk with that humble setup at about 320 yards the next day...and the Shrew finally had nothing much to complain about :)

the gun is ugly as hell...but it is very functional and will serve him very well for many hunts to come. and shoot, the whole deal couldn't have been a whole lot over $550 bucks anyway

and yes Outdoor, it is indeed time for a bolt gun! ;)

and the venerable 06 is a choice that any sane person would find exceedingly difficult to argue against...

Happy Hunting!

Try them on and get one that fits you.

I went through about the same process that you are going through 4 years ago.

I did all the research and wanted to buy a Tikka T3 in stainless but the length of pull was just too short and I ended up with a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker.

I ended up with the 7mm Rem Mag more out of nostolgia from a gun my brother had in that caliber when I was a kid than anything else.

If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the .300 WSM, although my 7mm Rem Mag has done everything I've asked of it including putting 3 elk on the ground. As other have mentioned, bullet choice is probably more important than the casing that is pushing it though.

That's my 2 cents.

I have two Tikka T-3s: 7mm and 300WSM. The out-of-box accuracy and adjustable trigger are sweet. Would also highly recommend a Limbsaver--makes a noticeable difference. For my style of backpack hunting (which besides accuracy is a big reason I like the T-3 Lites), my guns tend to get bumped a lot in addition to the magnum recoil, and the factory-supplied rings did not hold up under the abuse. Consequently, I ended up swapping out the factory rings for some Warne steels and have not had any problems since. Both of these rifles are topped with Sightron Big Skys, and these set-ups have proven to me that they're more than capable of taking some abuse and still deliver.

The next rifle I buy will most likely also be a T-3, but I'm still working out in my mind which caliber...maybe a 22-250. It's mucho fun to think about... ;-)

Hmmm...I don't throw my .300WSM around alot, but now may be a good time to upgrade to Warne. You're right Mozey, the Simms Limbsaver recoil pad is a great upgrade and only 30 bucks or so? I also use a PAST strap on shoulder pad at the range and I don't even feel the recoil. I just wish my Model 70 .270 was that way. Darn thing has gotten meat on both ends for the 40-odd years I've had it. My son uses it without a recoil pad at all and loves it.

I've got a Steyr-Mannlicher Model S magnum in 7mm that he uses for elk hunting. Picked that up from a friend for $650 when I caught him in a bad time. Considering what they went for new ($2500 or so?), I feel bad sometimes but I gave him what he paid for it in Germany. Military Rod and Gun clubs overseas were awesome! It kills everything in front of it, but at 10+ lbs I don't want to tote it around the hills all day. All's well since he'll be inheriting them one day. I love the look of wood, but the T3 lite has grown on me. Now I need to "justify" getting another one some day in a different caliber LOL!

My buddy had to change out the rings on his Tikka T3 also.

I had similar issues with a front dovetail mount on my Remington...and I don't think the .300 WSM recoils that badly? The scope was moving forward, pulling the rear ring out of the clamp style base. I upgraded the rings to Leupold PRW setup with the 4-screw type rings (versus 2 screws), and the cross slot bases.

Haven't yet had any issues with my Remington .223 with the front dovetail, but I intend to ditch the dovetail mounts and get the same PRW rings and a 1-piece Picatinny base for it anyway.

A big Thank You! to all the help full input.

After looking at A LOT of rifles, I narrowed it down to three. And then it got really hard to decide! One thought I had late, was that I should buy American. So tried hard to like Savage, Remington and Ruger. But for various reasons only Rem. made the short list.

The other two that ended up on the short list were Browning X-bolt and Tikka light. In the end it really came down to those two. And it was really hard to decide!!

In the end I went with Tikka light stainless, put a Vortex scope on it; and after trying two different loads, I have a sub MOA rifle! ( at least when I do my part) Now if only I could buy some rifle shooting skill! Oh well, practice-

And yes, it works on game.
1212cow_elk_005.jpg

Almost switched to .270wsm after looking hard at ballistic charts; very flat and good terminal energy. But stayed with my first choice and went 30/06. Just a big proponent for 'larger' bullets(ie 180gr vs 140gr).

Used Barnes Vor-tx line; made in Arkansas, by sister company Remington. The 180 gr. ttsx.

The first shot on the cow was just in front of the on side scapula, she was a little quartering to. It punched trough the off side scapula and exited. I thought the bullet performed well, at 230+-yards. Dropped her like a rock. But I still walked up and put a second in to speed her demise.

hey, right on Outdoor!

looks like you got yourself a shooter, and you guys are already out there gettin er done!

Here's to many more happy and successful hunts together!

that is, until you get your next new Baby :)

Mr.Nate I didn't know you were outdoordude till I saw your mug.
Then I went back and read my pm Duh.

You made a great choice here's my Tikka with a goat from this year.Wanted a shot where I could test my rifle and set up.
Dropped this guy at 650.Also if you need a limbsaver,Mine is a vibration rubber off of a compessor I changed out.Does the same thing and save you 30 bucks.Let me know I will run you one by..

anthunt10002.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom