New Rules: Use Nonres Deer or Elk tag to take a Wolf

BRUSHBEATER

Some good news out of Idaho

Date: July 12, 2010
(208) 334-3700

new game laws take effect

Several new laws took effect July 1 affecting the 2010 hunting seasons.

Nonresidents can now buy a three-day nonresident small game hunting license.

The license is valid for upland game birds, migratory game birds, cottontail rabbits, huntable furbearers and unprotected and predatory birds three consecutive days.

Some species also require tags or permits. The license is valid for hunting turkeys as long as a valid tag is purchased as well. The license is not valid for hunting pheasants during the first five days of the season. The license costs $33.75, plus an issuance fee of $1.75.

Two changes for the 2010 season affect holders of nonresident deer or elk tags.

A nonresident deer or elk tag may be used on a black bear or mountain lion or gray wolf during the deer or elk season when the black bear, mountain lion or gray wolf season is open.

The addition of gray wolf to the nonresident deer tag is new for 2010. This will be the first year a nonresident elk tag would be valid for tagging a black bear, mountain lion or gray wolf.

That some great news. IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Holy Shiet! Some one with power must have fallen down and knocked some sense into their head to come up with!

Very good news! I agree someone must have knocked some sense into them. Hopefully they will set a large quota for the wolf hunt this year too.

all in all i aggree with this. However, I think that there will be some unintened results.

We all know F&G is hurting for money. I don't see how this will help.

Most non residents hunting Idaho can afford "some" amount for an extra tag or two. Again, I do appreciate the Idea. I would rather have seen them lower the cost of the non resident wolf tag to that of the "second bear/lion" or reduced bear/lion tag what ever it is called. Most guys that are coming for a deer or elk would have gladly picked up an extra bear/lion/wolf tag if the price was "right". Say a 100 bucks for the three?

One other angle, what kind of "pressure" or incentive to do the wrong thing does this put on "billy" from oklahoma who traveled up here with three or four of his buddys. Spent a good chunk of $$ on the trip and he pops a 50 pound wolf on his elk tag opening day.. Cool at first for sure, but as the days go on and he "can not" hunt elk anymore and all his buds are doing well. Just saying, thought's of doing something dumb are going to enter his mind. I just hope F&G thought about some of this before doing it.
And no I am not bashing OK guys, so relax. Just thought I would throw somebody other than a Californian under the bus for once...

As a NR that regularly hunts in Idaho, I think this is a good idea. But I would've done it differently. I saw a wolf on my Controlled Deer hunt last year. I didn't have a tag because I'm not going to pay $183 on the rare chance I will see a wolf.

Also, if I draw a good tag this year I don't know if I would use it on a wolf, even given the chance; I would take a big deer or elk over a wolf as a trophy.

I wish Idaho would have reduced the price of wolf tags to a nominal fee ($10.00), maybe that price is only if you have already purchased a deer or elk tag. Then I would buy my deer/elk tag and still pay $10.00 for the odd chance I may see a wolf. If I don't see one, I'm only out $10.00. If I do see one, I can kill it legally and still keep my coveted controlled deer/elk tag. Plus IDFG just got an extra $10.00 out of me. If I kill a wolf, then IDFG is better off; if I don't kill a wolf, IDFG is still better off.

That is how I would've done it.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom