New to Archery. Any help appreciated.

Fire_Hawk

Alright,

I have finally done it now. As if I didn't have enough hobbies already, I now own a Hoyt Protec that is set up really nice. I don't even know where to begin.

I will be hunting deer in Utah this upcoming August with a couple of friends that have Archery hunted and shot tournaments for years. I look forward to this challenge. That said.....any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I will gradually step up the poundage on my bow to around 65 lbs or so, right now it is set at about 55#. I am short and the bow is adjusted to its shortest draw length. I don't recall what it is, but I am only 5'8" and have short arms.

I would love the basic knowledge of how to choose broadhead weights type, arrow weights and types, hints on shooting well etc. Of course anything else you have in the way of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Firehawk

THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE.AS FAR AS ARROWS AND ACCESORIES GOES THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT CHOICES IF YOU ASKED 10 GUYS WHAT THEY SHOOT YOU WOULD PROBABLY GET 10 DIFFERENT ANSWERS.GO TO YOUR LOCAL ARCHERY SHOP AND THEY SHOULD SET YOU UP. I PERSONALLY LIKE A MECHANICAL BROADHEAD AND I LIKE THE EASTON EPIC CARBONS FOR HUNTING.I STILL THINK SHOOTING 20 TO 30 ARROWS 3 TIMES A WEEK IS KEY. GOOD LUCK HUNTING!

So Ruthunter, you think I should practice? ;>)

I agree. I purchased a "Block" and last fall and late summer spent some time in the backyard. I need to venture to a different location where I can shoot further distances than my backyard will allow, not to mention that hole in the vinyl fence DOH!

Are there any specific books or videos that would be particularly good at teaching me the basic techniques too?

Thanks!

Firehawk

Before you start to shoot at longer distances....get very good and confident at shorter distances. This will help you be able to shoot longer distances. Start no farther than 20 yards, when your group of 3 arrows is no more than a 1 1/2 to 2 inch group, then move out to 30 yards. I would not shoot broadheads until you've gotten really good with your fieldtips. The key is to build confidence in you shooting ability. If you are not certain where your arrow will be hitting, it may cause you to jerk or flinch as you release the arrow.There will be many more posts here from guys that have been shooting a lot longer than I have. You'll get plenty of good advice. Good luck. It is a blast!

Steve

Thanks Wiszard!

I ruined a few fletchings already as I have shot in the backyard. No "Robinhoods" yet, but I ruined on nock and several fletchings. Of course the snow has slowed me down so I need to get back out there to shoot more. My backyard will allow a 20 yard shot safely. To do this, I shoot diagonally across the back yard. In August and September, I was shooting about 20-25 times every night and was starting to feel good about it all.

Now that I have had a lay off of sorts, I will need to get back out and probably start all over again.

Thanks!

Firehawk

Broadhead weight is pretty much your choice. I like a 100 grain mechanical for deer, antelope and pig. For elk I like a 125 grain. Remember you dont have to shoot a lot of pounds on your bow to be accurate, do what is comfortable. As far as arrows look at the easton epics or axis. As far as the size of arrows to shoot all manufacters have a sizing chart to fit your needs.

Roy, is tough it may take a bit of a drive but you should go to a good proshop and make sure your bow is set up to fit you. Most peoples bows draw length is off, this can create all sorts of problems that will haunt you for along time. The closet good shop guy is going to be Gerald at Utah Archery Center in Murray.

i am no pro at shooting, but just keep practicing. there are tips on ways to shoot, but no one can teach you too shoot as well as yourself. you will learn by practicing. my buddies all shoot competition and have gone through the classes and they make fun of the way i shoot, they lol until we have our own competition when we are out shooting, but its just the way i shoot, it feels good to me and i shoot accurately doing it.

Firehawk go to sportsmans in Riverdale and ask for Brian he knows what he is doing... dont let anybody else help at sportsman..if Brian is not there than ask when he will be and then go back when he is.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-08 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]Thanks very much for the offer Timberline. I might just take you up on the offer.

I just picked up some Axis 400 arrows and some 100 grain Field tips. I plan on getting the target out this weekend and flinging some arrows to get the hang of it again. Hopefully all goes well. I only have about 7 months to get "perfect" so I can harvest my first archery deer. I don't have my sights set too high, I only need to harvest a large 4 point with 25" or better spread on public land;>)

Elkhorn, I did pick up the arrows at Sportsman's and a gentleman by the name of Brian was very helpful. I am sure it is the same guy you refer to. My arrows were cut to 27" due to their suggestion after seeing me draw the bow.

Thanks again for the help.

Firehawk

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom