"New" Unit 61 Early Elk Rifle hunt

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
What do you guys think of this new hunt?

I hunted the archery seson in "08" and I had a buddy that hunted the 1st rifle in "11."

Both were great hunts. My buddy experienced good rut action the second Saturday on October. The best bull he saw was 370" according to him, and several 340+ bulls. The best bull we saw in "08" was about 340" but saw several in the 330"-340" catagory.

So with this EARLY rifle hunt, what do you predict?

Season dates are October 1-October 7. 2 weeks before the traditional "1st season."

Plus the dark of the moon is 9/30/16.

Your thoughts?

It'll be better than first rifle the 15th, only because they get first crack with a rifle. First crack with a rifle affords the best opportunity in most units. Once the orange army rolls thru they're either dead, on private or invisible. The limited tag units don't feel this quite as much but it does have an impact. The rest of the factors in your equation pale by comparison as to their impact.

61 will be just fine for the regular first rifle, there are so few bulls tags for the early rifle it won't make much of a blip.

Hunter,
Should be a great hunt can't wait to see how you guys do. I had planned on Archery hunting 61 but with this new early hunt I have enough points to draw the "old" early hunt so I plan on doing it in the next few years.

Coloradoman

I am Hunter's dad and am 81 years old. we bow hunted 61 in 07 and had a great hunt. At my age I do not know how many hunts I have left. When I saw an early rifle for unit 61 I called Hunter (by the that is his real name) and told him of the tag, he said buy It.Any help you could give us would greatly appreciated.Thinks like rain fall,road conations, anter growth. We are going to get there on the 26 of Sept. to have 4 days to scout. Thanks in advance and hope you have great year.

Bob A.

Oil,

IMO the archery is way better. Draw a year the season dates run long into late Sept, hunt the week before the dark of the moon and first 4-5 days of new moon.

You'll have a great hunt with close encounters with rutting bulls daily.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom