New safe

HuntinFoo

I think I am going to get a new gun safe, and the place said they would deliver it and drop off outside for free, and if I want them to bring it in the house and put it where I want it it would cost an extra $100 Is That normal, would you think it is reasonable for them to do that. It sounds like a rip off to me for an extra 10 mins for them to bring it inside. But on the other hand I dont have a dolly that would do it and if I did I would have to have a few people to help me, what do you think.

...of course that is reasonable. Not much risk dumping it on your driveway. The minute they step foot in your house and ruin your wife's flooring and knock over your ming dynasty vase ...their liability insurance is your wife's target.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Im with JB on this one.

Actually, I paid more than that to get mine in my basement. I wouldn't have tried it myself. Mine is 850 lbs..enough to do damage and/or kill me. Maybe you wouldn't go downstairs like I did but why risk it for a lousy c-note? Pay the men.

Congrats n the new safe!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

$100 is cheap.....try to move it inside yourself without damaging your house and you will see why..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I just put one in my house today. 800 lbs to move down stairs and to tell you the truth it really wasn't that bad. I had one other guy helping me. First thing....take the door off the hinges, on the Browning safe I got, it just lifts off. That will cut out 1/3 of the weight and make some nice places to hold on to the rest of the safe. It wasn't that bad.

My inlaws are in the process of building a cabin. They had an old Gun safe they decided to put in the 3rd floor bedroom. Well after the house was framed and floors put in they had a crane there that was going to start putting the roof on. They asked the workers to lift the gun safe with the crane and carefully set it where they wanted. Well..... The safe broke through 3 floors and ended up about 3 inches deep into solid concrete in the basement where it belonged....lol

Them things are HEAVY!
Don't know what kinda Safe you're getting?
Don't know what kind of Dolly you have either,but a cheap one ain't gonna do.
Might be the best 100.00 you ever spent.
Let us know how many battle wounds your house gets?

I bought mine at Cabelas and hauled it home myself but wanted it on the second floor, paid a moving company $200 to carry it up the steps, well worth it.

If you think they are going to have their insurance pay for any damages they incur then you are sadly mistaken. I don't have that kind of faith in anyone. It will be their word against yours when it comes to filing a claim. Good luck with that. Get some help and do it yourself.

I moved last year and the going rate was $250. If you don't have major elevation changes from outside to final destination, you could do it by yourself if you are reasonably fit. Go to the hardware store and get some 1" PVC schedule 40 pipe. Cut a few 2' to 2.5' pieces. When delivered, have them set it on the pipe, and one person can maneuver it rolling on the pipes.

thanks for all the replies so far, I still dont know if I will do it or have them do it. If I was going a long ways it would be well worth having them do it, but it is only about 25 to 30 feet from the front door, and no stairs where it will be and I am having a hard time justifying that.

i got one a few months ago and same thing - driveway or 100.oo in the house. i thought the same thing but once i was in the middle of it i wish i would have just paid.

i had 4 guys total and a good dolly with the locking wheels so it cant tip backwards. i put plywood down on my floors to roll over. i have tile and thought i might break some but not problems with the wood down.

they are extremely heavy so dont underestimate that. if you lay it down you'll have a tough time getting it back up. even with 4 guys.

good luck and dont get yourself a hernia!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

When I moved mine I did the same as marley. Took the door off to reduce the weight. There is a ball bearing in each of my hinges, not sure if they all have that type of setup.I didn't have any stairs to deal with. The guy that originally delivered it had an electric hand truck that could climb stairs.

I own a safe company and $100 is cheap. Like what has all ready been said I have to worry about your tile, carpet ,walls. How far are they driving to deliver your safe. My times worth something. I have to pay for fuel. Depending on size I might have to bring one or two guys. They dont do it for free either. What Brand of safe did you buy?

It is a champion safe. And my house is only 5 to 10 mins from their store and as I stated above only about 30 feet to go inside the house. If they wanted $50 I think I would do it for sure. But I still have a few days to decide what to do.

I just bought a safe last month, (stepson had to move back with us and he's does drugs), and Hammerback's in Brigham Utah charged me $150 to set it in place. I figure I saved money by not having to rent a climbing dolly and paying a couple guys to help. Pay the man.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

I also sale Champion and Cannons. You did good. What Model did you get? First he has to load it. When he gets there hes still has to unload,unbox, take it off the pallet. Get it on to a dolly ask you where you want it. You will show him where it has to go and what to look out for. He has a atleast a hour into maybe more. I think a hundred is fair. Ive also had guys tip me for the job weve done.

>Just pay the $100 bucks ya
>cheap a$$..............

+1

Think of it as 4 prepaid copays to the chiropractor.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I would wait for them to deliver the safe, let them see how far they would have to move it inside and then offer them the $50. cash. Most delivery men will do the move pocket the $50. and tell the company they dropped it in the driveway. But I would pay the $100 if it came to it then again my safe was a heritage and empty wieghed 1250lbs.....

Them requesting an extra 100 bucks for in house set up is standard with just about any safe company. Driveway delivery is done by a hydralic lift gate and the company does not have to send extra help to do that. To set it up in the house requires extra help being sent and heavy commercial dolly.
If I had had that cheap of price for in home setup, I would have jumped at it for 100 bucks instead of having my son and his friends coming over and helping with two safes I have installed.
Pay the money and enjoy it instead of taking the chance of injury to yourself or your house.

RELH

Bought one form Cabelas this fall, 850 pounds. They delivered it to the garage got 3 buddies to help and an borrowed an appliance cart. Took about 10 minutes and was very easy to take it down stairs and get it to where I wanted it.

$100 Sounds like a deal to me. My dad just paid $200 to have his delivered. I thought he was crazy but after it was all said and done he said it was well worth it.

Man I didnt think this would be such a popular topic, I was just wondering if it is standard for them to charge like that for delivery. You never know with this local sporting goods store, they have a bit of a reputation of gouging people. Now I know it is a normal practice to charge fees like that. I am just use to getting furniture every bit of it I have bought has been delivered and set up free. It sounds like the $100 isnt a bad deal, I guess if I were as rich as some people I wouldnt have even questioned it, but every dollar is worth something to me. By the way for those who asked it is the Champion Trophy 35 Granite Safe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom