New Vortex Viper HD or original Vortex Razor?

DesertSheep

I have some $ burning a hole in my pocket and I'm leaning towards the new Viper HD 10x42, but I've found the non-HD Razor for less than the new Viper HD.

Anyone have any idea how these would compare against each other?

I've had the 10x42 original and the new HD side by side. The HD are brighter and they do have a sharper edge. The fit, feel, and function are the same. The difference is there, but is really not significant. However IF I were getting them from scratch, I'd get the HD. I guess it depends on how much money you have and how hot the hole in your pocket is.

In short the HD is an improvement, but not a "blow the old ones out of the water" event.

That's kind of what I have read, that the HD is a "small" step up, and probably more of a marketing thing than anything else.

Thanks for the advice. The burning is hot for me, but not so much for the wife that said "You would spend that much on bino's, but wouldn't on a chair?" I said "In a heartbeat".

You should have seen the chair.....

>I've had the 10x42 original and
>the new HD side by
>side. The HD are
>brighter and they do have
>a sharper edge. The
>fit, feel, and function are
>the same. The difference
>is there, but is really
>not significant. However IF
>I were getting them from
>scratch, I'd get the HD.
> I guess it depends
>on how much money you
>have and how hot the
>hole in your pocket is.
>
>
>In short the HD is an
>improvement, but not a "blow
>the old ones out of
>the water" event.

Just to be clear, you compared the VIPER HD to the original RAZOR, right?

Good catch, sometimes my reading comprehension sucks as it did there. That was Viper to Viper. I think the original RAZOR is still better than the Viper HD, although the Viper image appears brighter due to a more neutral color bias than the original Razor which always has a warmish reddish tint.

Another case of you should try before you buy, because IMO, the original Vipers are better than the original Razors. Not sure what it is, but the Razors seem dim and feel like you're looking through two narrow tubes to me. I've tried several pair and have never been wowed by them.

Absolutely agree about the Razor, 4by... very unimpressed with any of the models I've looked through. Never used a Viper, but a good bud of mine had several (warranty replacements) of them things and never had much good to say about em anyway

I do like the big Kaibabs quite well, at least the older ones...new version looks to have some funky, rather weak lookin construction

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom