New sheep zones and fund raiser tags

P

popeyoung2

Just curious how many guys put in for the new sheep zones and how many extra fund raiser tags did You buy? I put in for the new zone with max points on sheep and bought the fund raiser tags. Statistically, buying a second fund raiser tag does not double your odds. Say a prayer and Good luck to all on the draw.

I applied for Cady Mnt sheep. Along with everyone else probably. I try to apply where I think my odds will be best, and guess wrong most of the time! Haha! Bought a couple of fund raiser tags for each hunt too.

Don P.

We may never get the totals on the funds generated from the raffle tags, but it will be a BUNDLE!

We easily had 30 calls from non resident elk hunters asking about the hunt possibility in the Owens Valley. At least 2 of them were investing $1000 for elk tags in hopes of adding tule elk to their collection.

I bought $25 worth of each....donation I guess.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Naw, i have been putting in for the Old Dads seems now forever. That hunt has always been my dream hunt, actually have had sweet dreams of being there, looking through my spotter and picking out Rams on the rock. Haven't got a clue what i'd do if ever i drew out... but i'd sure have fun learning!

No Fund Raiser tags for me, this year anyway. For some reason i seem have a bunch of slow pay clients, "checks are in the mail". Riiight!

Joey

If 30,000 tickets are sold the odds with buying 1 ticket is 1 in 30,000. The odds when you buy 200 tickets for $1,000 is 1 in 29,800. If someone will drop $1,000 for tickets why not spend $15,000 and buy a tule in Santa Clara county? Maybe because it's a tax deductible donation?

I put in for the Cady's also in the hopes of better odds with max points. I've already got one sheep tag in hand (Wy.)I did buy a couple tickets. Good luck!

>If 30,000 tickets are sold the
>odds with buying 1 ticket
>is 1 in 30,000. The
>odds when you buy 200
>tickets for $1,000 is 1
>in 29,800. If someone will
>drop $1,000 for tickets why
>not spend $15,000 and buy
>a tule in Santa Clara
>county? Maybe because it's a
>tax deductible donation?

If there were 30,000 tickets purchased, the fool buying 200 tickets would be MUCH better off going to Vegas and putting his $1,000 on red 4 times. With that said, the fools odd would be no where near as bad as 1 in 29,800. Your calculation is way off.

Bought one each of the fundraisers.

Trying to outguess everyone else...I was thinking more might jump on the new zones, so I stuck with the White Mtns, as they usually have about the best max point draw odds, and might as well take advantage of being close and the work I put in keeping in shape...

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]bought 3 deer tickets each for all 4 hunters in my house.

went with the Cady Mts. sheep hunt with max pts. I thought it might have better odds, but peez and EFudd are probably right. it is cool to have a couple more options

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]>>If 30,000 tickets are sold the
>>odds with buying 1 ticket
>>is 1 in 30,000. The
>>odds when you buy 200
>>tickets for $1,000 is 1
>>in 29,800. If someone will
>>drop $1,000 for tickets why
>>not spend $15,000 and buy
>>a tule in Santa Clara
>>county? Maybe because it's a
>>tax deductible donation?
>
>If there were 30,000 tickets purchased,
>the fool buying 200 tickets
>would be MUCH better off
>going to Vegas and putting
>his $1,000 on red 4
>times. With that said,
>the fools odd would be
>no where near as bad
>as 1 in 29,800.
>Your calculation is way off.
>

I took statistics 35 years ago but I am sure I am right on the odds. Please have a math teacher or engineer run the odds. The cal. lotto is 1 in 80,000,000. If you buy a second ticket your odds are 1 in 79,999,999, not 1 in 40 million. Thats ok, most people thought the new milennium started on 1/1/2000. California high school math is not known for excellence. I will also bet they sell way more then 30,000 tickets. Great fund raiser for the state.

+1 on the Cadys. New units always attract a lot of attention from applicants, the Whites were tougher to draw that first year until people heard that they couldn't get their pickup very close to the rams.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 01:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 12:47?PM (MST)

Mr. Pope,

Maybe a simple example will help. Assume there was 10 tickets purchased and you purchased 8 of the 10. Based on your fuzzy math, your odds of drawing would be 1 in 2. Now that's some crazy math. Regarding your comment about CA high school math, it's a good thing that i received most of my statistics training while earning an economics degree at UCLA and an MBA at USC. While at USC, i was also a statistics TA for the MBA classes.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 02:15?PM (MST)

If you bought 80% of the tickets? lets see, if 50,000 tickets are sold, you would have to buy $200,000 worth of tickets for an 80% chance.Screw it, not worth the debate. good luck to all in the draw.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-11 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]Update, I found and read my stats book. Sierra is correct. This is a one item draw not a multiple combination lotto draw. Therefore if 50,000 tickets are bought your odds for buying a second ticket would be 1 in 25,000 or double than if you had bought a single ticket. Thanks for setting me straight Sierra. Damm, I should have bought more then 50. I still believe it was Your UCLA undergrad that gave you the wisdom, not Tommy. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom