new stock for my 300 RUM

nitis

Ok ordering a new stock for my 700 sps 300 rum I bought it as a plane jane sps so I could upgrade it however I saw fit now I have it teflon coated and a new timney trigger ready to install just need to decide which stock?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a tan with black web bell and carlson alaskan witht he full bed block in it

ButI am not opposed to other ideas maybe even a laminate. this is not my primary rifle but I want it setup right.

The alaskan is IMO a good stock for the money. I had one for a short while. It was a drop in fit with my rifle. My only complaint (and I don't know how it compares as I haven't had any others) was that it felt slippery to hold on to. You can have them put their Maxxguard on for a little more money, which may be a solution to this.

I wouldn't hesitate getting one again, but with the maxxguard (which they said would take a few extra weeks to receive). I've heard good things about the HS Precision stocks as well. They are like $100 more than the alaskan. I may try one of them next time just to try something different.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-12 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]>Ok ordering a new stock for
>my 700 sps 300 rum
>I bought it as a
>plane jane sps so I
>could upgrade it however I
>saw fit now I have
>it teflon coated and a
>new timney trigger ready to
>install just need to decide
>which stock?
>
>I am ready to pull the
>trigger on a tan with
>black web bell and carlson
>alaskan witht he full bed
>block in it
>
>ButI am not opposed to other
>ideas maybe even a laminate.
> this is not my
>primary rifle but I want
>it setup right.

Just did that exact thing, (different color). Got the stock from Redhawk http://redhawkrifles.com/. $235 shipped.
Had to add a washer to make the magazine cover fit just right.
Tightened up the groups by about 1/2 MOA.
Remember to file out the pressure points near the front of the stock if you want to float the barrel.

80912012-03-26_17-07-42_518.jpg

23812012-03-26_17-07-57_7.jpg

I put a B&C Alaskan Ti on my RUM before last hunting season. I hunted in all kinds of weather and didn't notice it being slippery. I also did not get the full length block to save a few ounces. Look at stockysstocks.com. I think it's a damn good stock for the money. mtmuley

Has anyone handled an alaskan or other B&C with maxxguard? Is it worth $40?

I was kind of wanting one with the checkered grips but the only place I can find one is midway and they are about $50 more money and it sounds like its not a drop in fit for magnums

Oh decisions If I decide I want the maxxguard I have to get a green one which would then match my 257 wby but if I opt to not get it I can get any color I want.

I am also pretty sure I wnt the block for some added strength just because who knows maybe I am wrong

Nitis there are many good stocks out there. What is the rifles primary use? Hunting? Long range? Backpack style hunting? Do you have a weight limit?

nitis,

I've wondered how the stock would handle with the maxxguard as well. The one I had w/o the finish I think could have been livable, but would have taking some getting use to (for me anyway). I've heard that the maxxguard is quieter when rubbed against brush, but have not been able to find any input towards the feel/touch.

When I talked to stockys a little while back they could get maxxguard in any color it just would take 8 weeks.

The reason I don't have my alaskan stock now is mainly for not liking the color I picked (I had tan w/ black web, but my gun was stainless. The two just didn't go well together). What I am saying is, get the color you'll be happy with.

It will be my #2 hunting rifle for the rare occasion I may go after something larger than deer or if I will be in really windy conditions that could blow my 257 around or longer range situations.

My rifle is already teflon coated black so grey or green will be fine its just a mater of deciding which one!

I mean if I spend the extra $40 on maxx guard should I spend 40 more and get a HS precision? Where do you stop?

And do I really need the full block probably not its not like I am taking this thing to a prarie dog town it might go a whole year without being fired

Nitis the full bedding block is nice and does add a little weight to the stock. The hs precision stocks are nice. If you are looking for a used one check 24hr campfire or long range hunting. Always lots of stocks for sale.

i just got my h.s. in last week for my rem 700. ordered from stockys and it took 4 months. actually had to switch colors or i still wouldnt have it. they were on sale for 299 when i ordered. took it in and had a sims custom fit to it. picked it up last night. can't wait to see how it shoots. the bdl fluted barrel/action fits like a glove. no high spots..paper slips up through it perfectly.

Synthetic stocks
1. McMillan or Manners
next rung down (large gap)
2. HS Precision
next rung down (even larger gap)
3. Bell & Carlson

Laminated wood stocks
any (with pillar bedding)

Just be sure you do or get a good bedding job done and it will be there and ready when you are.

Buy the RMEF XCR stock sale in the classified add for $100, and Glass bed the action. I was going to buy a HS stock for my custom 300 RUM. But when mine shot 1/2 inch groups with the standard sps stock it came with after a good bedding job. I just bought a XCR camo stock because I like the looks of them best. You can buy a glass bedding kit from Brownells for about $30 and do about 5 guns with it.

My RUM shot like crazy with the factory tupperware and no bedding......until it cracked. Shoots just as well with the Alaskan Ti. Haven't bedded it either. I'd like a Lilja in the next year or so. Maybe I'll bed it then. mtmuley

>Buy the RMEF XCR stock sale
>in the classified add for
>$100, and Glass bed
>the action. I was
>going to buy a HS
>stock for my custom 300
>RUM. But when mine
>shot 1/2 inch groups with
>the standard sps stock it
>came with after a
>good bedding job. I
>just bought a XCR camo
>stock because I like the
>looks of them best.
>You can buy a glass
>bedding kit from Brownells for
>about $30 and do about
>5 guns with it.

i just posted an xcr there too. its in very good shape. standard black/gray....not camo. shoot me a pm if interested.

>Has anyone handled an alaskan or
>other B&C with maxxguard?
>Is it worth $40?
>
>I was kind of wanting one
>with the checkered grips but
>the only place I can
>find one is midway and
>they are about $50 more
>money and it sounds like
>its not a drop in
>fit for magnums
>
>Oh decisions If I decide I
>want the maxxguard I have
>to get a green one
>which would then match my
>257 wby but if I
>opt to not get it
>I can get any color
>I want.
>
>I am also pretty sure I
>wnt the block for some
>added strength just because who
>knows maybe I am wrong
>

I have an Alaskan Ti 25-06 with the factory B&C stock & the Maxxgaurd on it. When i first got it I thought it was just a dumb gimmic but it does feel pretty good when its cold or especially in the rain. I hunt in Oregon mostly and we get a lot of rain on the west side of the state and for those conditions its kind of nice. So far its holding up well with no problems.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom