NEW SHEEP HUNT IN CA???

hntnnut

I've herd theres a new sheep hunt in the White Mountians east of Bishop (3 tags???). Anyones thoughts, comments? anyone know much about the area? I believe it's Realy high country 10-14 thousand ft. more like Mountian than desert sheep habitat.

hntnnut

Lots of sheep in that area. Early season (aug -sept) because of the altitude. Huge area but with some research the sheep areas can be narrowed down. No real bombers expected but some 170's have been picked up over the years. Silver Canyon on the north west corner of the zone just out of Bishop has been a good area to view sheep and I would expect it to get some attention.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

LAST EDITED ON May-06-05 AT 08:04PM (MST)[p]hntnnut,

California Chapter of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep paid to have the unit surveyed last year. Survey was done both by remote camera and personal observation of researcher. This ensured that both ewe/lamb and ram counts were done at the same time. Area is too high for the choppers that California Department of Fish & Game normally uses for surveys, thus it had to be done from the ground. Nice large herd with very good herd dynamics. Unit has never been hunted so the hope is that guys with tags will be able to get in there and pull out some real nice, old rams. Nice return on the investment (getting a new unit open and three new desert bighorn tags available).

Ramdreamer,

Is fnaws -ca going to continue to fund the survey yearly? I know one of the auction hunters is bound and determined to kill the first White Mts. sheep. Are the auction hunters getting to start in July??

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

LAST EDITED ON May-06-05 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]D13er,
Not having a crystal ball, I can't forecast what the future will bring. Considering CA FNAWS' commitment to the resource and their supporters (hunters), I am pretty comfortable that a "whatever it takes" attitude will rule the day. Are all of the units surveyed annually?

The auction tag description from the National FNAWS convention in San Antonio stated: "The tag holder will be able to hunt up to one month prior to the opening of the general bighorn season and over a period of up to three months, if desired."
Given that statement I would assume (but do not claim to know for sure) that an auction tag holder could start hunting a month prior to August 6th, 2005 (in the White Mountains).

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ramdreamer,

Yes, they have to survey each unit every year and set the tag number based on rams observed on that particular day---15% of observed. They have always tried to fly the same pattern and hours to make the survey uniform from year to year. That's why the quetion....with a ground survey, the yearly thing might be difficult to keep consistant. I haven't been too involved in the last several years but flew on some of the survey flights in the old dads and kingstons in the late 90's.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Thanks for the history. I appreciate it! That tells me things are changing then. And that system is flawed due to changing habits of the sheep and them becoming "conditioned" to avoid the choppers (this has been observed in a number of states and is a major concern). I am personally averse to the expanded use of choppers over the years (both from a cost and effectiveness standpoint). It makes people lazy. In Colorado extensive ground surveys are used (in addition to flying) and this year they will be expanded in order to get a handle on what's happening in a few of the units due to the sheep apparently changing their pattern of movements over the years. (Welcome to habitat encroachment 101, huh?) Due to the gross mis-management of the Mojave Preserve in California, the sheep have been impacted far more than the preservationists would ever admit. I'll not get on that soapbox for now.

Thanks for all the great info and feedback you guys gave me a better understanding of how things work it seems like this could be a realy unique hunt due to the terrain. I took my dad up silver canyon a couple of years ago, and it looks like extremly rugged terrain. Maybe i'll have too take another drive up there and pay a little more attention. Although that road requires quite a lot of attention in of its self, Just a bit spooky.

thanks again HNTNNUT

Silver Canyon is not included in the hunt, it will be Mono County only which should make things a little more challenging.

oh boy, that will make things more interesting. It will also make the southern border difficult to accurately locate.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

If thats the case then it would indeed. I've up to the Whites from the east side (Nevada side), And there just ain"t no easy way to get in to them hills. The only way to axcess this range is from the south. Anyone know off hand where the county line crosses the road on top or does it cross past the locked gate?

HNTNNUT

The county line crosses just to South of Sage Hen Flat (on top) so the access is still good, in fact the very (very!) top of S.C. is in Mono County. The rule basically just keeps hunters from working Silver Canyon.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-05 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]One will be with Terry Anderson.I believe Karl Malone is the second auction hunter and don't know who he is with.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I think Yeager, which would be a good choice considering his extensive knowledge of these sheep.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-05 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]Ramdreamer,

I believe Butch has a guy from Oregon that he always uses but Terry is involved and doing alot of the early leg work.

Jerkee,

Yeager is the source of info for every guide even contemplating working there. I hear his phone hasn't quit ringing.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Boy, with the names you guys throw around it's almost like you know something that really matters in life. Hope the mailman nails a nice one. He deserves one.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-05 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-12-05 AT 09:52?PM (MST)

You are smooth Sam

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

San Gorgonio Wilderness Outfitters are hunting with Butch and with Extreme Outfitters on Karl Malones hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom