New Rules Poll

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
Well what do you guys think?
R and NR chime in.
Did the new rules (SB 196) help or hurt your draw success?
Me and my two kids got 3 Elk and 2 deer tags.Only thing we didn't draw was Antelope but we never get that anyway.
So it HELPED my family.The freezer should be full this year!

CC

Resident, This is the first time I have not drawn out for something and I put the same as usual. Maybe luck just ran out.

NM has been good to me. Resident now for 3 years ,I have always drawn a tag.Even as a non-res I drew.Luck I guess,but you have to know how to apply.Don't put all your eggs in HD units,IMHO.

I put in for units that would not be considered great units with a bow none the less. Same ones I have been drawing with the last seven years. Just not my year I guess.

Resident. Of the 14 years I have been applying, I have only failed to draw once. This includes multiple 6A tags and a couple 17 tags. But mostly I put in for a "tough" draw as my first choice and then some easy draws for my second and third. Whether the new rules helped me draw a Valles Caldera tag this year, who knows? But it didn't hurt.

NR. 6 of us applied for elk. 2 applied in 10% outfitter pool and were successful. 4 applied in the "HAIL MARY" 6% unguided pool and didnt draw.

SB196 DID NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! You simply finally got lucky and I'm happy for you.

Giving SB196 all the credit for your tags is like giving the spoon all the credit for making Rosi Odonnel fat.

There is a much better solution.

A guy that works out at PNM power plant drew - Deer, Oryx, Ibex, and DESERT BIGHORN!!!!!! Unbelievable!!

NR, this year will be my 12th consecutive deer hunt in New Mexico. I am going back to back antelope, finally got my Oryx tag. Last three years I had successful cow hunts. I can't complain.Though would like the cow hunts back for the NR

Resident, did well this year as well in the past. My co workers drew 16D and 23 rifle elk tags, antelope, and deer, so it may not have helped, but did not hurt either! 90-10 split, do away with the outfitter BS, LO tags only for ranches with significant acreage, and be done, my $.02. Good luck and congrats!

New Mexican, I say it helped a lot. There are 4 of us in the family and the result are Two Deer tags to 2B, two elk hunts in Unit 51, one in October (bull) and the Other in Dec with a muzzle loader which is ES. And finally a hunt that took my dad 8 years to draw an Antelope hunt in 50/52 with muzzle loader. SO thank you SB 196. Oh and I should mention that the two deer hunts were not on the first choices. Father was third choice picked and mine was second and the elk were second and third choices.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 10:01?PM (MST)

I can't say it helped me elk I drew my 3rd choice (1st bow in 51). Deer I drew my second choice. (2nd rifle unit 52). Don't get me wrong i am stoked. My daughter on the other hand call it luck or sb96 whatever butshe drew the youth bull hunt on the Valle Vidal!!! Yea baby....

Draw odds are not a feeling, they're a simple mathematical ratio.....tags issued vs apps received. The story will be revealed with that data is released.

play all the ratio and head games u want. The fact is a few thousand more residents got "boots in the field". Just need to get all NRs in one 16% pool for all NRs and then it will be perfect.

The odds of SB186 helping you as a resident are so small you can hardly measure them. The odds of SB186 hurting you as a Non Resident who uses a guide are a little larger and the odds of SB186 hurting you as an unguided non-resident are huge. As others have said, we won't know the real impact until they release the drawing odds.

Using incidental "me and my crew drew" or even, "I always have drawn in the past but didn't this year" to measure its benefit is idiotic as different people could make those same statements every single year.

I drew a bow tag in the guided pool and so did my resident hunting partner. However, we are both statistical anomalies.

It will be real interesting to see what the backlash effect is for years two and following.

Go to a straight 80/20 with no outfitter pool and then we call it good. However, even then people will argue both sides of the equation. Bottom line is we are all hunters and any law that gives tags to one group takes them from another. It is all a tag grab and in its current form the non-residents unable to get in the outfitter pool are the ones who got the short end this time.

As a Non-Res who applied without a guide, I didn't draw a deer tag. My third choice has had 100% odds in years past. As said above, it will be very interesting to see the odds when they are released.

NR here. I agree the Residents should get tags. My only regrets are I think if anything the guide pools & NR unguided should at least be even. My biggest regret is that NR can't put in for cow tags. The 80/20 or even 85/15 Res/NR wouldn't be bad.

Res..
Put in for everything but Long Beards every year.... Averaging an elk tag every 6 or 7 yrs. Nothing else.

son puts in for everything but long beards and averages 1 deer tag per 11 years.

New Mexico sux. Colorado, Alaska and Africa gets our money. Ya'll enjoy the lotto. Life's too short for the New Mexico Joke.

I am with those that have stated above. SB196 did not change any odds in a substantial manner.

I drew this season as a NR. I only applied for deer this season. This was my third season in a row to draw a deer tag. First time to ever draw my third choice.

I'm a NR Outfitter that Outfitted years before there was a Outfitter License or pool! I have paid my share of gross reveue taxes to the State of New Mexico through the years. SB 196 made it where I could not be in the Outfitter pool. I still supported the NM Fish and Game and sent in my $500.00 Outfitter License fee. This will be the second year not to Outfitt in NM. I found out the number of Active Outfitters for 2012 Outfitter Pool was about 50% less than 2011!!! About $70,000.00 loss reveue to Game and Fish! The listed showed not only NR Outfitters, Resident Outfitters were not in the 2012 Outfitter Pool that were in the 2011 Outfitter Pool! So some must have cut a big fat hog in the ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Resident...almsot got shut out. Drew deer but will be getting refunds on five other apps.

NR. Drew zippo for elk as expected and I'll check out the odds when they come out. Very likely not to donate my app. fee to NM again as I only put in for tough to draw units but with the annual lottery system and no points, I think I'll likely spend my $ elsewhere and help other NR's odds by 1!

LMAO.....Y'all kill me

So, my wife has yet to draw a cow tag in this state (even with the new regs. on that)! Yet I will be going to the Valle Vidal!

When they start pulling apps. your in the top of the stack or your in the bottom, period!

I don't know if the changed regs had anything to do with it or not, but I drew five tags this year: antelope, elk, deer, oryx, and barbary. If I ever manage to knock down a another good elk I'll probably retire from that business--too much work for an old guy like me. Leave those tags to you young punks with more energy than what's good for ya while I head up to Alaska and start working on moose and caribou...

Life is good.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom